Sunday, January 17, 2021

Hell Above, Heaven Below: Chapter 3 – Kneeling to Rise

Chapter 3 – Kneeling to Rise

Cupido’s center of gravity is warped as he enters the light and arrives on what feels to be the surface. His eyes adjust to the light to reveal that he’s in a place with a giant circular tower colored a dark red, orange, and gold and a giant white tree at the top with seven large branches. This amazing sight makes Cupido, Amora, and townspeople speechless. It isn’t until the kids from the town start cheerfully running towards the tower do they start moving. Around the tower is a village of black huts and buildings with people going about their daily business.

“This is all so very different from where I came from,” Cupido says to himself, “How is this all underground?”

He looks up to see a clear white sky with a bright sun shining behind the white tree then looks to see where he came from to almost lose his footing as his eyes are surprised by what he’s seeing.

“What the?! How is this possible?” Cupido says.

The townspeople appear to be climbing downward to arrive on the surface. A mind-bending sight to be sure that confuses everyone who sees it.

“Am I seeing things, Amora?”

“No, I’m seeing it too.”

“We didn’t die when we fell to the factory, did we? Are we really still alive?”

What looks to be a man descends from the sky. His closed eyes are bleeding, his head has jagged horns on his head in the arrangement of a crown, and his bleeding hands are bound in prayer by chains. He wears a red cross on his body that appears to have been carved into his skin. Along with this, he is wearing a red and gold long skirt.

“Be not afraid,” the man says.

“Who are you? What are you? Are you an angel?” Cupido asks.

“I am. I am glad that you see me as such despite your dealings with the demons.”

“It’s an assumption. I’m used to seeing angels with wings. How are you flying?”

“I am flying because I trust in God. If God wants something to fly, He gives them wings. He can also make nature bend to His will whenever He wants so even a flightless being can fly. Because of this truth, we believe with faith that we can fly without wings. You can do the same.”

“I’ll pass for now. I’ve had enough of falling and ascending in what seems like a miracle.”

“Understandable. God is very proud of you for humbling yourself and finally answering His call for you.”

“I’m still surprised He asked so much of me despite my situation. I have so many questions like, like what about my parents! Did they make it here?”

“They did and they know everything that you have done. They are very proud of you as well.”

Cupido is almost brought to tears by what he is hearing as Amora holds him.

“We made it together. I couldn’t have done it without you,” Amora says.

“I wouldn’t be alive without you. Our escape is also thanks to you.”

Cupido and Amora smile before they put their heads together before they kiss. They fly up into the air without knowing and land on one of the branches of the white tree. When Cupido opens his eyes and sees where he is, he almost falls. He then laughs with Amora before looking out at the vast landscape before them. They see a gorgeous paradise that is free from all their past worries and problems. As they hold each other’s hands, they put their heads together again.

 

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment