Tuesday, January 7, 2020

A Duo Dealt Death's Hand: Chapter 3 – Misdirection

Chapter 3 – Misdirection
“This trick should break them apart in more than one way,” Penelope says.
The dark fog thickens in the forest until Darrell and Bree can’t see in front of them. Something large runs in between them and separates them. They reach out for one another until they think they grab each other’s hand when they’ve really grabbed the hand of an imposter.
The fake Darrell rips off the thorny choker around his neck then says, “I can finally talk!”
Bree tries to do the same and can’t manage.
“Let me try taking it off you.”
The fake Darrell tries to take off the theory choker while choking her. Bree hits Darrell to get him to stop and keeps hitting him until she pushes him away.
“What’s wrong? I was about to get it off.”
Bree tries to make it clear that she can’t get it off and that he was hurting her with gestures with her hands, but the fake Darrell won’t stop reaching for the choker.
“Come on. Don’t you trust me? Let me try again.”
Bree lets him try again only to be even more violently choked with the thorns of the choker cutting deeper into her neck. Because of the pain, she hits and pushes the fake Darrell away then makes gestures to ask what’s wrong with him.
“I don’t know what’s wrong with you, but you need to trust me. I was about to get it off.”
Unsure if Darrell is himself or even the real Darrell because of her recent experience with past versions, she makes a bunch of animals with her hands. These things are some of the things that they used to do as kids and still sometimes do if they’re feeling silly or to cheer each other up.
Confused by it, the fake Darrell says, “What are you doing those stupid things for? We need to focus on getting that choker off you.”
His reaction is proof to Bree that this is a fake Darrell. She runs into the dark fog while darting through the trees to try to lose him.
“Bree! Wait!”
Bree keeps running until she comes across a lost soul wandering around. She slows her pace then hides while looking out for the fake Darrell. Now that the fog has cleared up a bit, she can see a little more clearly. Once she catches sight of him, she makes a series of noises that attract both the fake Darrell and lost soul until they cross paths. The lost soul starts slashing at the fake Darrell until it gets him on the ground with one of its blades to his neck. Bree runs away and tries not to look back.
“Don’t leave me here to die, Bree!”
Bree keeps running while trying to keep the thought of the fake Darrell out of her head. She runs and runs until she comes across Penelope.
“You really left Darrell behind. What kind of wife leaves her husband to die?”
Bree shakes her head and gestures to indicate that it wasn’t Darrell then points at Penelope in an accusatory way.
“What? Do you don’t think that was the right Darrell and that I had something to do with it?”
Bree shakes her head to confirm.
“How do you know for sure?”
Bree then starts to make hand animals.
“Oh, I remember these.”
Penelope almost instinctively follows since she made these along with Bree and Darrell. The two make different hand animals together as if nothing extraordinary was happening before Penelope snaps back to her goal.
“Ah, stop distracting me! You can’t put things back to the way they were before! I died the moment you took Darrell away from me! He was taken away by a fake version of you that was made to make him hate you by showing him the worst parts of you. It won’t be too long before we see if he decides to accept my offer.”
Before they know it, they see Darrell throwing back the fake Bree. He plucks out the flower from the fake Bree’s eye, which makes her collapse into a mess of vines and dirt. Darrell turns his head to see Bree and Penelope.
“What do you say now, Darrell? You’ve seen the worst of your ‘wife’. Will you be with me in marriage?”
To make sure this is the real Darrell, Bree makes hand animals to which he does the same. She hugs him and he hugs her back.
Darrell then acts embarrassed because of what Bree saw him do to the fake Bree.
With an understanding look, Bree smiles and nods to show that she understands. Already understanding his answer, Penelope gets frustrated.
“Why you-”
Darrell and Bree begin to sing before Penelope can act since they know it’s how the power of their love can push her back.
Once the dust settles
After we hurt everyone we cared about
I see what I did wrong
I shouldn't have given into you

I was a slave to your command
A fool living in ignorance
But now I'm free

Free from your degradation
Free from your captivation
Free from your suffocation
Once you're gone I'll be
Free From Your Temptation

You are a thorn in my side
You offered a false freedom
A fabrication
Following you will only lead to my damnation

I was a slave to my weakness
A fool thinking himself wise
But now I'm free

Free from your degradation
Free from your captivation
Free from your suffocation
Once you're gone I'll be
Free From Your Temptation

Reprobation
Desecration
Malformation
We all the things I were with you
But now I'll be

Free from your degradation
Free from your captivation
Free from your suffocation
Once you're gone I'll be
Free From Your Temptation
Without you I'll be
Once you're gone I'll be
Free! (Free!)
Free! (Free!)
Free! (Free!)
Free from Your Temptation

Penelope is even more frustrated now than ever before. Her pupils in her eyes keep expanding and shrinking with one just expanding until her eye is black. She is shaking and squeezes her hand to control her hand but is breaking it and makes it bleed in the process.  She grinds her teeth until her gums start to bleed.
“You…you, you, you, you, you! That was our song…our song! You’ve been singing songs that you two usually sing together, but that song was from when Darrell and I went to a rock concert while you were sick at home. I’m done playing fair with you too.”
Penelope uses her abilities to make the tree branches above them and the vines below them to smack around Darrell and Bree.
“I’ll make you love me one way or another Darrell. I don’t care what it takes!”
She keeps smacking them around the forest with them being unable to defend themselves until she uses the vines to tie them to the trees.
“Accept my offer or I will crush both of you!”
Darrell and Bree resiliently bear the pain while not giving into Penelope’s demands. Multiple hands come out of the darkness of the forest to stop Penelope. Darrell and Bree see various glowing eyes peering from the darkness and are unsure what they’re looking at. Whatever it is. They can hear it whispering.
“Okay. Yeah. I remember we still have two more plans. This next one should be impossible to win. Yes. I’m sorry I forgot.”
The being then retreats into the dark as Penelope lets go of the two.
“Since you seem to be faithful to one another even with distance, it doesn’t matter if I make that distance longer does it? Oh, and I’m going to add another couple of things to make it worse for you if you don’t mind.”
Bree’s eyes and hands start to feel like they’re on fire. It even appears to be that way with what looks to be fire on the affected areas.
“Because you hit me, I’ll make that anger of yours feel like its burning you alive. Meanwhile, I’ll be keeping Darrell company.”
Penelope uses the mist to take away Darrell while Bree fights the pain of the fire to chase after them only to find that they’ve disappeared. With Darrell in her possession, Penelope starts to laugh.
“Haha, there’s no way Bree can make it to us. Now, I can finally work my magic on my love.”

No comments:

Post a Comment