Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Government-Sanctioned Mafia: Chapter 2 – Digging Beyond the Bottom of the Barrel

Chapter 2 – Digging Beyond the Bottom of the Barrel

A good thing about being an agent for the Secret Intelligence Bureau is that I can choose who I work with on an assignment and which assignments I take on. For the most part, the Bureau lets us agents decide what we do and only asks us to work with certain people or on certain assignments when the need arises. Since Bezalel, Garnet, and I discovered this sex trafficking ring, we have to see it through to the end, and because of our particular skills, we can simply work with one another like we usually do without having to have anyone else help us on the aspects of the investigation we choose to tackle. Given the list of targets and places we can go, Bezalel and I chose to go to a child talent agency that’s done multiple collaborations with the streamers who owned the apartment complex where this all started.

Gathered around Garnet’s office, I ask her, “What do you have on this child talent agency?”

“I’ve found that most parents who use their services are from poor or middle-class backgrounds, and that every child who enters the agency either gets a job in entertainment or leaves it without a complaint. What’s weird is that some of the kids who did complain about how they were treated either retracted their complaint or disappeared,” Garnet explains.

“That should’ve been investigated before this all started,” Bezalel says.

“They were, but nothing ever came of the investigations. No detective got beyond the surface level or looked deeper into the agency.”

“Maybe they were bought out.”

“Maybe, but they also never got permission to be able to get into the agency’s deeper systems.”

“We could be dealing with an internal issue as well.”

“That’s something else to look into. For now, let’s head to their recruitment center and see what we can find,” I say.

“I want to work in the field today,” Garnet says.

“Why’s that? You have better access to information here.”

“Given the fact that this sex trafficking ring has now been exposed to the public, they’re more likely to start erasing information from their servers and devices. If I’m there in the field, I can use my personal laptop to stop them from doing so and prevent them from wiping their systems.”

“I see your point. You can come then.”

“This is going to be interesting since you’ve only worked with us in the field to stretch your legs from being in the office every day. How’s your shooting?” Bezalel asks.

“I practice a few times every week and go to the gym every day. You won’t have to look after me if a fight starts.”

“I like it. Get your stuff and let’s head out. I want to personally beat these child traffickers into the dirt.”

Garnet goes to the lockers to change and get her stuff, and when she comes out, she isn’t wearing her usual green sweater, red dress shirt, flower bow, red shirt, black stockings, and red heels. Instead, she wears a green and red suit jacket, black dress pants, and black combat boots, but she’s kept her red and gold agent glasses on that she usually wears. We take an SIB agent car to the child talent agency office, park a couple of blocks away so they don’t immediately see us coming, and walk into the building. Despite the place being a popular place to send kids, it’s oddly dirty and quiet at the same time, with seemingly no one around. Garnet, Bezalel, and I walk around looking for someone until a fragile-looking woman walks out wearing a name tag that says Sharon, casual pants and shoes, and a shirt that has the child talent agency’s name on it.

Approaching her, I show her my badge and say, “Hello, miss. I’m SIB agent Draco Jung, and these are my fellow agents. We’re here to investigate your connection to the streamers who were recently arrested.”

“Sir, we didn’t know what they were up to outside of our collaborations. They just had their events here, recommended our services, and that’s that,” Sharon says.

“That may be true. Please stay here while we investigate the rest of the building. Where is everyone?”

“They’re off today. Given the drama happening today, everyone associated with the arrested streamers has been harassed, so my boss has given most people off. Today it’s just a few other workers and me taking care of the building and some office work.”

“Hmm. Okay.”

As the three of us walk around, looking through the rooms, it really looks like no one is here, so then we turn our attention to the back. Bezalel sees someone duck into a hallway and calls out to ask a question. Before he reaches them, something catches his attention in a room ahead of it, and he ducks down and takes cover behind a wall as shots ring out from it. I turn around just in time to see Sharon pull a small pistol out of a nearby drawer, so I tackle her, cuff her, and tell her to stay in place before joining Bezalel and Garnet in the gunfight.

“We can’t waste our time fighting these guys! Put your earplugs in!” Garnet says before pulling out her phone and activating a special function.

I manage to put my earplugs in just as her phone makes a high-pitched noise that makes the shooters hold their ears in pain and drop their guns. Using non-lethal rounds, we knock out the shooters and quickly run through the rest of the building, encountering more armed men and staff. I throw a flashbang into a particularly crowded room, and we put down everyone in the room. The door leading into the next room is locked, but as I’m about to lockpick it, Garnet tells me to move aside. She places a small charge on the door handle and blows it open.

Inside the office room is a colorfully dressed man in a suit, tie, and dress pants with all happy faces on them. Something is burning in the trash next to him, and he holds up a pistol at us.

“You won’t take me in alive! I won’t let you!” the man says before putting the gun to his head.

Before he can pull the trigger, I tackle the man to the ground and knock him out by hitting him in the head with my pistol. Garnet rushes over to the man’s laptop, connects her phone to it, and quickly types away at it.

“Can you save whatever is on there?” Bezalel says.

“I’m on it! He was trying to erase everything on the company’s internal databases! Ugh! Some of it is already gone!” Garnet says.

“Save what you can then!” I say.

“I am! Alright, I got what I can.”

Garnet disconnects her phone from her computer, and it blows up.

“The guy had a self-destruct function on his computer? Next you’re going to tell me that the whole building is going to explode,” Bezalel says.

“Call the cops to arrest everyone here and secure everything else they can,” I say.

While we’re waiting for the cops, the three of us wait at the entrance where we left Sharon, who thankfully is still on the ground.

Suddenly she blurts out, “I did it because I needed the money!”

“What are you talking about?” I ask.

“I gave my kid to this talent agency because I didn’t want to be poor anymore. I wanted to live like the rich people in entertainment and business in the Golden State that they make documentaries, shows, and movies about.”

“What did your kid want?”

“I taught them to want what I wanted, and what’s wrong with that? A parent is supposed to teach their child to care for their parents.”

“Did you know what they were putting your kid through? Did you know about the sex trafficking ring that this place was associated with?” Bezalel says.

“My kid told me about it, but I said that it’s the price of fame and fortune, and I don’t regret a thing.”

“Why tell us this? Do you think you’ll get sympathy or a lighter sentence for your crimes?” Garnet asks.

“I did what I had to do to get a better life for my family. You can’t judge me for that!”

Bezalel slams Sharon’s head against the floor, knocking her out.

“Bezalel! You can’t do that!” I say.

“Piece of shit!” Bezalel says. “That’s what she is! She doesn’t have the honor of even being considered a mother! She’s the lowest of the low!”

“If she remembers that you did that, she could get a lighter sentence, and you in trouble,” Garnet says.

“Whatever. I feel better after giving her what she deserved. I need some air.”

The cops come, arrest everyone associated with the child talent agency, and secure the area. While they’re doing that, the three of us go back to the SIB office and wait for Garnet to connect the information we got to get a new lead for the case.

As we wait, Bezalel says, “That was really quick thinking, tackling that creep before he shot himself, Draco.”

“I got it during my time as a cop, saving suicidal people. Being too late or not reacting fast enough imprints on you the reaction to act first so that you don’t see someone take their own life again,” I say. “You reacted pretty fast to being shot at.”

“Ah. It’s much the same for me. Getting shot and blown up during the war gives you the instinct to recognize the familiar danger. You got any special reactions that you got on the job, Garnet?”

“I can recognize patterns and make logical leaps with the right information,” Garnet says. “I may not have experience fighting people as you boys do, but my studies and work on many investigations help me solve the puzzles we’re given.”

“Oh, that’s right. You know a lot of higher-ups and given one of those expensive educations, right?” Bezalel asks.

“Yes. Doesn’t mean that I got a privileged start to my job, though. I still had to work hard to get to where I am. Speaking of my skills, I’ve found multiple connections between the many suspects we’ve arrested and people in entertainment. This computer has a lot of dirt on them, with pictures of celebrities and politicians with children and sex slaves.”

“Don’t show them to me, or I may break their necks with my robotic hand.”

“I wouldn’t blame you if you did. I’m putting these pictures and videos through a program to make sure they aren’t fake. It looks like these people took in these child actors for a guaranteed role or job in entertainment, on the screen or behind it, as long as they didn’t complain about the abuse, and people in entertainment have criminal contacts who don’t care about killing children or young people, in case they want to get rid of them.”

“Is there enough in there to put these people away?” I ask.

“Yes, there is, now that the program has confirmed that everything in here is real. The last piece we need is just finding what was deleted. The files on this computer are placed under different tiers of importance, and the deletion program deletes the most important first.”

“So, should we wait to find what the other investigators find to get our missing information?”

“There may be no need. I’ve discovered that one of the docks is a place where they import and make bids on sex slaves. If we go there and discover the location of this slave marketplace, we may find what we need.”

“Let’s hurry then, if that’s where people are being kept. Arrange a raid with the local police and agents.”

“On it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment