Monday, May 16, 2022

Venatores Noctis: Adoption Through Blood: Chapter 2 - Master Slaves

Chapter 2 – Master Slaves

Unbeknownst to Loretta and Evan, they have fallen asleep on one another. The other serfs who see this leave them alone and either assume that this was by mistake or a hint by God of their future together. It isn’t until they wake up do they separate and apologize to each other at the same time. They look into each other’s eyes for an awkward amount of time before apologizing again and looking away. Their heads then begin to feel light as they hear silent tempting whispers. Evan knows what this is while Loretta is less familiar.

“The vampire devils are near,” Evan says to a serf.

“Vampire devils?” Loretta asks.

“Sinners who tried becoming vampire gods by sinning as much as they could, but they were struck down by God before the blasphemous baptism could be completed on them.”

“So they’re scummier than the typical trash. They’ll die and go to Hell all the same.”

“But you must be careful with these ones. They attack you mentally and spiritually, and the way they fight physically is unnatural.”

“Unnatural how?”

“Like that of a demon. We need to hold these things off.” Evan turns to his serfs. “Loretta and I will meet up with you in the Church’s territory.”

“You can’t keep sacrificing yourself for us, sir. Let us help you.”

“I have Loretta with me and we’re not that far from the border. Besides, I need you all to protect the infants. Even if the Church is put off by you being serfs, they’ll have to accept you in because of the infants. Trust me with this.”

“Sir, we trust you with our lives. Send those demons back to Hell.”

“Gladly.”

Evan and Loretta jump off the wagon and then stand back to back while peering into the dark on high alert. They feel and hear the dark whispers from the demons getting louder and more oppressive as the creatures near them until a deafening silence tempts them with what weakens them the most.

“You’re a failure of a father for what you’ve done. You’ve completely lost yourself,” a voice says to Evan.

“You let your entire family down. The Church and the world will be lost because of you,” another voice whispers to Loretta.

“Don’t listen to them, Loretta! Watch out for them!” Evan says.

“I know, I know,” Loretta says.

Images of what happened to her father, her family, and their supporters enter Loretta’s head. At the same time, Evan sees images of his dead family and reminders of morally questionable decisions. Managing to snap out of his delusion before Loretta, Evan swats away the incoming devils and wakes Loretta up by shaking her. It is then that Loretta sees what a vampire devil looks like. They appear to be the mangled and somehow living bodies of people with bones jutting out of their bodies in unnatural ways with two bones jutting out at their shoulders as if they were a demon’s horns. There is also a face in the chest or the lower areas of their bodies that smile and stretch in ways that tear the flesh from its own body. Their heads hang uselessly from the back of the devil while having horrified expressions on them, and if listened to closely, the screams of a soul burning in Hell can be heard.

Loretta snaps to attention and uses her whip quickly to defeat more devils that throw themselves at them. If she was honest with herself, Loretta would say that she was acting out of fear, but this time, it works out in her favor since the devils move faster than the vampires she’s used to. Having a moment to rest, the two, collect themselves before running after the wagon while also keeping an eye out for more enemies.

“That was something else. Those really were devils.”

“I know. They’re the most dangerous kind of vampire to fight to my knowledge second only to the vampire gods.”

“I thought the gods and devils were one and the same because of their abilities?”

“It’s probably true that the vampire gods are just demons pretending to be the person in the body they are now in, but the vampire devils make no attempt to hide their true identity and ruin humanity openly with their temptations and non-stop attacks when given the chance.”

“But why haven’t I seen many before?”

“Because the devils hide in the shadows and only come out when the gods need them to and the devils don’t want to intimidate those who want to become vampires or vampire gods with the consequences of their sins. They want the rewards to be the most visible and the evils to be hidden or mitigated to the point where the sinner is fooled into thinking that the cost of becoming a vampire is reasonable.”

“Their appearances are ugly all the same no matter how they try to dress it up.”

“Still, people will commit horrible deeds if they think the cost is reasonable or the logic sound. I should know this the most.”

“But you’ve changed now. I think you’re-”

Temptations begin to fill their heads again causing Loretta and Evan to hold their heads in pain. Both pray and use the pain of the temptations against it so that they’re slightly lessened. Even so, the devils increase their temptations until both Evan and Loretta begin seeing their temptations manifest through a dark fog that separates them.

“Hardheaded and reckless as always. When will you learn to be a true Aurora?” a voice says to Loretta.

“What would you know about that? You’re nothing but an illusion!” Loretta says.

She defends herself from the false versions of the people she loves while Evan does much of the same where he is. He runs from the attacks of his temptation until he calms his heart. The attacks of his temptations go through him and quiet down despite being loud as Evan pays more attention to the noises outside of the fog. Noticing that he isn’t letting the temptations get to him, the devils increase his temptations and go after him instead of Loretta who was their original target. Once the devils get in range, Evan finally moves and kills them, which dispels the dark fog around him and Loretta. The two runs to each other to check on each other before heading back out to rendezvous with the other serfs, however, it begins to rain and storm so hard that they don’t think it safe to continue forward, so they seek shelter in an abandoned town and rest in a small house for the time being.

Seeking something to talk about, so that they don’t sit in silence, Loretta says, “It’s a shame that the residents of this town are no longer here. I hate to think about what happened to them.”

“I know what did. A few of them were blessed enough to survive and become serfs who work for me.”

“If that’s a blessed fate, then the others must have suffered something truly…I’m sorry to have implied that being a serf is-”

“No, it can feel like a curse, and some of us do get what we deserve since some become serfs because they’d rather not be vampires or face a painful death or lose something or someone valuable to them.”

“Even so, your serfs are different and so are you. Something about you changed after you realized you were wrong for trying to “mercy” kill those baptized infants.”

“Maybe it was God’s grace. Still, I don’t know if my confession was done perfectly so I’ll have to visit a priest and do a proper confession to know for sure that I’ve been restored to a state of grace.”

“Despite all that, your mouth, arms, and legs are blessed by God and can be used as weapons against the vampires.”

“So?”

“God doesn’t take away an artist’s ability to draw nor a warrior’s ability to fight just because they’re sinners. I’m trying to say that I’m beginning to see what God gave you that certain blessing.”

“Thank you for saying that. It’s comforting to hear you say that despite what I did to you and your family. That was a mistake as well.”

“I…to be honest. I don’t feel like I forgive you for that, but I will because I’ve seen your change of heart, and you have lots of time to make it up to me.”

“What are you asking for?”

“That you let me lead with you as well. It’s obvious that I can pick up for where you fail.”

“Understandable. I accept this.”

“Also, if we ever take over a vampire’s castle, I have to get the best room and it has to be decorated to my specifications.”

“So, my serfs will act as serfs for you as well as if you were a princess?”

“Not entirely. I don’t ask for much.”

“I’ve seen your room and know how you like to decorate. You like to have every single kind of weapon and piece of armor there is along with tons of statues and paintings of saints, angels, and the Blessed Mother triumphing over evil.”

“Okay, and?”

“That’s a bit more than much.”

“I grew up with an admiration for battle and I was allowed to have all these things by my father and everyone else didn’t complain about it.”

“He spoiled you.”

“He did not! He just treated me like how a daughter of a royal bloodline should be treated.”

“So, he did spoil you. Thank you for resting my case.”

The two then argue in circles for a bit while kidding around and laughing.

Being curious, Loretta asks, “Do you always wear that mask on your mouth?”

“Yes, it’s useful in intimidation and fits my image of myself.”

“Can you take it off?”

“Why?”

“I want to see your face with you it off, and uh, you don’t want to intimidate the Church when we see them.”

“Okay, I see.” Evan takes off his mask, and without it, he seems much less monstrous. “How’s this? Do I look less scary?”

“Yes, but I think we can make it better.” Loretta takes a band off the back of her head that’s keeping her long hair together and uses it to put Evan’s hair into a ponytail while also fixing up his hair. “There we go. Now, you look less like a beast and more like a man.”

With her arms around his head, Loretta and Evan look intently at each other for a few seconds before backing off and apologizing to each other at the same time.

“Thank you. I forgot that I have to clean up my appearance and that having an intimidating appearance isn’t always the best one to have.”

“Y-you’re welcome.”

Soon after, the two make small talk about the rain and their plans before falling asleep on each other as they did on the carriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment