Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Venatores Noctis: Selfless Self-Destruction: Chapter 1 – A Legacy to Live Up to


Chapter 1 – A Legacy to Live Up to

A lone man in a black cloak stops at a town on his way to his destination.

“Can you spare any food or water?” he asks in various ways to the townspeople he comes across.

Everyone who sees him is wary of the man since he doesn’t show his face and because he has pale skin like that of a vampire. His cloak is stained with dirt and blood, and he stinks of sweat. It doesn’t help that the vampires have recently taken their fair share of the infants, priests, and young for their blasphemous sacraments and to make more serfs. A nearby scream attracts the attention of the lone man who runs to find out what the reason behind it is. He finds a crowd gathered around a vampire that’s holding a bloody infant.

“I’ve ripped this infant from his mother’s womb because you would not pay your due tithe to us. Let this be your final lesson or else it will happen again and it will only get worse from there,” the vampire says with the crying twitching infant held in the air like a trophy.

It is then the lone man takes off his cloak, jumps into the air, and slices the vampire in two at the torse with his whip before catching the infant, wrapping him in his cloak, and giving him to a relative. Now that his cloak is off, the townspeople can clearly see who this lone man is.

“It’s Claudius Aurora of the Aurora vampire hunting family!” a townsperson says.

Most people in the crowd are glad to see him except for another band of vampire hunters that approach him.

“I didn’t expect the son of a coward to be out here by himself,” one of the hunters says.

“I’d hit you in the face, but I don’t want to stain my hands with the blood of a vile sinner who would insult my father,” Claudius responds in kind.

Claudius passes by the hunters.

“If your father was on the field rather than comfortable in the political sphere then we would actually respect him,” another hunter says.

“Ignore him. Our job is done here,” yet another says.

“Our job is done? He took our job.”

“They’ll be another. I say that we follow him and return the favor he did for us.”

The words of the hunter are ignored as Claudius is on his way out of the town.

He is stopped by a townsperson that says, “We didn’t know it was you asking for food and water, so here’s some. We have more if this isn’t enough.”

“No, as it said, if you do not help the least, you do not help the Lord. This town deserved to be tormented by the vampires,” Claudius coldly says while taking the food and water and throwing them on the ground.

The townsperson recoils in fear with the others who hear what Claudius has said. Meanwhile, Claudius’ stomach growls. He offers up the pain of his hunger and thirst before continuing on. As he travels to his next destination, he asks a traveling merchant for food and water to which the merchant gives it even though Claudius can’t pay for it. With a drooling mouth, Claudius almost devours the bread from the hands of the merchant, but he stops himself, thanks God for the bread and water, and then calmy eats and drinks.

“Haven’t you eaten anything, boy?” the merchant asks.

“No, not since the last daily mass I attended,” Claudius says.

“I mean food like meat, vegetables, and non-consecrated bread.”

“I haven’t since I left Rome.”

“Rome? That’s a week’s journey from here. You’ve gone this long without food or water?”

“It’s been a three day journey thanks to the kindness of strangers.”

“How can you survive like that?”

“By the gifts of God and strangers. I’ve drunk from rivers and lakes and eaten the leftover pieces of bread from those who could offer it.”

“Why are you putting yourself through this? I mean have you taken a look at yourself in a while?  Are you some kind of warrior penitential monk?”

“No, I have just taken many penances on my quest so that I may pay for my sins, the sins of the world, and for the Holy Souls in Purgatory along the way. These scars that you see on me are self-inflicted such as my bruised and bloodied knees from intense praying and mediation. I tattooed and cut the cross and monogram of Our Lord on my chest both as penance and as a sign of who I’ve given my soul to. This hundred decade rosary on my right arm is here for me always pray to the Blessed Mother, and these bandage on my face is meant to conceal my identity so people won’t treat me better because of my upbringing.”

“Who are you exactly?”

“Claudius Aurora.”

“Oh, Aurora. I’ve heard that your father and his band of vampire hunters have really helped the allies of the Church and more. Why aren’t you back in Rome with him where it’s much safer and more comfortable?”

“Because I must live up to my grandfather’s legacy. It’s right that I should be since I'm his grandson. He always said that I would do great things and become even better than he was when he was alive on Earth. I’m not going to let him down.” Claudius falls to his knees and looks towards the sky. “Grandfather Nevar, look down upon me with favor, and please intercede for me in Heaven.”

After parting ways, Claudius sees a party of vampires and their serfs making their way toward the town he was in. Because of how they treated him, he decides to ignore it. A ray of light shines on him as an angel appears in front of him, his guardian angel. This divine being manifests itself as a being with a cloak made of thorny vines, four wings and four whips that float independently of the body, and four eyes with no mouth that reside in the dark hood.

It says, “Be merciful, Claudius. There are repentant souls in the town now because of your actions. They are now worthy of having their punishment lifted from them for the time being.”

“Is that so? A harsher punishment could further prevent them from being uncharitable to strangers,” Claudius says.

“The vampires will not take kindly to one of their own being killed and the people that they spare will become their serfs. This town won’t last a day.”

“Becoming a serf is a horrible fate. Okay, you’ve convinced me. I’ll go.”

Meanwhile, the vampire hunting group from before eagerly awaits the approaching vampires and sets up a trap for them. The archers perch themselves on the roofs while the warriors and assassins lurk in the shadows or act as live bait. This trap works in taking out a vampire and some of the serfs, however, the vampires have brought their best since they heard that a member of the Aurora family is headed this way and the hunters are soon killed. Each of them is killed in brutal ways with some being beaten to death with their own limbs. A survivor is left alive and forced to crawl to the approaching Claudius with his arm being the only limb he has to pull him forward. The townspeople fearfully hide in their homes and pray that Claudius is successful.

“Please…help. I don’t want to die,” the dying hunter says.

Looking down at him, Claudius says, “Vampire hunting is a job, not a lucrative career choice because it will one day end forever. I hope you know that now. There’s no saving your life, so use the shameful state you are in as penance and hopefully, God will save your soul. Perhaps you won’t even go to Purgatory.”

After leaving the hunter to their fate, Claudius boldly approaches the vampires and readies his whip for the fight. The vampires who are hungry for a glorious victory of taking the head of an Aurora leap into action and are swiftly killed by Claudius. He whips them in half then sighs at the lack of challenge. It is then that the other vampires use a pincer attack on him and try to attack him one after the other in an unpredictable pattern. Still, Claudius is able to dodge and kill each vampire thanks to his training. When the dust settles, the townspeople come out of hiding and cheer.

“You have seen the fruits of faith and will of God shown through me. Go and sin no more,” Claudius says before heading off.

It is then that a townsperson offers him a horse and satchel of bread, which he reluctantly accepts because of the silent whispers of his guardian angel. He then crosses himself in thanks for the gifts and heads out while silently praying his rosary.

No comments:

Post a Comment