Saturday, September 7, 2024

The Humbling of the Chief of Sinners: Chapter 4 – The Only Way into a Prideful Heart

Chapter 4 – The Only Way into a Prideful Heart

All our allies, both reluctant and true, have gathered on all sides of a capital city that Priscilla has chosen to be her home. We’ve communicated our plans to one another through conjured messenger birds and have agreed that a pincer attack is the best course of action. From there, we go straight for her and end her spell once and for all. Leading the battle is none other than me because of the monstrance I have and its ability to dispel Priscilla’s magic, and I wouldn’t want it any other way. Most of the people in the capital are sympathetic to Priscilla’s cause so I don’t have to hold back from slaughtering them all.

When the charge starts, we are met by a small army that defends the walls from the outside. This is no trouble for us, especially since we are supported by siege weapons, archers, and mages who take care of the guards on the walls and lessen their numbers before we reach them. Once we get our siege weapons to the gates, we use them to break it open and start the slaughter within the city, however, before my axe touches my next foe, everyone and everything disappears in a flash of light as Priscilla’s spell affects me and puts me in a void of dull gold.

“It’s over, Priscilla. Your forces are no match for us and we are in your city’s walls. Surrender now and I will make our time together more pleasure than pain,” I say.

Priscilla laughs while appearing from thin air and then says, “Did you really think I would allow those loyal to me to die so easily? No, you’re still in your camps getting ready for the fight while my forces remain alive and my walls are untouched. I just thought I would be nice and make you seem like you had a chance against me.”

Holding out the monstrance, I say, “That’s what you think.”

“Ha! Do you think God will allow you to use his power as if he’s a mere tool to be used? I don’t think he will.”

“He wants you stopped so I don’t see why he wouldn’t.”

A blast of light comes from the monstrance while Priscilla tries blasting it away with light magic of her own. In the struggle, the light of the monstrance overpowers Priscilla and evaporates her into nothing. The area around us changes into an empty throne room in a castle. Before me are the unconscious bodies of Priscilla’s followers and a pile of ash that is presumably her. I throw aside the monstrance as if it were common trash.

“Useless piece of junk,” I say while sitting on the throne. “Nevertheless, there are plenty more women out there to birth my heirs. In fact, there are women here I can start with.”

Before I can take off my armor and clothes, the scene around me changes back to a void of dull gold.

Priscilla laughs at me again, appears out of the void, and says, “I just wanted to mess with you one last time before my final victory over you. I actually wanted it to go on for longer so you could be more disappointed to learn it was all fake, but I couldn’t hold my laughter back any longer.”

I check for the monstrance and see that it’s disappeared and not even in the place where I dropped it.

“Don’t worry about the monstrance,” Priscilla continues. “I got rid of it so it won’t be a concern for me anymore. I don’t know what kind of magic you used through it to dispel my magic, but it doesn’t matter anymore. All that matters to me is bringing peace to the world and bringing my dreams to life. Evander was kind in that he allowed everyone to live in peace, however, I am not so kind and naïve. Some people like you don’t deserve peace and happiness. Instead, I’ll give you what you deserve.”

I feel my body, face, and limbs get cut and bludgeoned by invisible objects that destroy my helmet and armor. After, I see and feel myself being violently violated by women, men, and beasts of all kinds seemingly at the same time. This is the same kind of torture I put Priscilla through and I am incapable of breaking free from it while I hear her unending laughter in the background. I truly am defeated and there’s no way out of this. At least none that I can see.

The torture comes to an end after an undeterminable amount of time and I see my father fighting Priscilla. I am lying on the floor of a throne room while Priscilla’s servants make sure I am lying down while watching the fight. My father’s axes clash with Priscilla’s sword and shield while she uses magic to throw him off. On my father’s hip, I see the monstrance I once had.

“Leif!” my father says while turning his head to look at me and trying to fight at the same time. “I have to admit. I am a follower of the God of the Catholics and so was your mother. He came to us in our dreams and converted us from there. It’s why I trust Him so much and why I’ve been trying to get you to do the same. I’m sorry that I wasn’t forward about this before and for not being a better father.”

“If you truly worship God, then go back to sleep. I’ll give you a good dream this time if you do,” Priscilla says.

Ignoring what Priscilla said, my father continues, “I know what His purpose is for you now, and resign myself to His will. Please do as He says so I can see you in Heaven.”

My father throws me the monstrance that I catch just as Priscilla cuts his legs and then his head off. I am now in a black-and-gold void by myself and unrestrained. So, I’ve been reduced to this as my only choice to save my life?

“I’ve always been your only choice to save your life and your soul,” the God of the Catholics says.

Gritting my teeth, I say, “Fine then. Let’s do things your way.”

The void around me dispels and I find myself on a boat outside the capital city.

“Sail to the Vatican and inform the Pope of what is happening here. He’ll only get unconfirmed reports and rumors otherwise and won’t trust them since he personally knows Priscilla and thinks the best of her.”

“Okay,” I say as I ready the boat and then start sailing into the sea. “How am I supposed to know where to go without a map? I hardly even know how to sail a boat.”

“I will be your guide and your helping hand.”

“I hope you’re a good one and that my father was right to place his trust in you. I’ll get revenge on Priscilla. I swear it!”

“You’ll get your justice, not revenge.”

“Whatever. She’ll pay for the humiliating defeat that she gave to me.”

“It wasn’t a defeat.”

“How so?”

“Through your defeat, I have gained one of the most valuable treasures of all, a place in your heart, and soon, I will have all of it. You’ll come to see this as a victory through defeat in time.”

“Tch. If you say so.”

 

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment