Thursday, May 18, 2023

Selfishness, Selflessness, and Sundays: Chapter 2 – Daily Temptations

Chapter 2 – Daily Temptations

An intruder breaks into my house. I grab the gun that Josh gave me and shoot him twice. After which, I heal him and strap his arms and legs down while I wait for him to wake up.

Once he does, I point my gun to his head and say, “You’re blessed that God made me a doctor and not a killer. You have two options. Leave and never try to steal again or stay here strapped to this table until you feel like trying option one.”

The man picks option one and promises never to leave again. I force him out of the house with my gun to his back and push him out the door when he gets to it. Now that he’s out of the door, I lock all my locks and keep my gun in my hands for the rest of the day just in case he comes back or if another robber comes in. Thieves, rapists, and murderers are common in this city and a handful of them have entered my house, which is why Josh gave me a handgun and trained me how to use it. Thankfully, I’ve been able to survive every attempt and after I defend myself, I always heal the intruder for some dumb reason according to me and my friends. Every time, I feel that I should kill the intruder almost wishing every time that my hands would slip and accidentally kill them. It’s never happened and I’ve let go of every intruder with only a couple of them coming back for revenge that were arrested by Josh afterward.

As I said to the last intruder, I’m a doctor and not a killer. Even though the temptation to kill always whispers to me when I’ve been wronged by criminals and the scum of the city, I’ve never done it, but it never stops bothering me. God, please help me never to kill and only to heal as you have made me a doctor and not an executioner, soldier, or officer. Looking up at the bloodied white snake coiled around a piece of wood that I have above my door, I remind myself of Jesus’ sacrifice and the various ways this represents His sacrifice. How He was perceived to be evil though He is sinless, how He willingly accepted our punishment for our sins, His immense suffering, and how He still hangs there ready to forgive even the worst of sinners. Offering up my suffering to Him has been another one of my ways of coping with my worries and misery.

Alright, now, I’m focused on my life’s purpose. Tomorrow comes and the rest of the week passes as if it were all contained in a single day because of all the patients I see and help. I also collaborate with other doctors on surgeries that require more than one doctor and ones that are easier with doctors around to keep the patient stable. After which, we congratulate and reward ourselves by splitting the pay and using the rest to go out to dinner in a better part of the city. It’s almost like we’re in a different city here with flying cars here and there, relatively clean streets, and a police presence every few blocks or so.

While eating at the restaurant we chose, we talk about how our lives have been going, notable events such as the intruder entering my house, and the struggles of being a doctor and being to make sure that we make it obvious that we don’t admit that we’re back alley doctors in public. Being a back alley doctor is illegal and we could be put in prison if anyone who wanted us in prison such as other doctors or people in the medical business who are losing business because of us find out and report us. This is why the only people who know of us are those we can trust or know someone we trust. Our close connections and underground network are also how we get the medical tech we need for surgeries and more particular procedures. In terms of medicine, we usually recommend natural solutions such as herbs and healthy living rather than giving them pills or injections. I’d say that our natural solutions are better than those in the medical industry since what they give out makes people sicker than healed. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think they do it so that people keep coming back for checkups more often than they would.

“You should stop picking people from the streets to help them,” one of my fellow doctors says.

What she says almost makes me choke on my food.

“What? Why?” I ask.

“Don’t act stupid. You already know why. Your life and work are at risk when you do it and don’t even get me started on healing the intruders.”

“Those people I find need help. Who’s going to help them if I don’t?”

“We can’t afford to take care of people who don’t pay and who may endanger our lives. They’d be better off dead.”

I get up, slap her, and say, “I’m a doctor! We’re doctors! We save lives, not abandon them!”

“Natasha, we know. It’s just that we have to be careful about who we care for. We can’t save everyone,” another doctor says.

For the rest of the dinner, the other doctors try bringing the good mood back to mixed results. When I get home, I immediately take a shower and hit the bed, especially since I have to help out at a homeless shelter tomorrow for extra pay. While I’m working and serving meals, I can’t help but think about what was said yesterday, especially when the poor and needy are picky with the food and supplies they receive. I’m tempted to tell them to leave if they don’t like it most days, but today I’m even more tempted to do so. The temptations bother me so much, in fact, that I don’t hear the sounds of fighting happening further in the building until everyone takes note of it and is moving to see what’s going on.

When I check out what’s happening with the others, I see a masked kidnapper trying to steal one of the women. Two other people are injured on the ground because of stab wounds presumably from the kidnapper’s knife that they still have in their hands that they point at everyone before bringing it to their hostage’s neck.

“Come any closer and she gets it next!” the kidnapper says.

No one moves. The kidnapper then takes away the woman out the door and into the alleyway. Even with them gone, no one does anything and just stands around and watches the door while we hear the woman’s muffled screams for help. This has happened before. People have been kidnapped in the morning, during the night, and sometimes during the midday like now. Every time it happens, the kidnapped person is never found. Occasionally, my imagination makes me hear the screams of the people who were kidnapped or at least that’s what I’d like to think. I can’t bear to think that I’m ignoring the screams of people who need help because I can’t do anything to help them and I can’t bear what’s happening now, so I run after this latest victim into the alley.

In the alley, I see the woman, her kidnapper, and two other people ready to put the woman into their car that’s parked on the sidewalk. For scenarios when I need to defend myself, I carry a small knife in my pockets, which I take out ready to use. It’s times like these that I wish concealed handguns were still legal in America. The kidnapper stops and threatens to cut the woman’s neck again, but I throw my knife at the kidnapper’s arm before they can say anything else. To my and the kidnapper’s surprise, the knife instead lands in the kidnapper’s neck making them let go of the woman who quickly runs behind me. I’ve taken throwing knife training for this exact scenario and I’ve somehow messed it up. Before I can even think of helping the kidnapper who is now clutching their bleeding throat, their two friends exit their car and run at me with their knives.

I pick up a nearby brick and throw it at one of the kidnappers who is knocked out once it hits their face. Quickly, I pick up the knife from the kidnapper I killed and dodge the attacks of the last kidnapper who swings their knife frantically and sloppily at me. They tire themselves out instantly because of the way they’re attacking allowing me to stab my knife into them, but I miss their gut because of the heat of the moment and end up stabbing the kidnapper in the chest, instantly killing them. People come out from behind me congratulating me for rescuing the woman, however, I’m in a panic because of what I’ve done.

“Get these people inside, especially the one with the head injury!” I say to them.

“Why should we help-”

“Because I’m a doctor, damn it!”

“Screw that!” one person says before taking the brick and caving in the kidnapper’s head in with it.

Livid, I start punching and screaming at the person. People have to pull me away from them and to be honest, I’m thankful they did because I would’ve done something I’d regret as if I don’t have enough to regret already. Sure, I’m glad I rescued the woman, but I killed two people. It’s a good thing that I’m working at a Catholic charity because I immediately go to a priest to confess what I did.

“You didn’t do anything wrong. You defended an innocent life by putting your life on the line. What you did was justified even though you killed those two kidnappers because you did it in self-defense,” the priest says.

Even though I trust the priest and know that I’m justified, I don’t feel that way. I’m a doctor and I killed two people. That fact will bother me for the rest of my life. The once tempting feelings I had to kill are bitterly satisfied and have left me feeling empty. After washing up and sitting down for a bit, I’m told by the other workers that the bodies of the kidnappers will be taken care of and buried somewhere no one will find them. I’m congratulated by most of the people in the building and given a golden cross, a bottle of wine, a basket of food, and a bonus in my pay as a reward. Torn by my feelings, I thank them, leave the building since my work today is done, go home, put my gifts on the table, and crash on the couch. I’ve somehow gotten more than I wanted and still feel horrible. That’s life in this country for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment