Sunday, February 13, 2022

Sanctification Through Fire: Chapter 2 – Crowning with Flames

Chapter 2 – Crowning with Flames

While following Umbriel’s trail, Oriana comes across a homestead that’s being attacked by the charred. She goes on the attack without saying anything defeats all four rather quickly much to her own surprise.

“It’s a soldier from the Church!” a young boy says.

“Thanks be to God, our prayers are answered!” his grandmother says.

Oriana is welcomed into the house for dinner and she accepts it. As she does, the flames on her dim a bit. Various kinds of food are on the table along with pitchers of homemade tea and water from the well outside. The family’s dog walks around the table looking for the opportune time to take a fallen piece of food or to take one from one of the younger members of the family who typically give it to him despite his parent’s wishes. Instead of eating, Oriana looks around the table instead of eating and thinks to herself what she should be doing next.

The young mother in the family notices this and asks, “What’s wrong? Why aren’t you eating?”

“It’s nothing,” Oriana says.

“As a mother, I can tell when a child is telling me a half-truth. Now, what’s wrong? Does it have to do with your flames? I noticed that you aren’t shining as brightly as before.”

“That’s probably because I’m not chasing after someone like I was ordered to.”

“Who is this person?”

“Someone I used to be close to. He’s jaded by the pain and sin in the world and lets it dominate him rather than fight against it.”

“Did you try to change him before he ran away?”

“Yes, I tried my best but I’m not the best choice to change him even though I was chosen because I know him.”

“Why aren’t you the best choice? If you were chosen, you must be the best choice?”

“It’s because I’m not the best at anything. I have no awards to my name, I’m the least cared for in my family, and…I’m sorry for bringing my problems to you. I’ll take my leave. Thank you for your hospitality.”

Oriana walks out of the homestead but is chased by the mother and her family who follows behind her.

“Hold on! You’re causing us no trouble. Tell me more. I want to help,” the mother says.

“Tch. What is there to say? I’m not royalty. I’m from a family of simple people, and yet, I’m not given any attention because I don’t own a bakery like my older brother or teach at a school like my oldest sister. I’m not a penitent priest like my youngest brother nor was I a star student like my sister. I’m no one, the dullest flame in my family and my hometown. My parents only put me in the Church’s army since that’s where nobodies like me go when we can’t find where God wants us to be, and even so, I don’t belong here. I don’t even fight that well. There should be someone else in my place both as a soldier and as a daughter.”

“Don’t think about yourself. I’m sure God has a reason for making you the way you are.”

“Is that so? I’ve been asking why for ages and haven’t gotten an answer yet.”

“Maybe this is the answer. Maybe you’re here to be your lover’s saving angel.”

“He’s not-”

“You said you were close to him, didn’t you?”

“Were close.”

“Whatever the case is. Show him how much you care for him and he’ll change his mind.”

“I don’t care about him anymore. He’s completely lost as far as I’m concerned.”

“Do you really believe that or is that just something that you want to believe?” Oriana finds it hard to respond to the mother’s question. “We all deserve a second chance and sometimes, it’s hard to deal with the people we love. I know it’s hard to deal with myself when I mess up. I’ve been lost before, but it’s thanks to those that I love that I’m able to find myself again. Go after him and bring him back home to God.”

“I don’t even know where to find him and what to say.”

“This may sound cheesy but follow your heart. You two are brought together by God so your connection will bring you together.”

“Thank you, ma’am.”

“You’re welcome, now, go out there and save your man’s soul, and if you ever want anything to eat or a friend to talk to, you can come back any time.”

With a renewed sense of purpose and a brighter flame burning on her, Oriana heads out and does as the mother says. Soon after, she finds Umbriel resting against a tree and talking to himself about his next move and cursing God for this situation.

When he sees her, he draws his sickle then says, “Here to finish me off? I can tell since you’re burning brighter than usual.”

“I’m here to save you or at least try,” Oriana says.

“Save me? I’d rather not be saved because God offers no salvation, only pain. Look at yourself. Look all around us. The world burns and you burn, but nature doesn’t burn like we do. Some don’t even burn at all. The vegetation grows just fine and the wildlife is unaffected by the flames all around us. It seems evident to me that God cares more about these sinless things than us that He supposedly cares more for.”

“He does care for you. I care for you.”

“Hahaha! I’m not sure what’s funnier, but they are both untrue. God doesn’t care about nobodies like me or you. It’s why we’re in this situation. We’re less than nothing in His indifferent eyes.”

“There’s nothing I can think to say to convince you otherwise. Instead, I’ll convince you through action. Lord God, I embrace the cross you have given me and accept the pain to do penance for his sins as well.”

As soon as Oriana prays this, her body is completely consumed by fire. Her appearance is more angelic even though her pain is great to the point of bringing her to her knees. She holds back her screams of anguish and instead embraces her tears.

“Look at what God has granted you! He gives you nothing but pain and misery!” Umbriel says.

Standing up, Oriana counters by saying, “I have asked for this pain and embrace it for your sake. I don’t care how I feel. I only wish to save your soul and if that means suffering for you, then so be it.”

“How bold of you to say that, but how long will you endure? Your tears make it evident that you won’t last long.”

“I’m not crying because I’m in pain. I’m crying for you because I want you to come back to me. I don’t…I don’t want to see you lost anymore, so please. Come back.”

Taken aback by this, Umbriel doesn’t know how to respond as Oriana holds out her arms towards him. In Oriana’s fire form, he can see the face of mercy and love and feel God’s presence reach out to him.

“Do you think I’ll repent of my actions that I don’t need to repent of? I will not!” Umbriel’s response weighs down Oriana and intensifies her flames until she falls to her knees again. Seeing this awakens the guilt within Umbriel till he can no longer take it. “Okay, fine! I’ll take my guilt to reveal her of the pain due to me!”

Still, Oriana’s pain increases since Umbriel’s penance is not oriented in the right direction. Her tears increase though she is able to stand now.

“You’re…almost there,” Oriana says.

Umbriel swallows his pride then says, “Okay…okay. I accept my penance not only to relieve her of the cross she bears for me but also because…because I am sorry for my sins.”

He then holds Oriana’s hands before being set on fire with grace. This fiery form reminds Oriana of the man she fell in love with and in this form, Umbriel’s eyes are open along with his heart.

“Welcome back. I’ve missed you,” Oriana says.

“I’ve missed you too. I’m sorry I lost myself. I was just so…so jaded with how things are that…I don’t even know how to explain it,” Umbriel admits.

“It’s okay. I understand.”

Oriana kisses Umbriel and the two hold each other before heading back to Oriana’s squad who meets them halfway. Back in town, the group is given the same payment and thanks for a job well done before being given time to rest. Meanwhile, Umbriel confesses his sins to the bishop who commands all the squads in the diocese.

“For your penance, you are to rejoin your squad alongside Oriana. That will be all,” the bishop says.

“What? You aren’t going to put me in jail, have me do community service or some similar task?” Umbriel asks.

“Boy, don’t you see that the world is ending? Soon, even the souls burning in Purgatory will have their sentence ended despite the severity of their sins. Now is the time of repentance and bringing in those who are still lost. Time is running short, but we still have time, so get out and bring those lost souls home.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“And, Umbriel,” the bishop says before hugging the young man and holding back his tears, “It’s good to have you back. I almost thought you were lost for good. When you said those words full of pain and hatred as you left, I begged God to help you carry your pain. I hope you know that I never meant to put the others above you because everyone I teach and meet is equally treasured by me in their own way.”

“Thank you. I know that now,” Umbriel says as he tries not to cry as well with his old teacher.

After this, Umbriel and Oriana head out to help save more souls. These two who are seemingly just two no-name foot soldiers, but also treasured souls of God whose souls are alight with love for Him, each other, and the others they will save.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment