Saturday, May 5, 2018

Unknown for a Reason - Chapter 4 - Know Nothing, Know Faith. No Faith, Know Nothing.

Chapter 4 – Know Nothing, Know Faith. No Faith, Know Nothing.
I assume the turrets I had are spent or the Carrion figured out that I wasn’t there anymore since the streets are filled with Carrion. It’s a great time as any to test my sniper mode with the silencer since there aren’t as many out here. I go to a mostly deserted area on top of a roof and snipe the furthest Carrion. The Carrion around them wonder where the shot came from, but they’re mostly clueless. I snipe off a few legs before trying to snipe Carrion closer to me. After shooting, I get the same result, so I keep sniping off limbs until I feel like the streets are safe enough to move through. I also take an extra shot at the limbs, so they don’t get back up. That should be enough. The charge on my gun is okay, but I should get it charged soon. Pieces of shit deserved that. Wait…Is that Nova? I think I can see her, Ben, and Pascal going in the direction of the hospital. I knew they were still alive. This better not be a hallucination or else I’ll be beating these Carrion into the ground until the sun rises.
My way to the hospital is safe, but I still feel like I’m being watched by somethings that want to kill me. I can feel them staring at me from the shadows.
“Creepers, I know you’re out there! I’m already taken, so there’s no point in stalking me, and I don’t do want another girl in my life! One is enough trouble, trust me,” I call out to whatever is watching me.
No response. My creepers’ presence feels as if it’s coming closer to me, so I run ahead to the hospital, which is blocks away. They’re coming closer and closer now. The faster I move, the faster they move, but I’ve made it. Once I’m in the hospital, I sit down for a bit to rest from running so much. The presence of my creepers is fading away now that I feel a bit safer. Now to find my crew.
I hope they found a way to repair the ship or at least get off this planet. The hospital looks messier than outside does and that’s saying something. It looks like a surgery gone wrong. There’s an electrical tool charging system in the mechanics closet, so I use it to charge up my gun to clean up what’s here, so it doesn’t come back to life. There are Carrion here that are strapped to patient gurneys. I guess people just left them here after they turned, or they might’ve been trying to see if they can cure this. Among the scattered papers, I find a few that say they were trying to do exactly both of these. Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be a cure, nor does there seem to be a definite cause. The only theory they had was that the planet itself caused this since people acted funny a week after they settled on the planet. They couldn’t pin down how the planet caused this, but they did start an operation to go further into the planet’s core for possible answers since the composition of the planet was like that of flesh. Exposure to the planet causes auditory and visual hallucinations and the planet seems to be getting worse with newcomers experiencing these things earlier than those who came to the planet first. I’ll have to check that out with my crew when I find them.
Back to the patients, they appear to be heavily strapped to the gurneys, so they shouldn’t be a problem. Woah! Some Carrion patients have appendages that extend to try to kill me from the room. There are too many limbs to shoot off, so I’ll have to go through a mess of intestines, limbs, and sharp bones that try to kill me while I make it through the patient area. Where would my crew be? The supply closets are my first guess, but they’re all empty on all floors. Where the heck would they-oh there they are. How did they make it through all those Carrion patients? Whatever, they just went into the room at the end of the hallway on the third floor that I’m on. I make it through the Carrion and go into the room…where are they? There aren’t any other exits out of this room. I swear I wasn’t hallucinating. They left another video message here.
It’s just Nova, Ben, and Pascal in this video and they’ve recorded this video in this room. They seem tired.
Nova says, “Hey, lucky charm. Things are getting pretty bad now. I’m sorry we didn’t go back to get you as soon as we encountered the Carrion. We could’ve really used your help. We’re going back to the ship, but if you find this message then, hopefully, you’ll find us waiting back at the ship. Once we’re all together, we’re going to destroy this planet, so that no one else will suffer like this place did. We can’t escape this planet. All of the ships are gone and the pieces we need to repair went with them.”
Pascal steps in, “But we have to do this. Think about the people back home.”
“I think he knows,” Ben says.
“I know man, but still.”
“I’m sorry things have to end this way and I’m sorry for this too.”
She…she takes out the ring I wanted to give her and shows it to the camera.
“I found this in one of your pockets. It’s beautiful. I want to let you know that…yes, I do want to be your wife. This is the reason why we’ve made it this far. You kept me alive. Kept us alive. If, in the event, that we don’t make it back…destroy the planet anyway. We’ll see each other again afterward anyway. I love you, my lucky charm.”
…That first Carrion I met…was actually Nova. The other Carrions were probably Ben and Pascal…Fucking rotting corpses! Fucking garbage ass planet! I’ll do it guys. I’m going to blow up the planet, but how? Oh, you guys left me a copy of your plans? This planet’s core is apparently that of a living organism with a heart at the center. I can probably destroy it since it’s reported to be fleshy like a heart. They have drill submarines that should take me to it. Submarines? Yeah, apparently the inside of the planet is also pretty bloody. It might as well be a literal planet-sized monster. What better way is there to go out than to destroy a planet-sized monster and getting revenge for the friends I’ve lost? Oh, and Nova left me another modification. That’s my girl. I replace all my modes in my gun except for the welding and make it into a handheld minigun with an extended charge. Let’s rock.
With the minigun, I tear through the Carrion appendages. Once outside, I bury every Carrion that comes at me that I haven’t de-limbed with a barrage of laser fire. That’s right die you sons of bitches! I hope every single one of you can feel pain! Come on! Keep coming at me! After destroying I don’t know how many, no more appear.
“What? That’s all of you?”
I hear a crow cawing in the distance. Turning around, I see a huge skeletal crow with a human skull sitting at the top of a building. It comes down and collects the flesh of the Ca-oh, now I really get why they call them Carrion now. After collecting all the flesh from the streets, flesh grows from its body and now it has multiple heads and limbs. That won’t save it though. My minigun tears through its flesh and oh ok, it can regenerate, but can it regenerate its heads if I blow it up?! Oh, apparently it can. The crow tries pinning me down, but I move out of the way. Several of its appendages still manage to cut me since it hid them before attacking me. I shoot those off and the ones it keeps re-growing. This thing doesn’t stop, and neither will I until it’s dead. It’s starting to stagger under my constant barrage, which means it must be really feeling the pain now. It tries to grow other appendages and heads to kill me with, but I’ve played way too many arcade games to not react to them in time. Eventually, the crow falls down and I don’t stop firing until the crow is mush in the streets.

Nova always knew what to give me, always knew what to say to make me feel better. Now that I know what I have to do, I head to the planet drills to accomplish my destiny. I put Nova’s ring on my finger. Don’t worry baby, I’ll get this done for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment