Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Royal Criminal: Chapter 1 – Two Redeemed Traitors


Chapter 1 – Two Redeemed Traitors

It was a job arranged by Divine Providence. The job to kill the Pope. The person who gave me the job was mysterious, but he paid well upfront and I didn’t care for his reason for giving me the job, why he chose me, nor his identity so I took it. I snuck my way past security by blending into the crowd, had my shot, and took it by stabbing him in the gut, but it wasn’t enough even though I thought it was. After being taken down by the guards, and locked up in a cell for life, my crimes past and present were painfully tattooed onto my face and neck, and a band of thorny branches was placed on my head. It was after this that I was told that the Pope had survived my assassination attempt, which meant that the promised help I would get to get out of prison wouldn’t come, so I sulked in anger for a while without being able to exit the room and only being given the barest of slop to eat.

Time and my life were meaningless at that time and I didn’t know how much time passed until the Pope, the man I tried to kill entered into my cell. I was so surprised at this that I didn’t even think to try to kill him despite him being alone in the room. He didn’t ask why I tried to kill him nor did he ask for an apology. All we did was talk and relate to one another. Even if you asked me at the time what we talked about, I wouldn’t be able to tell you other than he talked with the voice of God. Something in me radically changed afterward and by the end of the day, I wanted him to stay so we could talk more.

He simply smiled at me and said, “I enjoyed our time together, Escribar. I’ll come back later to see you again, my friend.”

Friend? Me? I tried to kill him not too long ago and now we were friends? What a strange man. Many would’ve and still say so because Pope Ahaziah is a dark elf and one of the original traitors who were the cause of the destruction of the last of the technology of the past and the changing of the lands and people of the Holy Land into what they are now. I guess we were able to relate because we’re both criminals who have done horrible things. Elves like him live longer than normal humans and had to have done decades of penances and good works to become pope so there has to be something special about him.

Over the months, I do my penance and am visited by the Pope until am let out of prison early and then given the position to be his personal guard. This surprised me, and yet, I took the offer right away. Soon after, I trained and then spent every day by his side alongside the Owl Knights to protect his life. Somehow, by the will of God, my life and personality had completely changed because of the Pope’s kindness. I’ve gone from being a nameless mercenary to a royal guard in what seems to be a flash in retrospect. All of this is what I meditate on and recall whenever I fall into sin and hear the vile opinions whispered by our so-called allies who look down on the Pope and me because of our past.

In the current day, we are in my home kingdom of Serpentis to visit its people, offer encouraging words, see the relics of St. James, and celebrate Easter with the capirotes. We enter the streets of the historical city with the Owl Knights closest to us, the heavily armored shield bearers of Equus in the center, and the knights of Serpentis at the very front. Flowers and flower petals descend upon us and are thrown at the feet of the guards while the crowd cheers for us and the choirs sing their praises to God. Meanwhile, Pope Ahaziah waves to the crowd without his mask on so that everyone can see his dark elf, dark blue skin, long pointy black beard, and smiling face.

“Are you sure it’s a wise idea to be without your helmet?” I ask.

“Relax, my friend. If I could survive your attempt on my life, then I’ll survive the attempt of any other assassin that comes our way. If not, then you’ll know it’s my time to go,” Ahaziah says without breaking his smile.

“Still, it’d be best to learn from the lessons of the past,” I say while looking at the hole in the center of the Pope’s helmet that’s lying beside him.

“Then it’s a good thing I have all these men around me who are looking out for my safety. Ah!” The Pope catches a bouquet of flowers through at him and then thanks the person who threw it.

“How do you know there’s nothing dangerous inside them? These people shouldn’t be throwing such things at you.”

“Are you afraid of flowers? Here, inspect them if it’ll make you feel better.”

I do so and find nothing wrong with them.

“They’re fine.”

“See? There’s nothing to worry about. Oh, and aren’t these also the kinds of flowers your parents grew in their garden?”

“They are. I’m surprised you remember me telling you that.”

“I’ll never forget the important details of our talks together. Do you remember what I said of my family?”

“They were fishermen and influential people in their community.”

“Yes. How such simple people as we turned out to be in the places we are in now is a wonder of Divine Providence, isn’t it?”

“It is.”

“Then back to the original point. There’s no need to worry about my safety for if God wants us to be in certain places, He’ll make sure we get there no matter how unlikely it might be.”

“There’s no changing your mind, Ahaziah.”

“No, no there isn’t, my friend.”

There’s the reason why so many people follow Ahaziah. His wit, unmovable mind, and that endearing smile. He uses it when we get to the cathedral and seems to have something of value to say to everyone who approaches him. The Easter celebration goes well until it is stopped and moved to the afternoon mass that is celebrated by Ahaziah. Even at the altar, I stay by his side as a priest and watch out for trouble in the vast crowd. I have to keep my mind off the fact that I’m a priest so I don’t get distracted. It was Ahaziah’s suggestion that I become one and I really only did it so I could be with him at the altar to better protect him, but the process of becoming a priest felt right to me, and celebrating the mass is something that feels natural for some reason. The mass continues on until Ahaziah gives his homily and all sit as he stands by himself at the pulpit.

He smiles and then says, “Friends, Happy Easter to you all!”

The crowd responds by wishing him a happy Easter in return.

“Aha! I’m glad you responded without prompting. Speaking of which, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ sacrificed Himself on the cross without any prompting at all. Think about that, and if you already know it, it’s good to remind yourself. He could’ve let us go on without any way of reaching Heaven or redeeming our souls. It would’ve been easier for Him and He had every right to do so since it was we who betrayed Him, and yet, He chose to suffer and die so that we could be redeemed and be happy with Him. He doesn’t gain anything from our redemption. If He wanted to, He could’ve just created more perfect angels to praise, worship, and do His will without error instead of redeeming traitorous scum like us.”

There’s a venom to those words he said and I know he’s speaking of himself. The weight of his past actions still weighs on him and he shows it by his description of what we are and his long pause.

“But rejoice, my friends! Mercy comes before justice for the Lord our God. He has redeemed us and risen from the grave clearing a way for us to get from the Hell that we’ve created to the Heaven that we’ve earned without merit but by the saving love of our Lord. Praise the Lord, my friends! There’s nothing more to be said on this fine day and every day afterward. Praise the Lord with all your mind, body, and soul!”

The crowd cheers praising the Lord which has broadened the smile on Ahaziah’s face. That smile is quickly wiped away when an arrow made of light flies from the sky and into his chest. As I rush to react and take Ahaziah away, a horde of beastmen descends upon the crowds of people and the guards. The Owl Knights are quickly taken out and the guards from Equus and Serpentis struggle as the beastmen separate them so as to fight both groups on their own. Ahaziah takes the arrow stuck in his armor out and throws it aside.

He then unsheathes his greatsword which has two coiled snakes around it and is his papal staff while saying, “How dare you slaughter my flock while I still stand! I’ll not let this affront to God continue any longer!”

Ahaziah then runs into combat swinging around his greatsword as if it were a weightless knife and using his dark elf magic to spew acid from his mouth to melt the beastmen’s armor and flesh to nothing. I too join the fray with my two swords drawn and carving through the crowd so I can get to him.

Once I do, I say, “Your Holiness! We must get you to safety!”

“No! Not while my people are still in danger!” Ahaziah says.

“We can’t avenge them surrounded like this! We must retreat and regroup! Guards! To me! Defend the Pope!”

“Defend the people!”

We hardly have any more time to argue as a barrage of boulder-sized fireballs descend from the sky and rain down around us. By the time the barrage ends and the dust settles, we see that we managed to make it out alive, but many of the civilians, guards, and soldiers are dead. Most of the beastmen lay dead as well though there are more coming in the distance.

“We have to leave, now!”

Seeing as how there’s no one left to defend, Ahaziah solemnly nods and uses his magic to spew a dark fog from his hands to cover our retreat. Ahaziah is livid by what is happening and what he’s forced to do. His once joyful expression has soured and nothing but a scowl remains and his hands and head seem to be shaking as if containing the holy wrath of God itself. Don’t worry, my friend. We’ll get justice soon once you’re safe and we can plan out our next move.

No comments:

Post a Comment