Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Exorcism of the Hollow: Like a Shadow: Chapter 2 – Erasing the Legends

Chapter 2 – Erasing the Legends

Before me stands a man with only a half-human face with the rest of him being that of a slimy and slithering monster and a vaguely human head on one of his arms with long flowing black hair. He’s a legend that goes by the name Lucanus. When he was overcome with grief at the loss of his mother, he sought the monster of the seas, found a cave system that led to the bottom of the ocean, and spoke with the monster he was searching for. In exchange for worship, the monster granted his mother life by attaching him to his body. To this very day, he’s been worshipping the monster of the seas and converting others to do so.

Right now, I watch as he uselessly tries to get to me since my one arm has turned the floor around him into ice. Lucanus falls again and again on his face while never losing his will to continue. In fact, he might be getting angrier after every fall. This is both somewhat funny and sad to watch as a living legend struggles to even stand against me. What’s also strange for me to look at is the dark hole in his chest, which I can feel emanating an icy chill that’s colder than the ice he’s slipping on even though I’m standing far away from him.

Finally, after watching Lucanus slip and fall over and over again, my hand twists and moves to control the ice beneath Lucanus to make it jut up from the ground and impale his body before tossing it into the sea. Large tentacles then emerge from the sea and pull the city behind me into it. As this is happening, I am immediately teleported outside of it in an instant.

While watching the last buildings of the once immaculate city be pulled into the ocean, I say to myself, “Maybe my name should really be Ruin as my parents named me.”

“You are what I called you after I saved you from your family and orphanage. You are Mar,” my God says from behind me.

“I am glad that you saved me from being sacrificed to strange gods. I always have been.”

Still, I can’t help but feel as if the name Ruin fits me. My life’s story should also be something grander since I was saved and raised by the God of Heaven ever since I was little. At least I think it should be though I guess I can’t complain about that anymore since it’s now turning out to be more special with all these heroes I’m defeating. An apple instantly appears in my hand. I move my mask aside that still sticks to my head and eat it as I think of what the overall grand goal of my God is and what I will get out of it.

Why make some build an ark and make me take out heroes one after the other? Will I be rewarded with a kingdom of my own? Maybe I’ll be given riches and land so I can live peacefully in isolation. Perhaps I’ll be known as a hero above all heroes and my God will be recognized as the God above all gods. That last one seems more likely to me than the others since my God isn’t a fan of worldly wealth and people. As soon as I take the last bite of my apple, I am instantly transported to a new location.

“What happened to flying to places?” I ask.

“My timing will not allow that. Societal and spiritual decay is forcing My hand to enact justice on the guilty earlier rather than later,” my God says.

“I see. Let’s not waste any more time then.”

Again, I am transported in the blink of an eye to the place where God wants me. I am surrounded by huts made of stone and rocks all of which are marked with symbols and stories of each inhabitant written on them. The house in front of me that’s the biggest, has the most varied kind of stones, and the most writing on it is probably the home of the person I’m looking for. Sure enough, a living legend walks out of it. The man carries two daggers and is clothed with the skin of wild beasts and men that hardly hide the black hole in his chest and the writing on his entire body and face that detail his greatest victories.

Xanthos is the man’s name and is a mercenary for his god of victory and valor. He and his followers are said to live out here since they want to live for virtue and their god appearing to be like mine makes them outcasts. As he approaches me, he squints his eyes before sheathing his daggers and offering me his hand to shake.

“Welcome, brother,” Xanthos says.

Confused, my arm shakes as if torn between two wills before I shake his hand. Does my God want me to kill or befriend him?

“Do you know me? Have we met before?” I ask.

“Our God has granted me a vision of your arrival in my dreams. Your name is Mar, correct?”

“Yes, it is.”

“Then there’s no reason to be so cautious of me. You can calm your shaking.”

“I’m not doing the shaking. Our God has control over my powers.”

“If He has control over your powers, then they’re not really yours, are they?”

“I guess you could say that, but my life is still mine despite it being dedicated to Him.”

“Isn’t part of your life your own? Sure, God has a good portion of it, but you also have your own where you do what you want to do.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Maybe we don’t serve the same God after all. Come on out everyone! We must pray over our lost brother to save him from the false version of our God!”

Many people with writing on their bodies come out, form a circle around me, and start to pray. My body feels less twitchy, but something is still wrong about this.

“Don’t resist the effects of our prayers, Mar,” Xanthos says. “Our God has brought you here for purification and to give you a home far from the reach of the pagans and heretics.”

“A home? A real home with people who worship the same God as me?”

“Yes! Now, allow us to free you so that you may be with us.”

This seems too good to be true, so, as in everything, I give you control, my God. My shaking stops along with my nerves as my hands move into a praying position. From my clenched praying hands, a green mist seeps out and spreads throughout the settlement of stone and suffocates everyone to death with its fumes.

“I guess…I guess it really was too good to be true,” I say.

For some reason, I am unable to move from my current position and simply fall to my knees in prayer. Perhaps I am meant to pray for the souls of those who just died. Xanthos did say we worshipped the same God, so perhaps there’s a chance they repented at the time of their death or because they were close to the truth. It is possible they went to the place where my God cleanses souls before bringing them to the place of rest in the underworld, so I pray silently until I am interrupted by the sound of horses making their way to me. As I stand up and turn around, I see that the people on horses have holes in their chests and the one that is leading the group of five is a man with most of his face missing, his teeth showing for all to see, a hole in his chest, red eyes, black gauntlets and armor, and one of his arms being a spear-like blade.

Scipio is the name of this man or at least I think it is. It’s said that he is the conqueror of gods because of his stubborn will. He’s a mysterious wanderer who’s said to go from place to place and replace the gods of people with himself so that he is worshipped instead. Are these people with holes in their chests the gods he’s conquered? The horses they ride on also have holes in their chest, and before I can think about it more, they change into a more human form and all approach me with sinister looks on their faces.

“We came here to collect our tithe from these people, but it looks like you’ve killed them all. Care to explain yourself?” Scipio says in a tone of voice that sounds similar to the sound of a serpent.

“They died because my God wanted them dead and used me to kill them,” I say.

“Ah, so you’re another tool for the so-called divine. I conquered their god and many other gods. The ones surrounding me tell me how you feel, how scared you are, and that you want more than just to serve your God. You want to be loved and honored like the heroes and legends of today. You want to be like me.”

“You’re wrong!”

“Then why are you shaking so much? I’m at the very least partially true. The thought of going against your God of the Heavens, truth, and love is constantly on your mind and you are always in danger of going against Him. Do it. Give into your heart’s desire and you can become a legend like me.”

I struggle to move or do anything. Even my thoughts and prayers are all jumbled because of the voices of the gods in my head.

“Let’s work together on this,” Scipio says, “Your God is just another one I have to conquer and I’ve conquered many like Him. If you help me, I’ll let you tag along with me as my henchman. I’ve always wanted a successor.”

In this dire situation, I have only one course of action, which is the one that I’ve always had. I let go of control of myself and give control and my full trust over to my God. My body stops shaking and my arms welcome Scipio as he approaches me. Thinking he’s won, he comes towards me until he is stopped by one of the gods and then by more of them that surround him. He tries to get them out of his way, but no matter what he does, he is unable to do anything against him and they end up dragging him into the earth. Wow. That was something else that I didn’t expect to happen at all.

“I am master over all, even my enemies,” my God reminds me.

“Of course, of course,” I say with a bit of jealousy within me.

Master even over my enemies…

“The enemy that you should master is the one within and never doubt that I am always with you.”

“Yes, I know. So, where to next?” Silence fills the air. “Lord?”

My body moves on its own, goes over to a tree to make fruit instantly grow and fall from it, and sits down. Okay, it’s break time now, I guess. I need it after what I’ve been through anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment