Sunday, August 9, 2020

Beauty in Justice: Chapter 3 – Unlikely Romance

Chapter 3 – Unlikely Romance

While flying to the prison, Jane pesters Mors with questions about the man who she is meant to be with.

“Is he handsome?”

“Yes.”

“Is he caring?”

“Yes.”

“Can he sing like me?”

“Yes.”

“Are you just saying yes to everything I ask?”

“Yes, I have been answering yes, but I’m not saying yes for the sake of answering your questions. You shouldn’t be worried about who you’re meeting since you know God puts the right people together.”

“I’ve been wondering. Are you an angel, an insect, or a mix of both?”

“You can say both. It is not a question I have an answer for. What matters to me is my purpose rather than the specifics of my existence.”

“Is that why you didn’t mind me referring to you as my imaginary friend for so many years?”

“Yes. I taught you what you were supposed to know about good and evil while being content with the possibility that you didn’t believe in my existence.”

“Thank you for that. I’m sorry I didn’t recognize the obvious.”

“It’s okay. It was worth it watching you be happy and have fun while learning.”

Jane smiles and hugs Mors. He leans up his head to touch hers as a way of returning his affection. They then arrive at the prison where Jane’s husband to be is and land nearby to get a good view of the place. It is a heavily fortified castle with multiple layers and a tower that appears to reach to the sky like the Tower of Babel. An army of officers guard the outside of the prison with multiple archers on every layer that light fire posts as the sun begins to set.

“My husband is in there?!”

“The sinful always wrongly imprison the innocent. He’s been in there for too long, and yet, he’s been steadfast in keeping his soul pure.”

“He does sound like a strong and good man. How are we going to get to him?”

“Even though I can break through the walls while being unaffected by arrows, you aren’t as invincible. We are going to have to call a friend to help us.”

The ground beneath them shakes until it breaks to reveal the face of a spider. Jane and the spider look at each other with curiosity until the spider breaks out of the ground and closely examines Jane. She falls off of Mors in a panic and tries to calm herself.

“You weren’t as afraid of me when we first met,” Mors points out.

“I’m not used to seeing huge spiders up close like this.”

“Don’t be afraid of him. He’s just curious.”

The spider looks into Jane’s eyes until he closes them and touches her head with his. Feeling his affection, Jane slowly pets the spider until she feels comfortable with it. Because Jane returns his affection, the spider rubs his face against hers and makes purring noises.

“Haha, it’s kind of like a cat. So, it’s going to get us into the prison?”

“Yes. He will dig underneath the prison and get you to your husband to be. Meanwhile, I will stay outside and be ready to bring both of you out of the area. I will confront the enemy if you are discovered. We are trying to keep this as quiet as possible because there are pure souls among the guards.”

“Got it. Well, let’s go Mr. Spider.”

The spider nods as Jane gets on his back.

“Mr. Spider? Is that the nickname you’re giving him?”

“It’s not that creative, but it’s cute. Don’t you think so?”

“He’s your spider so I can’t complain.”

Mr. Spider wraps Jane in a protective layer of silk when she settles herself on his back. This silk protects her as they go into the ground and dig their way to the lowest level of the prison. In the basement of the prison, they find a section of dead prisoners who appear to have been put here to starve to death as a form of punishment.

Jane is horrified by this and tries to ignore it, so it doesn’t get to her. The sound of approaching footsteps makes Mr. Spider jump to the roof. Officers come to investigate the hole they left only to be wrapped up in spider silk.

The two then continue along the wall and carve their way through the prison’s walls to avoid officers and the attention of the prisoners. Since the sun is setting and the prisoners are heading back to their cells with the guards going to their homes within the prison, there’s more darkness to hide in and fewer people to avoid. Along the way, they come across two guards beating and mocking a prisoner as he crawls to his cell. Jane’s anger builds, but she holds back.

The higher they go, the more animalistic the criminals seem with the top layers holding people with satanic markings on their bodies. Mixed in with these people are normal looking people who silently pray to God.

“They really mixed up the wrong kind of people together.”

They eventually reach the top where most of the cells are small cramped rooms with a small window in them. Mr. Spider brings Jane to the cell at the end of a long hallway and silently opens the door for her, unwraps the silk from her, then points inside of the dark cell.

“My husband to be is in this cell?”

Mr. Spider nods and keeps pointing.

“Who’s there?” a man’s voice asks from the darkness.

“Um. My name is Jane. I was sent to rescue you.”

“Ah, yes! The woman I was promised to marry. I’m unbelievably thankful for you coming here to get me. I’m sorry that you had to meet your prince this way and in this condition.”

Jane struggles to see the man in the dark even as the setting sun slowly illuminates him. From what she can see, he has bandages on his head, eyes, and body with his blonde hair being the only attractive thing about his appearance. His cell has marks on the walls as if he were trying to break them down with his fists and legs.

“Don’t worry about it. What’s your name?”

“Jareth.”

“...”

“Is something the matter?”

“N-nothing. It’s just that I can barely see you.”

“I’d step out of the cell, but I’m chained to the wall. You don’t happen to have the key to them or a way to break them, do you?”

“Mr. Spider, break his chains.”

“Mr. Spider? That’s an odd name for a friend.” As Mr. Spider enters the room and breaks the chains, Jareth can sense the spider. “Oh, so he is a spider. That’s interesting. God works in mysterious ways, doesn’t He?”

“Yes, He does. Can you step out into the light?”

“You’re going to have to lead me to it. My eyesight isn’t particularly good to put it lightly.”

Jane reaches into the darkness and brings the man outside into the torchlight outside of his cell to fully see who he is. Her vision wasn’t playing tricks on her when she saw that he was mostly bandaged with bandages also on his feet in addition to the other areas already seen.

“What happened to you?”

“My family did this to me when I was little. They carved satanic symbols into my body, eyes, hands, feet, and tongue so demons could completely use me to kill a family. It was a horrifying experience as I had no control over my actions, words, and thoughts. Fortunately, I was stopped before I could kill everyone. I wonder how the last surviving girl is doing. I hope she doesn’t hate me.”

Jane’s face splits open to reveal her hornet face as she screeches in shock and attacks the wall next to Jareth with her claws. She barely misses him as her claws make deep marks on the stone wall.

“It is you!”

“What? Who is me? Are you…are you her?”

“Yes! How could God bring us together?”

“Maybe it’s why we were driven apart at such a young age. Surely, us being reunited is a good sign that I’m still worth being by your side.”

“I guess, but…”

A group of night guards arrives at the cellblock since they heard the noise of the door being opened. Mr. Spider is ready to fight, but Jareth steps forward ahead of him.

“Stand aside, Mr. Spider. I can handle this.”

Jareth faces the guards and manages to fight them without being hit. He flows through their attacks like an agile ninja and knocks them out with several hits to their head.

“Woah! How can you fight with those bandages over your eyes?”

“God gave me an increased sense of awareness and sent me an angel to train me to fight. We better leave fast because the rest of the prison will be on alert.”

“Can you get us out of here, Mr. Spider?”

Mr. Spider nods his head and breaks down the wall in Jareth’s cell.

“That is one strong spider.”

“You better hold onto him.”

Jane helps Jareth onto Mr. Spider. She expects them to crawl down the wall, so she holds on tightly only to be taken by complete surprise when Mr. Spider leaps out of the hole. They plummet to the ground until Mors catches them in the air.

“First a giant spider and now a giant wasp?”

“I am more than a giant wasp,” Mors points out.

“And he talks too. God is truly great in creating extraordinary creatures.”

Mors lands far away from the prison as Jane and Jareth catch their breath.

Not long after they land, Jane asks Mors, “Why didn’t you tell me that Jareth was my husband to be?”

“Because I knew you wouldn’t want to rescue him if I did.”

“Why? It’s not like I hate him or anything.”

“But you also haven’t completely forgiven him. You’ve just put the issue to the side for your entire life.”

“Jane, I-”

“It’s fine. My problem isn’t with you.”

“Jane, let him talk.”

“Okay…”

“Jane…

 

The past is dead and gone

My sins forgive, penance done

A new life, a new dawn

I'm no longer the devil's pawn

 

I'm not who you think

Because I'm

 

Your Prince, Your Chosen One

Your devoted love until death

I will stay with you through it all

I will suffer for you and never withdraw

 

I may not be who you expected

But I will be the one you deserve

I promise that I've changed

Your needs I will serve

 

I'm not who you think

Because I'm

 

Your Prince, Your Chosen One

Your devoted love until death

I will stay with you through it all

I will suffer for you and never withdraw

 

Let me prove myself to you

My love for you is true

Let me prove myself to you

My love for you is true

 

Because I'm

 

Your Prince, Your Chosen One

Your devoted love until death

I will stay with you through it all

I will suffer for you and never withdraw”

 

“I get it. Okay, I’ll give you a chance.”

“Thank you, so much, Jane. I’ll do everything I can to be faithful to God and you. You’ll know if I do something wrong if I bleed.”

“You bleed if you sin?”

“Yes. It’s one of the holdovers from my parents’ curse on me. That’s why I have to keep these bandages on. Plus, I heard my scars, especially the cuts on my eyes are shocking to look at.”

“Can I see?”

“Okay.”

Jane moves closer to Jareth and touches his face then slowly moves her hand down his chest. She stops and her face turns red for a second.

“I-I’m sorry.”

“What are you embarrassed about? You aren’t touching me for lewd reasons, are you?”

“N-no. The thought just popped up in my head.”

“You shouldn’t let temptations get to you.”

“Jane. Jareth. It’s been a big day. You should get some rest.”

“Where are we going to rest at? Back at the orphanage?” Jane asks.

“No. You need to rest while I fly you back to the cities. By the time we get there, the cities will receive its last judgment. The ones who managed to repent are out of the area while the others who didn’t are still clinging to the rubble of their worldly possessions.”

Jane and Jareth lay down on Mr. Spider while being wrapped in his silk so that they don’t fall off him. Mors then takes Mr. Spider and flies off to the cities. While laying down together, Jane looks at Jareth who is trying to sleep.

“What’s the matter, Jane?”

“Oh, it’s uh. Nothing really.”

“I did tell you God gave me an increased sense of awareness. Something is wrong.”

“It’s just that this whole day has been so much. I’m a princess of justice who has an army of insects at my disposal that I’m supposed to use to punish a countless number of sinners and now, I have my husband to be with me.”

“It’s a lot I know. After recovering from my injuries and exorcisms, I thought about taking my life, but then an angel came to me and gave me a reason to live. God had let me be possessed, almost wipe out a family, and then came to me and asked me to do something for Him in prison. I spent days in my cell thinking it over and over until I realize that I should do what He asked. If God sends you many responsibilities, it means that He thinks a lot about you and that you can handle it. It’s we who doubt the abilities and potential that He’s given us. God and the angel taught me this.”

“I see. Thanks for the reminder.”

“So, does this mean you trust me, and the past is long gone?”

“There’s no reason to hold onto it, so yes. It does.”

“I’m glad to hear it. I was getting worried that you’d never accept me. We should get some sleep now for the big day tomorrow.”

As Jane and Jareth begin to fall asleep, Jane moves closer to Jareth and cuddles up to him as much as the silk allows as he does the same in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment