Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Child of Sin, Adopted by Grace: Chapter 3 – Pride and Self-Ascension

Chapter 3 – Pride and Self-Ascension

Me? A princess with my own kingdom and servants who will do anything that I want and I can get anything I want? What’s not to love about that?

They’ll be no more struggling against temptation. No more denying myself and constantly going to confession and doing useless penances that do nothing to take away my desire to take justice into my own hands. They have only stoked the fires for me to get what I want even more.

When I finally get what I want, I’ll finally be happy. My family will be happy and never be disappointed in me again. Zidane will learn to understand my perspective and love me even more. I’ll never be looked down on and hated for no good reason. Instead, people will have a good reason to be jealous.

Just think about it. I can come true as soon as I accept my real mom’s offer. Just think about the happiness and peace of mind I can have. Just think about how loved I will be. Just think about the riches and possessions I’ll have.

I shake off the temptations as I remember my true self, wake up in a cold sweat, and see that my snakes are dancing around my head. “Get away! Leave me alone!” I say while smacking the snakes around. Even though this causes me pain, I repeatedly hit the snakes out of hatred for them and my impatience in removing their influence from my mind.

Dad races into my room with mom behind him and he says, “Is everything okay? Why are you hurting yourself, Varena?”

“It’s nothing. Just bad dreams and temptations again.”

“Better get to confession today like you planned.”

“Okay.” As if that’s helped me at all.

“You’ll overcome your temptations one day. Trust me.”

“I know, I know, mom. Thank you.” Mom and dad each give me a hug and kiss before I leave. Along the way to church, I try not to make eye contact with people that I know are looking at me. A sense of relief comes over me as I make it to church and I finally feel like I can breathe correctly. There’s no one in line for confession, which makes things even better. Going into the confessional, I find a large man whose face I can’t see. Must be a new priest. He gestures towards the seat in front of him and I sit down and then say, “Father, forgive me for I have sinned. It’s been…a day since my last confession and these are my sins.” I then list my usual sins and unintentionally include what happened with Piaras.

Lifting his head, the priest reveals himself to be a deity. “Nothing that you have mentioned is a sin, Varena.”

“You’re a deity and that must mean you’re with Venetta, aren’t you? What are you doing here pretending to be a priest? Answer me or else I’ll have to confess beating you down to a real priest.”

“I am Fr. Niklos and I am an actual priest with the church. They’re just unaware of my allegiance with Venetta despite my appearance as a deity. Don’t you know that the church allows serpentmen who are in a deity form into the church and into the priesthood? The church is in desperate need of priests after all.”

“Keep talking. That doesn’t explain why you are here.”

“What do you need to be explained if you know that your mom sent me here? She wants you back home with her ruling the kingdom that’s rightfully yours.”

“Tell her that my answer remains the same. Her meeting me has made things worse for me in town and I only hate her more because of it.”

“I know that the people in this town that already had suspicions of you and you defending yourself against them is the reason why you are here, but what you did was just self-defense even though you did put one of them in the hospital.”

“Tch.” Part of me knows he’s telling the truth. “Whatever. I don’t have time for this, so I’ll be seeing a real priest.”

Before I can do anything, Niklos blocks the door with his large tail. “Don’t bother screaming because these walls are soundproof. It’s mostly to keep the confessions of the sinners silent and inaudible to those outside, but these walls have also heard the conspiracies of the clergy and those whom they deal with. The church will corrupt and destroy itself even without our influence.”

“The church for sinners is full of sinners? Do you want to tell me that water is wet too? Let me out of here!” I try to claw at the priest, but his giant snake arms restrain me. I then try yelling as loud as I can for help.

“Why would one of them help you if they heard you? They don’t know your true value. You risked your life to save a friend, you are patient with those who don’t deserve it, and you defend yourself and those you love with your own hands despite the possible repercussions and because it is right and just. Such actions are that of a true monarch.”

His words echo through my head as if he had spoken them inside of it. “Shut…I…”

“I am pretty great, aren’t I? I can’t deny that. Now that I think about it more, I was justified in doing some of the things I did.”

“But-but only in some of the things. Not all of it!”

“A true deity doesn’t need to justify themselves to anyone. Once you learn from the queen what that means, you’ll never have to justify yourself to anyone or any god.”

“Shut up and get out of my head!”

“I’ll let you go. I’ve done what I needed to do.” Niklos lets me go and quickly slithers out of the room. When I leave the confessional, I can’t manage to find him, so I instead try to find Fr. Virgil. Eventually, I do find him in the nearby abbey after asking around for him.

“Did you need my help, Varena? What’s going on?”

“D-don’t trust Niklos! He’s a servant of Venetta, my other mom. My snakes, my temptations are still acting up because of him!”

Before Fr. Virgil can say anything, Zidane barges in. “Varena! I’m so glad that I finally found you! I don’t know where your parents are and your house is being attacked!”

“What?! As if today couldn’t get any worse.” Before Zidane can explain any further, I quickly get out of the building and make my way back home. Behind me, Zidane and Fr. Virgil try telling me to calm down and be careful. I don’t care to listen to them at this point. It doesn’t matter if this is Venetta’s doing or the people in the town. I’ll kill whoever is destroying what my family built up. When I get back to my house, I find a mob of people throwing things at my house with one of them trying to burn it down. I immediately leap into action and try to stop them, but I’m too late and the building catches fire. With it, the last bit of my patience goes away and my anger is enflamed even further.

Zidane manages to catch up and starts pushing aside the people who come after me. “Back off! You should all be ashamed of yourselves! Get behind me, Varena!”

I don’t listen to Zidane and throw myself into the fight and claw at my attackers until they start getting scared and run away. Trista, Selestine, and Fr. Virgil are here now and are trying to put out the fire, but that’s not a concern in my mind at the moment as my eyes and mind focus on the scum running away from me. Zidane tries to convince and stop me from chasing after them. I don’t listen to him and why should I? He should be chasing them down and making them pay with me. He’s my boyfriend and husband-to-be after all.

“You…you people won’t escape me!” I say while trying to keep down my temptations and continue the chase. Eventually, I lose Zidane in the constant twists and turns.

As I get closer to one of my targets in the alleyways we’re going through, I reach out for their neck in expectation of crushing it as soon as I can grab it. What surprises me is that we’re ambushed by deities and molted and the people I was going after are beaten down by them while I’m restrained and then Venetta arrives without any surprise.

“My daughter, I am overjoyed to see you again.”

“I’m not! You’re behind all my troubles and I want you out of my life! You’re probably also the reason why these people attacked my home!”

“Admittedly, I may have fed into their fears by trying to openly influence people and show ourselves in the night. I couldn’t help myself! What would you expect of a caring mother? After meeting you last week, I wanted you back as soon as possible! That’s why I sent Fr. Niklos after you to give you the wisdom that you need to become the princess and deity you were meant to be.”

“I won’t become who you want me to be so you might as well leave me alone or kill me!”

“Why must you be like this? It can’t be for the people of the town who ruined Zenos’ wonderful jewelry shop and hated you for your association with me. It can’t be because you’re devoted to a deity whose face you spit in every week with every sin you commit.”

“Y-you’re wrong! My confessions are genuine and I’ve been trying my best to change. It just takes time!”

“How much time? Your confessions are hollow because you keep making the same mistakes in the same ways all the time. In reality, you aren’t sorry for your sins and you shouldn’t be. You’re perfect as you are, my daughter. Nothing that you do is fundamentally wrong, as if such a thing exists. If it does, then it exists in your circus of a church with a deity that exists outside of reality and who doesn’t answer your prayers.”

“Shut up!”

“You know it to be true. No other faith claims to be true and worship a true deity and goes against their beliefs as your church does. Every single one of them is a hypocrite and a liar. Zenos and Qadira made a horrible mistake raising you to believe in it when they should’ve been teaching you to believe in yourself above all. That’s what true parents would’ve done.”

Tch! I can’t stop Venetta’s words as they reach further and further into my mind and take their root in it. The part of me that’s resisting is quickly fading away and it doesn’t help that part of what she says is true even if it’s only true on the surface in some manner of speaking.

“I know that what I’m saying is settling into you. You will soon be the princess and deity you were meant to be. Let’s finally go home together, my daughter. Rest for now.” One of Venetta’s snakes injects something into me with its tongue that makes me feel sleepy. As her servants take me away from the town, they stop just outside of it. I can vaguely hear Venetta say threatening words to the town if they don’t give up my dad to her and pledge their service to her kingdom. In the distance, I can see Zidane, my family, Trista, and Selestine watching and talking to each other. Please, you have to help me…

No comments:

Post a Comment