Thursday, June 13, 2019

Last Five Bullets: Chapter 3 – Chekhov’s Gun

Chapter 3 – Chekhov’s Gun
We’re almost to the police station and there hasn’t been one single flesh zombie in sight. This feels so wrong compared to before where I couldn’t look in a single direction without seeing one of those things, but the town seems completely empty now. It makes sense because of what we just fought though it feels like there should be more. This makes things difficult for me in how I need to get rid of her. I’m hoping that either the people in the helicopter or in Curaga will change their mind if I can convince them that she can come with me. They must have seen what happened. They must know that she can be useful.
She’s sticking close to me while looking around and looking down at the ground every few seconds. Poor girl just lost her home and everyone she knew. There has to be something I can do.
“We’re here,” Clarrisa says as we arrive at the front of the police station.
This place isn’t heavily barricaded so it’s easy to slip into. The inside of the station barely has any blood in it and the place is mostly clean with a few things lying around as if someone was trying to leave after a normal Friday and they just wanted to go home. We pass by the armory and find that most of the guns are gone, but we do find some ammo and leftover grenades.
“We should take these just in case,” I say.
“You don’t think there are more out there, do you?”
“Better to be safe than sorry.”
“My dad always said that. He always warned me not to get into danger unless I knew I could get out.”
“He’s a smart man. I told my own daughter something similar.”
“You have a daughter?”
“Yeah. She has an incurable disease.”
“Is this job to help her?”
“Yes, it is.”
“I have a feeling you know more about this outbreak of flesh zombies than you let on. Is it true?”
Why does she really have to ask me this now?
She continues, “I know you’re an experienced officer, so you must be trained in knowing when someone’s lying, but that also must mean you know how to lie. You’ve been leaving just enough details in what you say and enough honesty in your voice to convince me that you’re an honest man, so be honest with me.”
“Your dad taught you how to be a good cop. I’m sure he’s proud of you.”
“Dad didn’t raise his daughter to be an airhead. Give me an honest answer.”
“The honest truth is that I was sent here to retrieve part of a cure that caused this outbreak, but the people who worked with us rebelled because they wanted the credit and fame for themselves. The cure itself can cure millions of people including my daughter, but when it’s separate, it’s deadly. Don’t blame the cure makers. Just blame the selfish pricks who didn’t want to cooperate because they weren’t going to get the credit they wanted.”
“Can you tell me who you work for?”
“You can figure that out on your own. A helicopter is coming here to pick me up with half the cure, but they don’t want anyone coming with me because they don’t trust you. That’s why you have to escape on your own.”
“They’re not much of a company that wants to help people if they want to leave me for dead.”
“They don’t want you dead. They just would rather you didn’t know who they were because you might not understand that it wasn’t their fault.”
“If that’s the way it’s going to be, then I will figure it out on my own.”
“I know you will. Now, go get a vehicle and leave.”
“Fine.”
Clarrisa leaves with her weapons. She’s going to find the answers she wants or Curaga is going to find her. I just know it. I hope they don’t do anything bad…oh no.
“Watch out!”
A large tendril is about to hit Clarrisa through a window, so I push her out of the way before it hits her.
“Clarrisa!”
“I’m okay!”
“Get out of here! Hurry!”
“How about you follow your own advice, old man?!”
Right. I head up the stairs as tendrils begin to pierce through them. Is that atrocity from before still alive or is this a different one? Whatever the answer is, I’m sure I’ll find out soon. When I get up to the roof, I look into the distance to see my helicopter, but when I look off one ledge I almost get hit with a tendril. I throw a few grenades I have off the ledge and after they all blow up, I slowly approach the ledge and look down to see a mess of burnt flesh, body parts, faces, and mouths. It’s definitely the same atrocity as before, but it’s smaller now and looks as if it cut off part of itself. Maybe it knew to do that so it could survive. There’s some kind of heart or core in the center of the mess that has veins connecting it together. I shoot at it and nothing happens. Even my last couple grenades don’t do anything.
Suddenly, I hear my helicopter and before I know it, it’s landing on the roof. When I look back down, I see that the atrocity is regenerating. My fire bullets are probably the only good weapon I can use. I then see a police car driving away. She finally gets out, but the atrocity gets up and runs with its many legs after Clarrisa. My normal bullets don’t do anything on the charred legs and body, and it’s already too far for my pistol shots to hit it. Damn it!
“Get in the chopper already!” I hear someone from the helicopter say.
I can’t do anything to help her now. Unless…
I get into the helicopter and tell the pilot, “Chase after that police car! That officer needs help!”
“Okay, but we aren’t stopping. Use the turret if you really want to do some real damage.”
I quickly get to the turret and unload whatever I can as we fly over Clarrisa, but I can only land so many shots that slow the atrocity down by a little. If only I had used my fire bullets on the core when I had the shot, then she wouldn’t have had any trouble escaping. It sounds like she’s taking sharp turns as she tries to dodge the atrocity. It’s on her tail. Come on Clarrisa…
“You still have half the cure, right?” the pilot asks.
“I got it.”
“It’s amazing that you survived. I heard that it was Hell on earth down there.”
“It was. I got out by the skin of my teeth thanks to a group of cops.”
“Is that who was in that car?”
“Yeah. There’s only one of them that survived.”
“That’s tough. They’re going to have a slim chance of survival especially with what’s coming next.”
“What do you mean?”
“They didn’t tell you? Here, use this comm device to ask them.”
The pilot gives me a communication device and I say into it, “This is Retto. I’m aboard the helicopter a-”
“We’re so glad you escaped, Mr. Retto. We knew we could rely on you. You’re just in time as well.”
“In time for what?”
“We were going to tell you, but we thought you already had so much rushing you that we thought it was better not to tell you about the nuke coming in.”
“Nuke?!”
“That’s the only way to truly clean the city. Any other way would just risk another outbreak.”
“Delay it! I rescued an officer who is trying to avoid an abomination of flesh while trying to escape.”
“Then we can only pray and hope that the officer escapes. We cannot call off the nuke especially since we’ve already pulled so many strings to get it deployed in the first place.”
I hit the side of the helicopter.
“Damn it! I should’ve brought her with me. If you only let me bring her with me-”
“Then you would’ve been in greater danger. We don’t believe in the exchange of lives, but you must think about the lives that will be saved with what you have. Don’t worry about the woman. If you think she is capable, she will escape.”
“Tch.”
“We will be seeing you soon with your reward, Mr. Retto, and don’t look directly into the explosion of the nuke, otherwise, you’ll be blinded.”
“Thanks for the tip.”
About thirty seconds pass before the town is nuked. I look at the aftermath and see that everything around the town is destroyed too. I guess the explosion had to be massive in order to destroy any infected creatures that might’ve wandered out of the town. Clarrisa is a smart girl, but I don’t know if she made it. If she did die…I don’t know. I can’t let myself worry about it now.
In the following days, my daughter is cured and is now perfectly healthy along with millions of other people. Even though I didn’t help in making the cure, my name is included with the others who did make it, which has given me some fame in the industry and government. I’m also set for life with the amount of money that Curaga has given me along with free healthcare, which is a nice bonus, however, I can’t get the events I went through out of my head.
My daughter and I now live in a nice small house for the two of us filled with all the things she wants. Pictures of my family, accomplishments, and all her toys and dolls in shelves for everyone to see. I don’t care for the look of the house, but I put my foot down when she suggests things such as putting up purple, red, and pink curtains all over the house to make it look fancier. My daughter goes to a special school to catch up on what she missed, and she’s doing well. I didn’t expect anything less from my daughter.
Speaking about daughters, Clarrisa is still on my mind. My daughter keeps reminding me of her because she wants to be an officer like me and acts tough and asks questions like how Clarrisa did. It may just be me being too hard on myself, but I could’ve saved more people if I actually used my fire bullets. I didn’t because I was afraid of exposing myself and risking my daughter’s life. Sure, the lives of millions of others were at stake, but in my mind, if I can’t save a single life, then I can’t save anyone. I’ve talked to psychiatrists at Curaga and they’ve told me to be easier on myself and the priests I see tell me the same. I guess I should just let it go, but I feel like I’m turning my back on my calling since I do nothing nowadays besides reading theology and philosophy books, instead of looking for guard jobs or at least trying to get back into law enforcement.
On one normal day, I get a knock at the door. A man dressed in a casual suit greets me and says, “We at Curaga have uses for your skills again if you wish to aid in the saving of more lives. What do you say, Mr. Retto?”
We talk about the pay and who will take care of my daughter then I say, “I accept, but please, call me Mr. Morte.”

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment