Monday, September 16, 2024

Through Hell to Heaven: Chapter 1 – Further Humbling


Chapter 1 – Further Humbling

I’ve been traveling on the oceans for weeks, and it looks like I’m no closer to my goal. I’m sick of seeing nothing but the sea around me and tired of eating fish. What makes me even sicker is looking at my reflection in the water. Seeing my damaged armor and beige, scarred skin that’s a reminder of my failure to defeat my ex-wife, Priscilla, is enough to make me want to throw up. My want for revenge is the only thing pushing me forward and keeping me from killing myself with the makeshift axe I’ve made out of the large fish I’ve eaten.

Even now, I can hear Priscilla laughing at my pathetic state in my mind. If she couldn’t use magic that affected my perception of reality, then she’d be dead or forced to bear my children to make up for all the ones she killed. This Pope that I’m traveling to talk to better give me the help I need, but then again, it wouldn’t surprise me if his God led me out here to torture me and make me starve to death or die of dehydration.

“Don’t lose hope. You’ll come to do great things if you keep going,” the God of the Catholics says.

This monstrance I’ve been carrying around contains the God of the Catholics in the form of a single piece of bread with a cross on it. The thing itself is indestructible and I can’t manage to get rid of it as every time I throw it in the sea, it comes back and hits me in the face. I’ve been able to converse with him and one of the few able to do so since not everyone can hear the voice of this annoying God.

“I don’t want to hear anything from you and I told you not to read my thoughts,” I say. “Besides, I’ve heard you telling me to kill myself in my dreams.”

“You know those were demons pretending to be me. I am the only God and the true Christ for my one, holy, Church.”

Great. As if I’d needed to be bothered by old enemies. I’ve conquered Christian kingdoms who claimed to follow the true Christ and conquered them all. No Christ or other god or goddess has managed to stand up to me without eventually falling or giving me their power, but the Christ of the Catholics is different. What makes this Jesus different than the others still alludes me, besides the fact that this one is more annoying than the others and the only one I haven’t been able to break. I might as well just call this God, the only God because he’s given me the most trouble and won’t stop calling himself the only God. I guess I can give him that since I wouldn’t be able to break free from Priscilla’s spell without his help.

“You’d have less difficulty making it through this journey if you’d listen to me,” God says.

“I listen here and there. It’s how I was able to get control of this frigate ship,” I say.

“You’d also find it easier to steer and use if you didn’t kill everyone on it.”

“I have a bloodlust to satiate. I also don’t want to hear you comment on what I did to the women of the ship. That was another need that had to be filled.”

“And yet, you are not satisfied nor will you ever be if you seek to satiate your hunger for blood and sex.”

“Says you. I was at least satisfied during the time it happened and the happiness I felt at offending you lasted up until now.”

“Now, you have no one to help you steer this ship, you’ve run out of food and water, and your hunger pangs for your lusts are still clawing at your soul.”

“You’re going to have to deal with that part of me just as I do and get over the fact that I’m never letting go of those vices.”

Something rocks the boat and stirs the ocean around me. Looking over the deck, I see what looks to be a large whale that’s five times the size of this boat swimming underneath. It descends further under the sea far away from my sight before rapidly coming back up and splitting the boat in half.

“You’re to blame for this, aren’t you?!” I say to God.

Taking my makeshift axe, I wait for the whale to turn around and get closer. As it turns around, it reveals the beak of a bird and a large red and black eye within its mouth with tendrils coming out of it. More tendrils also come out of the whale’s eye and parts of its body as it approaches me at high speeds. I’ve heard of sea monsters like this existing, but never thought I would ever see one. This will be a great meal and make a fine tale to tell the people back home about once I kill it! Leaping at the monster, my axe barely manages to make a dent in its skin as I struggle to climb up it while the rest of the ship is destroyed around me by its charge.

Eventually, I slip and fall into the ocean before managing to make it to one of the eyes. I get onto one of the pieces of the ship that barely has enough room for me to lay on it, stand up, and yell at the monster to come back and face me, however, it only swims away and then plunges into the depths of the sea. Great, now I’m worse off than I was previously with the only good thing being that this piece of wood is easier to steer and move than the ship I was on.

“Do not worry too much. Soon, you’ll reach civilization on the sea,” God says.

“I don’t want to hear anything you have to say right now,” I say while rowing with a plank of wood and heading in the direction God told me to go.

Hours pass until I realize that I’ve been rowing since the afternoon. It’s nighttime now so I decide to rest as best I can on this wobbly piece of wood. I don’t expect I’ll fall asleep because of how frustrated I am and uncomfortable laying on the wood, but I do, and when I wake up, I see what looks to be large cathedrals and buildings ahead of me in the morning mist. Rowing towards it, I see that the cathedrals and buildings are on some sort of large, damaged boat that looks like something from mankind’s futuristic past. So, this is one of those floating cities of the Atlantic Ocean I’ve heard so much about? That also must mean that the people I see on the edge are the fishmen who inhabit it.

Two fishmen watch me float towards them, one is a female with purple hair and orange eyes while the other is a bald male who has green eyes and is holding a spiky spear and shield with a cross design on it. Both of them have blue-colored skin with darker blue areas on their body that appear rough and scaly and have gills on the face and fins of a fish on their head. The female seems calm with a smile on her face while the male seems cautious even though he has a smirk on his face.

“Hello, my name is Lucy!” the female says. “Who are you and would you like us to help you?”

I can hear God’s voice in the woman’s as if the two are one and the same.

“He obviously needs help. Look at him,” the male says who has the same voice of God in his.

“I’m just being courteous by asking, Gerardus. Oh, you have a monstrance with you! Are you a traveling priest or penitent paladin?”

“Tch, I’m neither,” I say.

The debris I’m on makes it to the two, allowing me to crawl onto their floating city and stand up. In my head, I debate beating the two to death with the debris I was on or using Gerardus’ weapons against him.

“Do not harm these faithful servants of mine. They will be on your side and will help you,” God says.

“Now I really want to kill them because you said that,” I say aloud.

Gerardus raises his shield a bit and then says, “What do you mean and who are you talking to?”

“Haha! It’s sad really that a God’s faithful can’t hear the voice of the one they worship while someone like me can.”

“What are you talking about? Speak common sense.”

“Wait!” a man says in the distance as he rushes towards us.

This fishman is dressed in the grey and red robes of a priest and is wearing black metal armor. His eyes are black and grey, he seems no older than my father and has the voice of God in his just like these two.

“Stand back, Fr. Titus. This is a strange man,” Gerardus says.

“I have heard God speak to me of him in my dreams. He’s Leif, a Nephilim beastman chief from the Americas, and a dangerously violent man,” Fr. Titus says.

“Then why are you telling us to stand back?”

“Because I can hear the voice of God, like him, and guide him towards the correct path.”

“This man can truly hear the voice of God?”

Approaching me with caution and bravery, Fr. Titus stands up to me with his back straight and looks me dead in the eyes.

“He can and God has great plans for him despite the atrocities he’s committed,” Fr. Titus continues. “Leif, please allow God to help you. Here, you will gain the strength and perspective on your life that you need to defeat Priscilla and save the world from her devious curse.”

“I don’t plan on staying here long. Your God told me to see your Pope.”

“This is an important step you must make to reach my faithful servant and gain what you need to convince him to lend him his aid,” God says.

“See? God agrees with me.”

“As if his approval means that much to me.”

“It will soon.”

“Stop it. Both of you. Who is Priscilla and what are you both talking about?” Gerardus asks.

“I’m sorry for the confusion, Gerardus. I will explain everything along the way. Please, follow me, Leif, and allow me to show you why God brought you to us,” Fr. Titus says.

“Tch. As if I have a better choice,” I say as I reluctantly follow the priest and the other two fishmen into their floating city.

No comments:

Post a Comment