Sunday, January 8, 2023

A Blind Heart: Selfless and Sacrificial: Chapter 2 – The Grinding Work of the True

“Many times in history have the truth seekers and fighters for love been oppressed, hunted down, discriminated against, and killed for their beliefs. Even now as of this writing, the people that the Absolute has made His people, His Church turn against each other during a time when the Church has now recuperated itself after the sacrifice of uncounted martyrs. I know that the greatest enemy is from within because I persecuted the faithful who embraced the new covenant made with the Absolute because I was trapped by the laws and customs of the old and my own pride in keeping all the commandments except for the law of love, which is the law above all laws. Listen to me, this ungrateful sinner turned bishop of a diocese, and love one another even if you may have feelings of hatred or distaste for one another and submit to the truth even when it challenges you and you hardly understand it because this is how the conceited and heartless will be saved. This is how we will become truly ourselves and eliminate the enemy within. Bless you, all.”

An Epistle by True Pontius from the Scriptures.

Chapter 2 – The Grinding Work of the True

“Sir Aurelius. The author, Mr. Dirk, is here to see you,” an attendant of the school says from outside my door.

“Let him in,” I say while settling myself at my desk and putting a bookmark on the book I was reading.

Dirk comes into the room, bows, and holds out his hand before saying, “It’s an honor to meet you, Sir Aurelius.”

“It’s my pleasure Mr. Dirk,” I say while shaking hands, “Please, call me Aurelius. Being called sir is unnecessary for this interview.”

“You can call me Dirk and take off the "sir" as well. I’ve heard that you like keeping meetings like these casual and I like that style.”

“It’s simple and keeps things relatable and more human in my opinion. I wouldn’t have minded if you dressed more casually too. I see everything in words after all. Would you like some tea, wine, or coffee? I have all three ready since I didn’t know what you’d prefer.”

Dirk sits on one side of my desk.

“Tea, please. I’ll drink some wine with my dinner after I get done with the interview. Don’t want my handwriting on my notes to be scribbles and want to keep this meeting as professional as possible.”

I pour tea for the both of us and sit down at my desk ready for the interview. Dirk sips his tea and I can see the words comfortable and at ease appear on him. In addition, I also see the words inquisitive and eager. He looks at me and smiles knowing that I can read how he feels.

“Your Heart Absolute ability must be allowing you to read me like an open book, Aurelius,” he says.

“All of reality is like an open book to me with the words bending around the things they describe. Is that why you wanted to interview me rather than the other who can read hearts?” I say.

“Of course, there’s no one else in the world that I know of that has the same ability as you.”

“I’m sure there will be another in time. I mean I’ve heard of scientists and mathematicians who can see the equations that make up reality, but I understand what you would pick me. So, what would you like to ask me for your next best seller?”

“You already understand why if you understand why I would pick you. You see the words the Absolute makes reality out of. It’s why I came to you rather than a man who can read the equations that reality is made of. I want to write a book about how the truths of the world help us in our lives that are stories already written by the Absolute.”

“First, I’d like to say that our stories aren’t already written as far as we know. We aren’t damned to the Land of the Forgotten or saved and ready to go to the Land of the True. Sure, the Absolute sees the future and does write our stories, but it’s our choices that write our stories and they can either be romances or tragedies depending on if we decide to be true to the character that the Absolute has written us as.”

“Yes, yes. It’s kind of what I meant. Sorry.”

“That’s fine. I’m sorry for going off there for a bit.”

“No, no, no! It’s actually what I want.”

“Then could I tell you more about how I view a story should go both fictional and nonfiction? I’m just going to be spitting ideas.”

“Go right ahead.”

Dirk is leaning forward and seems hungry in a way to write more notes and eager to hear what I have to say.

“I prefer my stories shorter. That’s not to say that I’d prefer my life to be shorter or filled mostly with life defining events. I just like my stories with less fluff and events and lore that don’t really matter to the greater story. To be honest, it’s in those uneventful moments in life that matter most. Our daily routine is what prepares us to make the bigger choices and what defines us. I both want to make those bigger choices to change my life and the lives of everyone for the better and fear the day they come because I may make a mistake and ruin what could’ve been.”

“I see. I too fear the mistakes of the present ruining the future just like how a bad plot point in a story could ruin it in its entirety.”

“But really I shouldn’t worry about the mistakes of the past and challenges of the future. It’s what the clowns that inspired me to use my ability to the fullest said emphasized.”

“Oh, yes. I’ve been to that circus and read a lot about its two leading clowns. Isn’t one of them an ex-tyrant that is serving his penance by evangelizing the places the Church isn’t controlling through his singing?”

“I’m glad to see that you’ve taken interest in it. I have to go back there one day and thank them for everything they’ve done for me and watch their spectacular shows. I’m not sure he’s serving his penance to the kingdom that he wronged anymore. As far as I know, they kept an eye on him for a while to make sure that his change of heart was sincere until letting him go and allowing him to serve his purpose.”

“That’s interesting. To let a person go so easily after he’d done so much evil.”

“Well, he is doing the Absolute’s will, which serves the kingdoms he wronged and Church very well.”

“That’s true.”

“Anyways, the next thing I wanted to talk about that is kind of a continuation of my previous one and that is the themes of life. What I mean is that every story has something to say as does every life lived. I prefer that every interesting story has an equally interesting setting such as the world we live in, a more futuristic one, something nightmarish, or even more fantastical.”

“I struggle to think of a setting more fantastical than this.”

“But I’ve read great stories that are like yours. Your future stories make my imagination go wild with what can be possible in the future.”

“You flatter me too much. They’re obvious assumptions about what could happen in the near future, but I guess you have a point. Futuristic stories are hardly different than fantasy ones. The only thing that usually separates them is the time period.”

“You’re right. Back on topic. Think about the stories that have inspired you and taught you something about life whether they’d be fiction or nonfiction. Even a story with nothing but action tells you something. Such stories about slaying dragons tell you that dragons and evil should be slain, stories of redemption tell you that no person is unable to change for the better, and stories of freedom tell us that tyranny should be fought against.”

“That makes sense to me as to why certain characters in my short stories have inspired people even though some of the main characters are one note.”

“Right. But also think about the stories that have inspired others but not you.”

“I know where you’re going with this. It’s one of my fears as a writer. I want everyone who reads my stories to enjoy them, but I’m blinding myself when I think that everyone will.”

“Correct. What I’m recommending to you is that you make sure your fiction is at least interesting to read because they are reading fiction after all and not a lecture. The lesson of it all may silently resonate with their hearts and be picked up by those looking for it.”

“Thank you for telling me that. It’s reassuring to know that there are those that will take away what I’m trying to say within my stories. Is there anything else?”

“Um, what about the value of stories about the enemy within?”

“Do you mean how we can be our greatest enemies or those we think that our allies are our worst enemies? I’ve got that down.”

“Okay, what about sympathetic villains or villains that are completely evil?”

“Got that down too. I wrote about it in my recent books.”

“Oh, that’s right. Ummm. Like I said, I’m spitting out ideas.”

“Come on. I’m sure there’s more you want to talk about.”

“Unfortunately, none of it is coming to my mind.”

“Okay, fine. I’m satisfied with what I got.”

“Want me to crack open the wine now?”

“Are you even old enough to drink?”

“I think so. Why?”

“You don’t look it.”

“Well, if I wasn’t, the teachers wouldn’t have given me this bottle as a reward for my work and high marks.”

“Alright. Crack it open then.”

For the next hour, Dirk and I drink and talk more about ourselves and even a few things that I forgot to mention such as that most memorable stories are those of redemption, romance, and fighting against some injustice, which speaks to our inner desire for these things. It was a deep subject to talk about or at least I think it was. After a couple of drinks, I begin to feel woozy and sure enough, when I look in the mirror, I see the words red and lightheaded on my face. Maybe I am too young to be drinking so much. Dirk gets me water to drink and the servants in the school to get us our lunch now so that I have something to relieve the effects of the alcohol. These things do help clear up my head, but in the end, I end up falling asleep not long after Dirk leaves.

Later, I hear that Dirk said he found my insight invaluable and that he’ll use what he’s learned for his future books. His reception to our meeting also gives our school praise and me another bottle of wine that I’ll be more careful in drinking next time. I can’t wait to read the next book he’s going to write and what positive effects it’ll have on its readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment