Thursday, January 9, 2020

A Duo Dealt Death's Hand: Chapter 4 – Separation and Survival

Chapter 4 – Separation and Survival
“You’re going to be mine, Darrell!” Penelope says as she tries to restrain him with the vines from the trees.
Darrell runs away from Penelope as Bree struggles to walk with fire in her eyes and hands. He uses his thorny vine arm to cut throw whatever Penelope throws at him and dodges through the forest until she loses sight of him.
“Come on out, Darrell, my love. There’s nowhere you could possibly go to escape from my love of you! Do you really think that Bree will make it here? She literally feels like she’s burning alive.”
Darrell considers his possible actions and keeps himself as hidden as possible, however, it really seems like he can’t escape her no matter how far away he gets. It’s like an unknown force in the fog keeps teleporting him near her.
“I’ve been waiting for this moment for years. The moment when I could finally have you all to myself. I had to wait until you were married so I could take Bree’s place, but it will be worth it. Don’t you see how much I love you? I did all of this for you so we could be together for the rest of our lives. You think you can escape me, but I know exactly where you are.”
Nothing happens for a few seconds, so Darrell thinks this is a bluff until the ground starts to shake and the roots restrain him until he can no longer move. Penelope moves the large trees out of the way as she walks towards him. Darrell tries to use his thorny arm to cut through the roots, but it’ll take some time before he can break them.
“Struggle all you want. You’re in my hands now.”
Penelope grasps Darrell’s face then puts her head on his as she intensely stares into his eyes with one of the widest smiles he’s seen on her face.
“I’m not exactly allowed to kiss you right now until our marriage is confirmed, but if I started to kiss you, I’m not sure if I’d ever stop…actually, one kiss wouldn’t hurt.”
Penelope leans in for a kiss only for Darrell to push her away as his thorny arm finally breaks through the roots.
“You won’t be denying me for long, Darrell. I will have my first kiss.”
Darrell makes hand gestures to try to talk about the thing that he saw Penelope talking to and that she should break away from its control. He also adds a motion asking if she can understand him by tapping his head.
“I know what you’re saying, Darrell. We’ve played charades for years with you, and no, I’m not crazy or under the control of that thing. I want this to happen. I reached out to it, it told me what to do, and it’s given me a way to get you. It’s sweet of you to be concerned about me unlike Bree, but I’m doing just fine.”
Darrell tries to communicate to Penelope that Bree still cares for her.
“I don’t think so. You saw the way she punched me in the face. She’s getting what she deserves. You chose the wrong girl to be with, Darrell. You’re blessed that I’m correcting your mistake. Now, where’s my thank you kiss?”
Both Darrell and Bree are at their wit's end. They know that singing together will help, but they don’t know if the other is thinking the same. It is then they realize they never really considered that until now and only sung when they felt their hearts connect like they’re doing right now. They trust this feeling and sing together across a long distance.

Am I the right person to be with you?
My hands struggle to hold onto you
I fear each mistake I make might drive you away from me
Is there any way I can be perfect for you?

Even with my imperfections,
I can't give up
As my heart calls out to you

I rise from my sorrows
No matter how many times I fall
I will come back stronger
My love for you keeps me going
With you in my heart and me in yours, we're unstoppable

I will forever thank you with my life
I will give you everything I am

I could never make it on my own
My weaknesses hold me down
It would be easy to give up in this dark world
And sometimes I still fall

But with your touch,
I am reminded of everything I fight for
It can be tempting to be dead inside
And give up on everything that I believe in

But it's empty and hollow
Like a comforting lie
With each new day,

I come awake, I come alive
I'm no longer afraid, I'm no longer weak
I fearlessly stand by your side with your hand in mine
Forever will I put my faith in you

I rise from my sorrow
No matter how many times I fall
I will come back stronger
My love for you keeps me going
With you in my heart and me in yours, we're unstoppable

I will forever thank you with my life
I will give you everything I am

I only need you with me
Even when you fall,
I'll pick you up
And be your strength as you are mine

I rise from my sorrows
No matter how many times I fall
I will come back stronger
My love for you keeps me going
With you in my heart and me in yours, we're unstoppable

I will forever thank you with my life
I will give you everything I am

I'll always stand with you
I'll always hold you in my heart
I'll Always Give You Everything I Am

Their singing empowers Bree to bear the burning of the fire and move faster while Darrell is able to break free from the roots. Penelope is surprised that the two were able to sing despite not being near one another.
“That’s impressive, but it doesn’t change anything. Come to me, Darrell.”
Darrell breaks the rest of the roots then raises his fists and stands ready to fight.
“Are you really going to fight me when I have so much power that can restrain you?”
Darrell nods his head.
“If you say so, but there’s no point. We still have to wait for Bree to get here and I don’t think a little boost in strength will help her get here.”
As Penelope was talking, Bree walks in. She is almost speechless and can even be considered too aggravated to be angry anymore. The flames on Bree’s eyes and hands disappear and the fog around them clears up. Bree and Darrell embrace then look at Penelope ready for whatever she may throw at the next.
“What am I going to have to do to make you give up? I’m trying to make this as easy as possible for you too and you just keep pushing me to make it more difficult!”
Whispering comes from deep inside the dark fog.
“I know there’s one last plan, but I don’t like it.”
Bree holds out her hand as if to ask for the challenge.
“You’re not going to like it. The last plan was to use the threat of starving to death or dying of thirst to make you give Darrell to me, but that’s too much. It’s too painful for both of you and I don’t want to watch you suffer that much, as surprising as it may sound to you.”
More whispering comes from the dark fog. They sound more aggressive than before.
“What? Those lost souls were really the other people you gave your power to who failed you? No. I’m not going to let them go through with this even if I end up turning into a lost soul. Fine. We’ll find our own way out. I know for a fact that you can’t keep us here forever.”
Penelope walks away from Darrell and Bree then looks back when she notices that they aren’t following her.
“What? Do you think I was just talking to myself? That this is some kind of trap? I’m being serious.”
Bree looks at Darrell who shrugs his shoulders and starts walking. With no other option, Bree follows him and the three of them start searching for a way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment