Wednesday, April 24, 2024

The Virtue of a Simple Knight: Chapter 1 – Life as a Sword of God


Chapter 1 – Life as a Sword of God

“Howard. Howard!” my friend Alfie says while shaking me.

“Huh? What’s going on? Are we there yet?” I ask.

“No. I was just making sure you were awake. You don’t want to be asleep when Commander Cecil calls us out or we come under attack by rogues or beasts.”

My daydreaming had been distorting me so I have to look around to remember where I actually am. Currently, I’m in the back of a horse-drawn carriage with my fellow knights, Alfie and Bonnie. Our helmets designed after skulls lay next to us along with our swords and shields in reach. Bonnie is drawing and writing in her diary like always, so I look over to see what she’s putting in it. She closes it as if embarrassed by its contents and looks at me as if offended.

“Do you mind?” she asks.

“I was just about to ask what you were drawing and writing. Can I see?” I say.

“No.”

“You might as well stop being so indirect and ask her out, Howard. I know you want to and so does she,” Alfie says.

“What? That’s not it. I was just curious about what she was putting in her diary is all,” I say with my face probably blushing.

“I’m writing down what I plan to do when I get back home. It gives me something to look forward to.”

“You know what my plan is when I get back home? Sleep, eat, drink, repeat,” Alfie says.

“Your family isn’t going to kick you out of your habit to help them make silverware?” I ask.

“They won’t now that I have a good excuse not to help them. Is yours going to make you help in their shop?”

“I honestly hope not, but if I have to, I will.”

“You say that now but after our tour of duty you’ll probably never want to work again.”

“Do you two know each other?”

“Sort of,” I say. “My shop that makes decorative weapons is only a few blocks from where Alfie’s shop is. We’ve probably passed by and seen each other on the streets and at the parish we go to without knowing.”

“Right. We only just figured that out in training when we actually started talking to each other rather than just exchanging small talk. What about you, Bonnie? Are you from Westminster?”

“I’m from Kensington and don’t live too far from the Royal Albert Hall.”

“Ah, so you’re one of those snobby art types then?”

“You may call me that, but I prefer to say that I just have an exquisite taste.”

“I take it back, Howard. This girl is out of your league and it’d be better if you didn’t even try.”

I grunt and look away hoping that we reach our destination soon, and thankfully, we do. Looking around, I see dozens of troops lining up before Commander Cecil, which we join. Many of the troops have variations of skull helmets some of which have a crown of thorns on them such as mine and many wear different colored garbs and skirts that are colored in golds and reds, blues and yellows, and our kingdom's colors of reds, whites, and blues. The elite among us wear lion helmets and their garbs are more luxurious and golden. There are a variety of fresh faces and ones scarred by battle and when I look at mine in the reflection of my helmet, I imagine what I will look like in the future.

For now, my short brown hair and eyes wouldn’t make my face stick out in any crowd or convey to anyone that I’m a knight or soldier of any notable rank or achievement. Meanwhile, Alfie has a scrappy-type look with black hair and green eyes while Bonnie is closer to that of a girl-next-door type look with her light brown hair and dark blue eyes.

Alfie bumps me with his helmet and puts it on while saying, “I know I look stunning, but stop gawking and put your helmet on. The commander will address us soon.”

“Oh, that’s right,” I say as I do as he says.

Commander Maro rides on his horse to the front of where we are all facing and looks at us all. The commander’s helmet is that of a skull much like the common soldier, however, it has a fiercer expression on its face and has been worn and damaged by battle much like his dark grey armor and red and gold garb, a look that his horse also shares.

He then says, “Faithful men and women of the Church. We march on a bandit camp, which has been harassing many local settlements, travelers, and merchants that frequent this area. It’s needless to say we shall show them no mercy other than a quick end to their sinful lives so that they do not earn a greater punishment in Hell. I see that many of you are new and have been assigned to this relatively easy task, but do not think this will be simple nor that everyone will be going back home. Be on your guard and fight as best you can because the enemy will be doing the same and may even have a trick or two up their sleeves. Before we enter into battle, let us pray. Oh God, who is all-knowing, all-wise, and all good, it is known that you are a God of battles and the army that has your favor shall obtain victory.”

“Grant us Your favor that we do not deserve,” we respond.

“And yet we pray for victory.”

“To glorify You.”

“Should we fail.”

“Then may You still be glorified as we sinners obtain our just reward.”

“Let us be your instruments of justice.”

“So that thy will shall be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.”

“Make our motives pure.”

“So that our anger is just.”

“Protect us from all dangers especially those of temptation and sin.”

“So that we may forever serve you in Heaven.”

“St. George, patron of our kingdom.”

“Pray for us.”

“St. Michael, defender of the Church.”

“Pray for us.”

“St. Joseph, defender of the Holy Family.”

“Pray for us.”

“Mary, Mother of the Church.”

“Pray for us.”

“Lord Jesus Christ, Redeemer of the Wicked, Slayer of the Unrepentant, and Prince of Peace.”

“Have mercy on us.”

“Use your weapons of justice as you see fit, Oh Lord, for we are yours and yours alone, and may this shedding of blood and our blood be acceptable to You.”

“Amen.”

Commander Cecil breathes in and out before turning around, drawing his weapon, commanding us to the same, and leading the charge forward into the campsite of the bandits. It isn’t long until we have it in sight. The sound of horns comes from the campsite warning everyone in it of our arrival. Soon after, a barrage of arrows and rocks come flying our way that all raise our shields to defend ourselves from. Thankfully, I don’t think anyone was hit so our charge isn’t impeded and we’re able to break our way through their wooden gates and start the slaughter.

At first, the pure chaos of the battle freezes me in place as I hesitate to choose which bandit to go after. The bandits here are from different places such as Bernhard, Abadon, Canis, and Serpentis as evidenced by their appearance, fighting style, and magic usage. Every one of them seems equally dangerous, especially the ones who can use magic. The choice of who to face is suddenly made for me as a bandit attacks me with their daggers. My panic to defend myself makes me focus and block the enemy’s flurry of attacks until pushing back and cutting them down.

Getting into more fights is now easier thanks to this first one and I am able to help out and even save the lives of my fellow soldiers. The battle seems to be going in our favor with some of the bandits choosing to run away instead of continuing to fight. These runaways are cut down before they can escape and those that manage to escape don’t do so without injury. A sudden commotion among the higher ranked knights and seeing Commander Cecil rally us together steals away my hope that the battle will soon be over and our victory won.

“Don’t let your guard down! We have news of more bandits returning from a raid and they’ve rallied together with the retreating cowards for one last attack,” Commander Cecil says.

We all form into squads around the camp with our shields up already prepared for the approaching bandits and any possible rain of arrows that they may have. Looking to see who’s beside me, I’m glad to see that it’s Bonnie and Alfie who only have to have dirt and light cuts on their garbs and armor.

“Howard! I’m glad to see that you’re still alive and kicking,” Alfie says.

“Don’t act so glad. You lost our bet,” Bonnie says.

“What bet?” I ask.

“Don’t worry about it. Watch out!”

I duck my head just in time as a spear barely grazes the side of my helmet.

“Let’s save the small talk for after the battle, boys,” Bonnie says.

Alfie and I agree before charging with her and our fellow knights at the bandits. With my friends at my side, I feel more confident as I fight and am more efficient at it because of their presence. I cut down foe after foe and while searching for another, I’m surprised to see that there are none left and the battle is won. We all yell out as our commanders announce that the battle is indeed over and won. I hug Alfie and Bonnie with one big hug that Alfie pushes away from and Bonnie giggles.

Going back to the ruins of the bandit camp, we see that many fellow knights were injured during the battle, and against my high hopes, some died as well including Commander Cecil who is said to have died defending the new recruits. These same recruits cry over his body and profusely apologize to him for their mistakes.

“What kind of commander dies to simple bandits?” Alfie says.

“He didn’t just die to simple bandits. He sacrificed his life to save theirs. That’s what a true servant of Christ would do,” I say somewhat upset at Alfie’s indifference to the tragedy of our commander’s death.

“I guess so. I still think it’s an undignified death.”

“The cross was also an undignified death,” Bonnie points out.

“Whatever, whatever. Let’s just help out here so we can head back home sooner.”

Alfie walks ahead of us to ask the remaining commanders what to do. I look over to Bonnie who simply shakes her head and then does the same. Well, I guess I shouldn’t let Alfie’s words bother me and just help out where I can. If anything, I’m glad that we won and most of us managed to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment