Sunday, June 25, 2023

The Betrayed, His Worshippers, and Other Logical Contradictions: Chapter 4 – Freeing Chains, Sweet Dogma

Chapter 4 – Freeing Chains, Sweet Dogma

Stuck in her cell with only her thoughts to accompany her, Quem paces around the room to keep herself active and from dying of boredom. She’s been given books and visited by many priests and family to get her to change, however, she’s ignored the books and hasn’t been listening to anyone who has visited her. While doing community service, she’s done more harm than good and has tried to escape on multiple occasions. Currently, she is considered a lost cause and is set to live the rest of her life in prison unless something changes.

“How dare they do this to me. I don’t deserve this,” Quem says to herself every single day ever since the day she was put in prison.

“Who are you to decide what you deserve?” a voice says.

This voice sounds as if they are coming directly from the walls, floor, and ceiling around her.

“Who are you to question me? Who are you? Show yourself, coward!”

Half a person comes out of a wall who looks almost exactly like Quem except this one is decorated in jewelry and crowned with gold.

“I said it! I decide what I deserve.”

“Who and what are you? You aren’t me.”

“You’re right. I’m not because I wouldn’t be stuck in a cell. Regis wouldn’t have denied my marriage proposal. I would’ve been like a queen in a castle with him rather than a slave tending to horses and a farm. I should’ve gotten support for every action that I’ve done after doing so much work for so little.”

“But that’s not what happened.”

“Because of that, I stole and even killed to get what I felt I deserve, what I know I deserve! Looks where that’s put me! There’s no such thing as justice in this world if I can’t get what I know is mine!”

“There is justice,” a new voice says from a different wall.

The version of Quem with a crown goes limb as if her soul was instantly taken out of her. Another version of Quem comes out of a different wall. This one is dressed in black and wears a black veil.

“Justice put me in this cell for my sins. I’ve done so many crimes that I should’ve never been born. I should’ve never hurt Regis the way I did. God have mercy on me for having murdered and stolen from people I was jealous of!  I should just end it all now and bang my head against the wall until I die!”

“No, I can’t!”

“Why not? I’m nothing but trouble to everyone I meet. How could I ever atone for what I’ve done? I’ll always be this way even if I try to change. What’s the point of even living? I’ll never be happy. I’ll never live the way I want to live. I’ll never be the person I want to be!”

“Who cares about that?!” another voice says from a different wall.

Again, the other version of Quem goes limb and another one comes out of the wall, however, this one is more disturbing in that this version of her has skin that’s completely red with veins popping out of it, which are hardly hidden by her dress made out of crimson and black chains that appear to be on fire. Horns adorn her head and her eyes are orange and yellow.

“Who cares about being right or wrong? I only care about doing what I want no matter the cost or what other people think. What’s the point in living life if you don’t live it how you want to?”

“I tried to live how I wanted to and it put me here!”

“So what? If one thing doesn’t work, redefine yourself. If that doesn’t work, do something else. I’ve never been consistent in life. No one ever is. I should run away the next chance I get and if they kill me while I try, then I died fighting for my due freedom. If not, then lucky me.”

“I don’t know if I should do that.”

“Why not? Are you still bothered by what’s right and wrong? Who cares about morals? They’re just used by those above us to make us act like they want or ‘in the best interests of humanity’ whatever that means. Do what you want and justify yourself by any means. Good and evil are all a matter of perspective after all.”

“I don’t know what I should do.”

“Do what you want!” all three versions of her say before arguing among themselves.

Between the three versions of herself, Quem hears three arguments; that she’s pathetic and should just end herself, that she does nothing wrong, and that she can do no wrong. The arguing and contradictions within herself tear her mind apart. Eventually, she falls to her knees, begs for silence, and asks someone to help her decide what to do. A few seconds of chaos pass until a deafening silence suddenly muffles the noise in the cell.

“I can help you discover yourself,” a new voice says that’s unlike Quem’s.

“Who are you and how can you help me? How do you know me?” Quem asks.

“I am the one who made your heart. I am the only one who knows you better than you know yourself.”

“What a preposterous claim. How can you know me better than I know myself?”

“Have you seen all the versions of yourself recently and heard what they said?”

“I see your point. So, how can you help me?”

“Give Me your trust and You’ll see.”

Quem reaches out to a hand in that she sees in the dark corner of her cell. Once she touches the hand, she is blinded by a light that wakes her up and makes her realize that she’s been looking in a mirror the entire time. Happy to see herself, she genuinely laughs and smiles for the first time in a while and then starts praying and reading as the voice of God tells her. Over the next few days, she learns who she is, starts praying, and sings God’s praises to an infectious degree that the other prisoners sing with her. Unsure of what’s happening, the guards go to the source of the singing after questioning the prisoners and are surprised to find that it’s Quem.

At first, they are unsure if she is the same person who was put in the cell because of her smile and what she says about God. This is enough to convince a couple of the guards that they are looking at a completely different woman but they can’t explain what happened to the original Quem. After she talks to the guards, priests, and her parents over several days, they are convinced she’s repented and completely changed. Over three years, she’s paid her price for her crimes through community service and is now a nun. Quem is now her community’s example of what repentance and faith in God can do to a person and is brought out to share her experience and story at many events. Through her work, Quem converts many people to change and becomes an inspiring example to follow to even the most religious and faithful. During one of the events, she is questioned about how exactly she changed and what is the winning formula to do to follow her example.

“That’s both a simple and complex answer,” Quem admits. “When I was lost in my sin, my mind and priorities were constantly changing. I didn’t know what to do and just did the first thing that came to my mind that I thought made sense. It was a horrible cage to live in and I was a tyrant whose rules could change at a moment’s notice. Then, when I let God direct me and become the ruler of my life, I became free. It may sound like a contradiction, but it’s true that we only become free when we constrain ourselves with God’s truth since He is always true. He is the Lord and Creator of my heart and knows what I want even when I don’t know what I want. His rules act as a guide to doing what is right and to act as the person I am truly meant to be. Because of that, my answer is this. The winning formula is simply to let God take control with no reservations or holding back anything. It’s not always clear when a major change will happen or if it is currently happening, but just know that God is always with us and always wants the best for us. Even if we may disagree with Him and fight against Him at every turn, He will continue to try to save us from ourselves until the last moments of our lives.”

No comments:

Post a Comment