Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Bright Moon, Burning Sun: Chapter 2 – Constant Struggle

Chapter 2 – Constant Struggle
Solare and Luna make their way to the group of people Solare knows of while walking through the connected series of buildings. Whenever the rain pours down on them, the heat surrounding Solare evaporates the rain around them as it keeps them dry.
“Woah. I’ve never seen anyone with your ability. How did you get it?”
“It’s more of a curse than a blessing, in my opinion. I have no idea how I got it. I just woke up one day with it, so I don’t have a clue as to how I got it.”
“How is it a curse?”
“I’m always feeling hot and everything with the exception of your hand burns when I touch it. I can’t even eat properly. Speaking of which, I’m starving.”
“We should stop for a second then so you can eat. I’ll feed you if you-”
“No, you don’t need to. I can do it myself.”
“Okay. Let’s find a place to hide first.”
“Good idea.”
The two follow a little nook in a building to eat in. It’s a caved-in room with two entrances that’s just big enough to crotch into.
“What do you want?” Luna says while showing Solare what she has.
“Uhh. This.”
Solare quickly puts the food in his mouth and chews it before it completely burns. He coughs at the taste of the food and how fast he’s eating. While he coughs, Luna manages to get a look at Solare’s face that he’s been trying to hide. She finds that his face is completely black, and his eyes are so black that they might as well be hollow. Solare is surprised that his face didn’t scare her. Even Luna is surprised at her own reaction.
“What?” Luna says with a smile, “Here, I’ll feed you.”
“No, I-hey!”
Luna tries to put food in Solare’s mouth.
“Say ahhh.”
Solare grudgingly opens his mouth and eats the food Luna gives him for a little while.
“Okay, that’s enough. Thank you.”
“You’re welcome.”
Not wanting to show his embarrassed face to Luna’s smile, Solare quickly hides his face again.
“Alright, let’s keep going.”
Along the way to their destination, Luna asks Solare, “How did you make those arrows from before?”
“With whatever wood I could break apart from the buildings then lit them on fire with my cloak. I don’t have many left so we have to avoid as much trouble as we can.”
“Are the people we’re going to meet friendly?”
“Hardly. They’ll be friendly only if you can help them.”
“I’m sure we can do that.”
“Even so, I doubt anyone can help us find the answer to our dreams.”
“You have to hope at least a little. There’s no use in being pessimistic.”
“No, but also there’s no use in being overly hopeful.”
“Why are you always so down?”
“Do I need to spell it out for you? You can see it for yourself. We’re stuck in these tall buildings with a flood below us and the never-ending rain that is bringing that flood to us if the buildings don’t fall and bring us to it first. On top of that, there are the various kinds of birds out there hunting us. I’m certain that if you stay in one place for too long then they’ll find you.”
“That doesn’t mean that we still can’t find a way to survive.”
“I wish I had your optimism.”
Solare and Luna enter a shopping mall barricaded with metal and wooden flooring that looks shoddily made, but solid enough to pass for protection. They go up to the front gate and Solare knocks three times, which gets the gate to open.
The man behind the gate who opened it, says to Solare, “What are you back for, fire boy?”
“Just stopping by. Not much.”
“Is she your girlfriend?”
“No.”
“Mm.”
Solare walks away, but Luna walks up to the man with her bag of food and asks, “Do you want something to eat? You look hungry.”
“Oh, uh. Thank you, little missy.”
The man takes a couple pieces of food before Luna moves away.
While walking away, Solare whispers, “Why did you give him food? We’re already running dangerously low and who knows how much left is out there?”
“He looks like he needed it.”
“We could’ve needed it later.”
“Stop worrying. The place I got this from had more. So, who are we going to talk to?”
“That guy over at the bar over there. He knows the most out of everyone.”
When Solare and Luna go up to the man at the bar, he looks at them with wary eyes. The thing that catches his attention besides Luna’s eyes and skin color is her bag that still has some food in it.
“What do you want, fire boy?”
“Do you remember that weird dream I told about in passing? This girl apparently had the same dream I had, and it seems like we both have something to do with it that could possibly save us all. Her name is Luna by the way.”
“Luna and Solare, one burns like the sun and the other is pale like the moon. Yeah, that would make sense. How do you think I can help?”
“I remember you saying that a priest or someone like him could help me. Can you get us to him?”
“Whew. Getting you to him? First, that was a joke. Second, I don’t even know if he’s alive.”
“Why’s that?”
“He’s living in the sewers of the city.”
“What? Aren’t those flooded by now?”
“Not certain sections, no, but there’s only one entrance and it’s a pain to get to since certain kinds of bird scout that area.”
“Oh, well if that’s the case, then there’s no use-”
“No, we’re going to take a chance,” Luna says with confidence.
“You don’t know what you’re saying Luna. It’s already going to be a chore getting past the water and the birds. We’re not even sure if the guy we’re looking for is alive.”
“I don’t care. It’s better to try than to stay up here and waste away.”
“Hmm. I guess you’re right.”
“Wow. This is the first time I’ve seen you change your mind so fast, fire boy. Is this girl special to you or something?”
“What’s your price for getting us down to the sewers?”
“Your food and I want to hear Luna sing a song.”
“You want to hear her sing? Why?”
“She has a nice voice and this place could use some music while we eat especially since we recently lost our singer.”
“What do you say, Luna?”
“I’ll do it. I know something I could sing.”
Luna makes her way up to the stage and the people of the community gather to hear her sing.

“Raise your soul to Heaven
Cast aside your worries
Take a breath
And release your agonies

My hope withers with every passing day and renews the next
The love I hold in my heart struggles to stay alive
Will I ever find a place to rest my head?
Or even find a light in the darkness?

Maybe it's really all gone
My life will shrivel into nothing
The only purpose of living is another breath
And the love I long for doesn't exist

Raise your soul to Heaven
Cast aside your worries
Take a breath
And release your agonies
If you can't go on,
Then I will carry you till the end

My soul ignites with yours
Our two hearts become one
Your pain becomes mine
Fight by my side
Never let go of my hand
And I will never let go of yours

The world crumbles to its inevitable end
Everyone is out for themselves
Everyone has lost the will to love
Maybe it's all for nothing

But something keeps me going
Then something brings me back down
And again I come back to life
But still, I keep pressing on

Raise your soul to Heaven
Cast aside your worries
Take a breath
And release your agonies
If you can't go on,
Then I will carry you till the end

My soul ignites with yours
Our two hearts become one
Your pain becomes mine
Fight by my side
Never let go of my hand
And I will never let go of yours

This is nothing that I imagined
It's not even close to a dream
How can I hope to live with you
When you disappear with each passing moment?

Raise your soul to Heaven
Cast aside your worries
Take a breath
And release your agonies
If you can't go on,
Then I will carry you till the end

My soul ignites with yours
Our two hearts become one
Your pain becomes mine
Fight by my side
Never let go of my hand
And I will never let go of yours

I know that I'm not in control of everything
That nothing will be what I expected
And as I cry I let go of my dreams and embrace yours
Let our Two Hearts Become One
So that we can be strong enough to live, to learn, and to love”

Everyone in the community claps for Luna. Solare is impressed by Luna’s singing ability as well and moves to the stairs to compliment her but is there just in time to catch her as she trips on a step. The community is even more shocked to see that Solare’s touch doesn’t burn Luna at all. The people in the community bring Luna extra food for her performance. While they eat, Luna feeds Solare and he unconsciously accepts it without complaining and doesn’t react in any way until the community points it out.
“Hey, it’s not like I want her to feed me,” Solare says before Luna gives him another bite to eat.
“Sure you don’t,” the man from the bar says, “I’m really curious as to how she can touch you and not be burnt. Luna, can you touch my hand?”
“Why are you asking her that?”
“I just want to see something. There’s no need to be defensive.”
Luna touches the man’s hand and he feels a cold but also comforting feeling.
“Oh, wow. She’s cold despite being near you.”
“You’re cold, Luna? Do you need a jacket or something?”
“I’m fine, thank you. I don’t feel cold at all.”
“Hmm. You two are very strange. I wouldn’t doubt it if the answer to saving the world had something to do with you.”
“If you say so,” Solare says somewhat dismissively.
Banging is heard on the gates. The gatekeeper runs to answer it when it is suddenly broken through by black birds that look like vultures. The barricades covering the windows fall apart as well as more vultures break in. These vultures have multiple heads and limbs to grab people. The members of the community begin to fight back with crudely repaired guns.
“Where’s the watchman?” the man from the bar asks.
“Here. I was distracted by Luna’s singing.”
“Next time don’t let a pretty girl distract you.”
The community manages to fight back against the vultures with the help of Solare, but the birds have taken and killed five people out of eight. Knowing the relentless nature of the birds, the community begins to pack up their belongings.
“I’m sorry I caused this and that I couldn’t help,” Luna says to the man from the bar.
“Don’t worry about it. There’s nothing you could’ve done. We’re going to be moving anyway,” the man then turns to the remaining community members, “You guys go on ahead. I have a deal to pay off.”
“Are you going to take us to the sewers? Why don’t you just point us in the right direction and leave us?” Solare asks.
“I’m a man of integrity, so that means I do what I say. Besides, I’d rather do something than waste away like Luna said.”
“Okay.”
“Thank you, sir.”
The man, Solare, and Luna take whatever they can and head out to the sewers in the vague hopes of finding the answer to saving the world.

This song is the inspiration for the song/poem in this chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment