Tuesday, September 15, 2026

The Arms of Order: Chapter 4 – Order and Orderly Revolution

Chapter 4 – Order and Orderly Revolution

The criminals who attacked the Mediterranean festival who are taken alive are interrogated; the results reveal that some are part of the vigilante syndicate, For the People, and some are vigilantes from other cities who came to our city to avenge them. They tell us that their motives are to punish the criminals who are corrupting the government with their agenda and to punish the servants of the same government. They thought that they could change the country for the better, in their view, by being a syndicate like the men of honor, and that they’re justified because they think that every group uses violence and the sympathizers in the city’s businesses and government to influence laws and how the public views them. This syndicate thinks they’re the real good guys, but as far as the public is concerned, they’re just self-absorbed criminals who are only out for themselves, and not the greater good of the country. Despite not all of them giving up the location of their allies, we get enough information from them and Astorre’s contacts to find the last in their group.

With the information gathered by Astorre’s men of honor and concerned citizens and their personal help, the police go after the remainder of the vigilante group. Some of them shoot themselves or are shot dead in a vain attempt to escape jail. Others try to run on foot and are caught by police, some with the aid of civilians and Astorre’s friends and contacts. The final batch of criminals join up and try to escape the city together. In pursuit, my squad and I get in police pursuit cars and chase them down.

“Remember to take them out only when the road is clear. The city has enough damage it needs to take care of,” Kurtis says on the radio that we use to communicate between cars.

Max, Cole, and I acknowledge what Kurtis said, though it’s a bit hard to do, as he said, when the vigilantes are shooting at us.

“Screw it. I’m heading in!” Cole says.

Driving ahead of us, Cole takes the brunt of the incoming gunfire as he races to take out one of the fleeing vehicles and manages to do so, forcing the vehicles he targets to crash into the side of a building.

“Good job, Cole,” Kurtis says before reporting where the crashed vehicle is.

“I’m not going to let him take all the glory,” Max says.

Max drives ahead of us and deploys his grappler to force another fleeing vehicle to slow down to a halt. In the rearview mirror, I see other police pursuit cars surround the car Max stopped, and officers step out to help arrest everyone inside.

“We got these guys! I’ll catch up with you guys later,” Max says.

The chase takes us to a highway where I see an opportunity and take it. I speed up and hit one of the fleeing cars that spins into another one of the fleeing cars, and both start to lose control until they roll around and crash.

“Great work, Xander! Now, I have to step up myself,” Kurtis says.

We chase the remaining cars out of the city and into the nearby farms, where Kurtis takes out the remaining cars by ramming one into another, just like I did, and then crashing into the last one and forcing it to crash into the fields with the others.

“That’s how it’s done, boys!” Kurtis says before getting out of his car.

Max catches up to us, and my squad surrounds the criminals. We draw our pistols and yell at them to come out with their hands up. At first, they come out shooting, but after we kill a few of them, they drop their guns and raise their arms. Before we can arrest them, another two cars crash into the field, with two fancy sports cars behind them, and who else but Astorre and his people. They hold up the criminals they crashed into on their side and take notice of us.

“Good morning, Sergeant. It’s a good day to hunt, isn’t it?” Astorre says.

“It is, and we’ve just caught some fresh prey,” Kurtis says.

One of the criminals says, “This is why we’re vigilantes, and you people think we’re in the wrong for what we do! I’ll bring this up in court.”

“They already know.”

“Should they even be given the chance to speak, Sergeant? This should be the last of them.”

“You can’t shoot us! We’re surrendering!”

“Hmm. You did flee arrest and try to shoot us after fleeing…”

A few seconds of silence pass until the criminals try to pick up their guns, forcing us to shoot them. Astorre and his people do the same to the people they forced to crash.

“If anyone asks, I would’ve spared them if they didn’t try to shoot us again,” Kurtis says.

“Mercy is given to those who honestly ask for it. How about I treat us all out for dinner?” Astorre says.

“I’ll be the one treating everyone.”

“That will not be necessary. You won’t even see a check.”

“Then I’ll leave a very generous tip.”

It seems like Kurtis and Astorre are really starting to get along now, as if they’ve been lifelong friends this entire time. My squad and I call in an EMT for the dead criminals and quickly write our report before heading to dinner at Astorre’s restaurant. On the many TVs in the restaurant that are usually playing Mediterranean romance and crime movies is the news that talks about what happened today. Everyone involved with the For the People vigilante group is arrested or has been killed in the joint effort between police and law-abiding vigilantes, which includes members of business, the government, and even schools, hospitals, charities, and the police force. The mayor thanks everyone involved in the final destruction of the notorious vigilante group and goes on to speak about the unity and self-sacrifice of the city’s people being its greatest strength and that it’ll continue to be an example of what the best this country can be.

While we’re all talking with one another, I hear Astorre say to Kurtis, “Do you think the mayor means what he says?”

“Eh. Who knows? He’s just saying what the people want to hear to appease them. It’s not like what he says affects how I do my job,” Kurtis responds.

“Here I thought the veteran, by-the-book officer would care more about those above him in the chain of command.”

“I do respect his office, and as far as I know, he’s a good mayor, but I don’t care what happens in local or national politics since little to nothing happens in it. The people with the most power and influence do what they want, while the people under them just go about their daily business as long as none of it bothers them.”

“Things did change in this country when Vincenzo Campione got elected. Look at what happened today because of the new laws he enacted.”

“Ah, you’re just happy with him because he’s one of your guys.”

“Because he’s a Catholic Mediterranean with traditional values?”

“You know what I mean. I need a break from all this.”

“You going on vacation soon to anyplace special?”

“The boys and I are taking our families to the Sunshine State.”

“Will you be going to the casinos there?”

“Maybe. Why?”

“If you do, tell the people there to give me a call, and I can get you a special deal on chips or a hotel room.”

“What? Does your ‘family’ own those?”

“Heh. We have our connections.”

Kurtis and Astorre laugh and joke about things as we all enjoy our dinner. I can’t help but silently thank God for the peace between the men of honor and us because without our joint effort, this city might not have been saved from our mutual enemy. Speaking of which, some masked men burst into the restaurant with guns, yelling at people to give them their money and valuables.

“Tch. There’s no rest for the wicked,” Kurtis says.

“Looks like that vacation might have to wait a bit,” Astorre says.

“We’ll go on it after we give these scum a beating.”

“You’re damn right about that.”

“Hey, that’s my line.”

My squad and I, along with Astorre and his men, draw our pistols and fight the masked criminals, bringing them down, and then call for help to take them away before going back to eating and talking to one another as if nothing had happened. I guess the mayor was right in that our unity is our greatest strength.

“To unity and justice,” I say aloud with my glass raised.

Everyone at the table raises a glass to toast, all the while thanking God for His many blessings, including our newfound friendship, a bond that keeps peace and order in our city.

 

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment