Thursday, November 3, 2022

A Lack of Heart: A Kingdom for One: Chapter 2 – Break off all Vexations

Chapter 2 – Break off all Vexations

The feeling that guided me to part of myself is quieter now if quieter is a good word for the feeling. It’s vaguer and completely silent at points. Many of the specters around me now notice me and senselessly attack me forcing me to defend myself from manifestations of myself. With each specter I defeat, the more of myself I remember, and the way forward is made clearer. It’s a mixed blessing if I’m being honest.

Every memory brings back the pains of the past that affect my specters that I use to defend myself. My specters lose their knight appearance and look more like disfigured bodies some of which bear a resemblance to my dead family. They remind me of my failures and even speak with a distorted version of their voices mixed with mine.

“I love you,” I hear my first and second wives say.

“The hero you could’ve become…what happened?” my mother asks.

“Where’s the good son that I raised?” my father asks.

“Daddy!” my children say.

Something’s wrong with these specters. They defend me and then talk without me commanding them to. Am I doing this on my own or is it something else? Currently, I’m going up the volcano since that’s where I came down from. I’m beginning to notice that some of the specters here are different than the others. Some wear black and gold crowns and have tinges of grey on their body. It seems like these specters reflect the worst parts of me so I try to ignore them, however, a group of them gathers around a gate near the top of the volcano.

“There’s no point in penance,” one of the specters says.

“I am perfect as I am.”

“There’s nothing more to change.”

“I’ll just fail again. I might as well just do what I’m best at and bear my flaws.”

This doesn’t seem right. I know that a person who is true to themselves will try to perfect themselves and be the person that the Absolute originally made them to be. A person true to themselves shouldn’t accept mediocrity, and I shouldn’t either. My family wanted me to be more. As if reading my thoughts, the specters stop talking and look at me with angry looks on their faces before swarming from all directions to attack me.

My specters form a protective barrier around me, but I can’t keep this up, especially with the constant noise in my head tempting me to give up. What can I do? Who can I call for help? Perhaps the Absolute is the only one who can, so I say a silent prayer. For a few seconds, I think my prayer falls on deaf ears until I see that the specters fall one by one until they’re all gone. When I dissipate my barrier of specters, I see that my savior is an angelic being made of various kinds of shields, swords, knives, and arrows all of which appear worn down from battle. Is this my guardian angel, a servile of the Absolute? A feeling within me makes me think that I know this servile somehow.

“It’s been a while since you last asked for my help and help from the Absolute. I’m glad that you did,” the servile says.

My feelings of gratitude soon give way to feelings of bitterness after remembering all the times that I thought the Absolute would've helped me and that being devoted to the Absolute means being His tool. A lot of representations of serviles show them as being humanlike whereas others show them as an amalgamation of tools, weapons, plants, or whatever else they may be helping with.

“Yeah...thank you,” I struggle to say.

“I'll protect you from the vainglory and help you regain yourself. We should be quick since the vainglory will not stop until you're theirs again.”

I remember being under their control and their almost divine appearance. They manifest themselves as grey and gold beings, with wings, and horn-like crowns. Their tempting whispers became one in my mind when I sacrificed the people that I considered to be my enemies for power and they still whisper to me right now. Suddenly, my guardian servile puts its sword through my head and takes out several of the vainglories from my body before dissipating them.

“Thank...thank you,” I say.

“You're welcome. As I said, we should move. More from the surrounding area are already on the attack as you can see,” my guardian servile says before moving up the volcano.

Following its advice, I follow the servile all the way up the volcano and into the castle that sits at its peak. Memories of what happened here force their way into my head and remind me that the third family I had was damned to the Land of the Forgotten because of me. The feelings of guilt and regret are enough to stop me in my place until my guardian servile repels more vainglories from me.

“Hurry inside!” it says.

After doing as it says, I can feel myself being drawn to the throne room. My body moves by itself as I go there and find an armored version of myself that only has half a face, half a body, one leg, and a sword for an arm.

“Here, again? Do you think that liar with you will change anything?” the specter of myself says.

“I’m not here to argue with you,” I say while summoning ten specters.

“You must be because surely you can’t be here to fight me.” The specter of myself summons enough specters to fill the entire room. “This is the power I have, or rather, you had when I was complete and conceited. You are nothing more than a specter for me to consume so I can resume my war for peace in this world of endless wars and conflicts. The entire world will be my kingdom where the innocent can live without fear for their lives. Hurry up and be one with me again.”

The specter me sends a seemingly endless number of specters at me and soon enough, I’m consumed in the flood. Everything is dark and I can hardly hear anything except the faint voice of my guardian servile.

“Why resist? Why not become a king?”

“I’m not worthy of becoming one nor am I fit to be one.”

“I am the worthiest person in the world. No one has the same abilities, experience, and the ability to deal with as much heartache as I do.”

“There is no one who is as foolish as I.”

“I don’t need the Absolute. I even had the vainglory under my control.”

“I had the illusion of control.”

“To be free from the Absolute is the freedom to define myself, and I am Absalom, the one true King of All! Under my protection, no more innocent people will suffer. I will finally live in peace with a loving family. All I need to do is free this world from the Absolute’s grasp and I can have it all. I was on the verge of making it happen.”

“All I do falls to ruin.”

“What would I rather think? Don’t I deserve the glory that comes with my power or am I the sum of my failures?”

Considering the options, I decide, “I will not be a slave to my high opinions of myself, especially when I’ve been proven wrong. How can I be so prideful when I’ve fallen so far from what I was even in comparison to what I want myself to be at the height of my power? It was right for me to fail and be given this punishment. Let the Absolute do whatever it wants with me.”

The space around me clears as my specters enter me and the vainglories fly away before disappearing into thin air.

“Well done. Your humility has banished a majority of the demonic presence of your heart,” my guardian servile says.

“How come you didn’t help me more?” I ask.

“I brought your prayers to the Absolute and prayed for you. I’ve always been at your side and aiding you even though it may not be obvious.”

It isn’t obvious at all. Still, I’m glad that it seems to be over, or at least mostly over. The barrier surrounding the volcano has many holes in it allowing the light outside to shine through and a lot of the specters from the city are coming back into me. I look at myself in the reflective surface of the floor to see the tan color in my skin has been restored along with the color in my eyes. My hair is back and my body is mostly restored except for a heart-shaped hole in my chest and the other half of my face. Where could the last part of me be?

“Follow me to find the last piece,” my guardian servile says as if it read my mind.

Since I have no better option and feel that I can trust the servile more, I do so. Hopefully, with its help, I’ll finally be free of this prison and be more of the person my family envisioned me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment