Sunday, February 2, 2020

The Bella and Her Butler: Chapter 3 – Responsibilities of Royalty

Chapter 3 – Responsibilities of Royalty
When Baxter and Blair wake up, they see that they’re a different room with everything colored black and happy/sad faces moving across almost every surface. The hotel splits apart as it separates the two from each other.
“Lesson one,” the faces say, “You must learn to be without the people you trust.”
“Baxter!” Blair yells out while reaching out to him.
“I’ll be okay, princess! Just make it through the test! I know you can do it!” Baxter yells out in response.
“You better pass it or I’m really going to have to slap you when I see you again!”
A face near Baxter and one near Blair rises up from the ground like a snake and swallows them as it transports them to their test. Baxter finds himself in the library that’s empty and dark with the man he saw last night standing above him on the second floor of the library. All the man’s spiderlike eyes stare at him in complete concentration and blink in unison. Baxter dusts himself off and stands attentive. The man walks back and forth a couple of times as Baxter awaits his test.
“My name is Master Oro and I will be your instructor for today.”
“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Master Oro. I am at your service,” Baxter says with a bow.
Oro continues to walk back in forth in silence before saying, “It’s time to test your skills as a servant.”
He claps his hands as tables with silverware come down from the ceiling along with cases of sculptures, beds, and furniture.
“What will you have me do, master?”
“Clean it up.”
The sculptures, furniture, beds, tables, silverware, and books in the library come to life and start dancing and flying around the library. Baxter hurries and tries to catch and tidy up everything that’s flying around. He uses different tricks like using the sheets to catch whatever is flying and the table to block in the sculptures to try to be as efficient as possible. He keeps moving and moving as fast as he can until Oro claps his hands again and whatever Baxter hasn’t cleaned up goes back in its proper place. Whatever doesn’t naturally belong in the library like the bed, sculptures, and dinner tables go back up to the ceiling and disappear.
“You’re a good servant and a good boy, Baxter. I’d even call you a man.”
“Thank you, Master Oro. I apologize for not getting everything in order in time.”
“You have nothing to apologize for. The test was meant to your ability to adapt to a challenging situation while staying as organized as possible.”
“Thank you for your approval.”
“You’ve also passed your test when it comes to serving your master though I must warn you about how close you are to Princess Blair.”
“What of it?”
“A butler cannot marry a princess even if they are of a royal line of butlers such as yours.”
“I wasn’t thinking about marrying her.”
“Now you aren’t. Your parents have told me your relationship with the princess, and it may hinder her from marrying true royalty.”
“Excuse me for asking, but why does it matter?”
“It’s a matter of tradition.”
“Sacred?”
“No.”
“Then it doesn’t matter.”
“I see your point. I was one of the worst royals in the history of the world, but because I gave myself over to God at the end of my life, I was given this second chance. The sacred should be placed over man’s traditions if they conflict, however, this doesn’t no matter how superficial it seems.”
“Are you sure I’m not actual royalty? Let me check the files on my family to see.”
“I’ve read your family’s files every time before one comes to train here. I am certain that your family isn’t true royalty.”
“Let me take a look just to be sure.”
“Trust me. I’m telling you the truth. What reason do I have to deceive you?”
“I’m just going to make sure. Princess Blair told me to not let other people tell me what to do and push me around. I might be a butler, but I’m not a pushover.”
“…Go ahead.”
“Thank you, Master Oro.”
Baxter looks through his family’s files starting from the beginning and finds that it isn’t royalty, however, one of the members did marry someone who isn’t in their files. He searches the library and cross-references many files until he finds there was a butler in his family that was actually a prince who changed his name and appearance and ran away from his family to be with a maid. Once his evidence has complied, Baxter gives it to Oro who reviews it and is shocked.
“I forget sometimes that I’m not all-knowing when it comes to these files. Thank you for the reminder, Baxter. I’ll take this as a sign of God’s Will to bring two hearts together across man’s tradition. We’ll have to rethink the way we do things especially when it comes to people falling in love. There doesn’t seem like there’s much for me to teach you either than the reminder that life never ceases to teach you. You will even be taught the same lesson multiple times and you will never stop learning. Be faithful to God and to your masters.”
“Yes, Master Oro. Thank you for your wisdom.”
“Oh, don’t thank me yet. Princess Blair is still going through her training and needs you for the last part.”
“I will be there for her. Just send me right over.”
“Of course, but I must apologize in advance for what I’m about to do to you.”
“What are you-”
As Oro touches Baxter, his body contorts as he turns into a monster.
“You will not be in control of yourself, but you will not do anything too rash. Trust in your princess that she will do the right thing.”
As Baxter was starting his test, Blair was stomping on the many happy/sad faces in a ballroom.
“You better not be harming my Baxter! I’ll beat you up!”
The woman with spiderlike eyes that Blair saw yesterday comes into the room via the two largest doors.
“Calm yourself, Princess Blair. Your anger and lack of self-control is your greatest weakness.”
“Mmmm.”
“My name is Mistress Argenta, and I will be your instructor for today.”
Blair reluctantly curtseys for the sake of the test and says, “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mistress Argenta.”
Argenta walks back and forth in silence for a while as Blair begins to lose her patience and is about to complain, but then remembers what Argenta just said, so she controls herself and waits for Argenta to speak. A shadow walks out from behind Argenta and it reveals itself to be Phillip.
“Hello, Princess Blair.”
“Hello, Prince Phillip.”
“Where’s your servant boy? You seem so lonely without him.”
“He’s taking his own test. I’m sure he’ll pass it.”
“Oh, I wouldn’t be too sure. Servants aren’t as competent as us royals. Even though your servant may be a royal servant, he still isn’t much.”
“I…disagree. He’s more special than you know. I just know that he’ll succeed.”
“Oh? We’ll know if your crush will succeed soon enough.”
The shadow of Phillip disappears back into Argenta. Blair takes a breath of relief before Phillip appears in front of her in the blink of an eye with a wide grin. She manages to hold her composure by holding onto her skirt and imagines holding onto Baxter’s hand. Phillip walks around Blair a couple of times then stops in front of her.
“I almost had you. Maybe you aren’t as volatile as I thought,” Phillip says before disappearing back into the ground.
Blair holds her ground in case of more surprises. She hears the sound of something hitting the ceiling until it breaks through. This thing happens to be Baxter transformed as a monster. His face and eyes are elongated, his body, legs, and arms are skinnier, and he has a strange smile on his face.
“Baxter…What happened to you?!”
“Nothing special. My eyes have just been opened is all,” Baxter says in a possessed voice.
“What do you mean?”
Baxter walks on all fours as he approaches Blair.
“My eyes have opened to your abuse. To your lack of love.”
“What?”
“Isn’t it obvious? All your abuse. All the times you hit me over and over again. You take pleasure in that. You take your frustrations out on me because you can’t stand when I’m right.”
“That’s not-”
Baxter lunges forward and almost hits Blair and smashes the ground behind her with his long arms.
“It is true.”
“…Okay. You’re right. It is true that I get jealous of you when you’re right, but that doesn’t mean I don’t love you. I’m still trying to control myself and I regret every single time I hit you or cause you any kind of pain. I promise to be better because…because I love you, Baxter.”
Blair kisses Baxter’s face, which turns him back to normal.
“Huh? What happened?” Baxter says as Blair hugs him, “Princess? I didn’t hurt you or anything, did I?”
“No, you didn’t.”
A celebration is held for the two with everyone there including Leighton, Lynette, Phillip, his dad, Oro, and Argenta. Meanwhile, a letter is sent by Oro and Argenta to their parents to inform them of Baxter’s true royal family history and to not let the traditions of men be valued over the bond that God has formed between the two. After resting for the day, they leave the town via horse-drawn carriage that Baxter is driving with their luggage.
“So, what do you think our parents are going to say?” Baxter asks.
“About what?” Blair says.
“About my discovery of my family’s royal history.”
“I don’t care what they say as long as we’re together and you better not care either.”
“Yes, princess.”
Blair holds Baxter’s hand and puts her head on his shoulder.
“Please don’t just call me princess. Call me Blair or something better.”
“Hmmm. Yes, my love.”
Baxter and Blair kiss as they ride back to their home with lessons learned and their love finally made official not by any law of man, but by the Will of God.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment