Thursday, April 16, 2020

Delilah and the Hall of Dead Dreams: Chapter 2 – Who Doesn’t Have More than One Dream?

Chapter 2 – Who Doesn’t Have More than One Dream?
Today, Delilah goes to perform in the musical and performs well for a raving audience. When the reviews for the musical come in tomorrow, Delilah reads about how the critics and audiences loved her performance, but her singing was subpar.
“What were you expecting?” the dark voice inside of her says, “You’re not that good of a singer.”
“I wasn’t that good of an actress. That’s why I put that orb inside my chest.”
“What are you going to do now? I already have a good idea of what you should do, and I know you do as well.”
“How do you know what I’m thinking?”
“Because I am you, remember? You could always choose not to act in musicals.”
“But I want to. I want to act in every kind of story to bring happiness and joy to everyone!”
“Then you know what you have to do.”
Delilah considers her options and decides to go with the only idea that she feels any comfort in doing. She goes back to the Hall of Dead Dreams with Fidato and Onesta by the door as if they were expecting her.
“Hello again, my dear. I trust that you are achieving your dream?” Fidato asks.
“Kind of,” Delilah says.
Fidato and Onesta kneel to Delilah’s height with a worried expression on their faces.
“What’s the problem? Are you not wooing the crowds with your amazing acting?” Onesta asks.
“I am, but I can’t sing well in musicals.”
“Oh, I see now. Singing is considered a separate skill from acting. I’m sorry that it wasn’t included with your dream,” Fidato says.
“But we can make it up to you with another orb. You will lose another part of yourself as a result. Are you willing to do that?” Onesta asks.
Without much thought, Delilah says, “Yes, I will.”
“You’re such a good girl.”
“Sacrificing yourself for the happiness and entertainment for others is truly a selfless action. I wish we had someone like you as our daughter.”
Onesta goes to get a few orbs and brings them to Delilah.
“What are all these? Shouldn’t there just be one?”
“There are many different genres of music and different kinds of acting. I thought that you would want to be a master in everything. That is what you wanted, right?”
“…you’re right. Thank you for getting these all for me.”
Delilah puts all the orbs inside of her chest and feels an intense and sudden rush of power. Before she knows it, she has taken on at least three different acting roles during the day. She’s praised more than ever by everyone in the town and word of her acting gets the attention of neighboring towns that gather for one late afternoon musical. After it’s finished, Delilah is hailed as the greatest puppet alive and given a celebration that lasts until the next morning. The people in the town rest from the large party, but part of Delilah is still wide awake. She awakens along with it as it walks through the town with a poisoned blade that’s coming out of her left hand.
“What are you doing?” she asks herself.
“I’m thinning the competition again. I am the greatest actress in the history of the world. There is no need for anyone else.”
“No! You can’t do this!”
“You’re right. I’ll only hurt the girl puppets. I need boy puppets to act with me and one to marry.”
“Wait! Stop!”
“Watch and learn. This is how you secure your place in showbusiness.”
Unable to do anything, Delilah watches herself hurt other puppets in their sleep by breaking them apart or cutting off the strings between their limbs.
“When they wake up, they won’t be able to act much less move around and with the poison in their systems, we have secured our roles in the future.”
Delilah cries within herself as she is unable to make herself cry on the outside.
“It’s okay. Don’t cry. They aren’t dead. I just wouldn’t call them fully alive.”
A nearby noise alerts her to see that her parents have woken up. They see her and are shocked by what they see.
“Who are you and what have you done to those poor girls?” Delilah’s mom says.
“Mom! I didn’t mean too! I’m sorry!” Delilah says within herself as she is unable to speak through her mouth.
“What does it matter to you?” Delilah’s dark voice speaks out loud.
“They were innocent and hard working girls!” Delilah’s dad says.
“You’ll soon be glad they’re like this.”
Delilah’s parents don’t recognize her dark appearance and grab nearby sticks to defend themselves with.
“Mom! Dad! It’s me! Your daughter!” Delilah says within herself.
“Don’t worry about them. I’ll make sure this is quick,” Delilah’s dark voice says before she knocks out her parents. “They’ll be okay. They’ll wake up tomorrow with a headache.”
“I’ve made a mistake.”
“What?”
“This is all wrong.”
Delilah struggles for control for herself and manages to get control of some of her body. She walks to the Hall of Dead Dreams only for it to grow four legs and run away.
“Wait!”
Running with everything she has, Delilah reaches the railing and manages to get on it. Going into the hall, she sees that the place has become more expansive. The dreams that were once contained within the orbs are now free and have their own area within the large hall.
“Hello! Onesta! Fidato!” Delilah calls out. “Where could they be?”
“You shouldn’t worry about finding them. I cemented your dream into reality.”
“No. I need to fix this.”
“Even it means giving up your dream?”
“Yes.”
“Oh, so heroic! How are you going to find them? The dreams here are set free, which means you’ll have to find them in this mess. Some of the dreams even look dangerous.”
“It doesn’t matter. I’ll go through it all.”
“Let’s see how brave you are when you actually start going through the dreams.”

No comments:

Post a Comment