

Chapter
1 – The Fate of Traitors
Four thieves in expensive suits and
clown masks enter a bank and hold it up with high-powered silenced rifles. They
shoot the guards, and then two of the thieves keep the civilians in one room,
while the other two set up thermite to blow open the vault door. After getting
through the door, the four thieves bag up as much cash as possible. The cops
arrive just as they are exiting the vault. To push through the cops, the
thieves use their underbarrel grenade launchers and flamethrowers to an exit.
The thieves exit the bank and run
through the maze alleys of the city until we come out from the shadows and
surround them at gunpoint. They’re surprised to see my three friends and me,
who are dressed up and wearing masks like them, except we all look unique from
one another. I have a plain black suit and tie with a clown mask that has the
United Chimaera States flag on it; Kelly McGhee has a red tie and pink
ringmaster-like suit, black skirt, and red boots, and has a clown mask with red
pigtails; Al Jarrett wears a frilly butler-type suit with a creepy black mask
with black strips near his eyes and mouth, and Suzuki Koyama wears a loose
black suit with a visible thorny golden cross and a tiger mask with a revolver
in its mouth. Looking at us, the thieves don’t immediately shoot at us, and
instead, drop their bags of cash and slightly lower their weapons.
One of them asks, “Who are you?”
“Coworkers of the same
organization,” I say.
“Yeah? Are we supposed to hand the
bags to you, or do you have a way out for us? We need to act quick because the
cops are coming. I thought groups weren’t supposed to be interfering with one
another.”
“They are, unless you’re higher in
rank, like we are,” Al says.
“I thought there was also a rule
about not killing cops and keeping damage to a minimum. I’m also sure you’re
not supposed to skim any money and merely complete the objective,” Kelly says.
“You, men, have caused more death
and destruction than was called for,” Al says.
“Didn’t you read the rules? This
dishonorable behavior of yours will result in a cut in your pay, at the very
least,” Suzuki says.
“Don’t trust what these guys are
saying,” one of the thieves says. “We didn’t choose to have any help with this
job.”
“Yeah, but the job description did
say to go down this alley to escape and drop off the goods,” another thief
says.
“Who cares about the rules?”
another thief says. “We’re thieves, criminals, murderers! We do what we want
because we won’t let others tell us what to do.”
I shoot the outspoken thief in the
face with my long pistol that’s loaded with rifle rounds, killing him.
“Act like that idiot, and you’ll
suffer the same fate. Our organization is one of honor, loyalty, and respect.
If you thought it was a den of scum and villainy, then you should’ve joined
another group,” I say.
“Okay, okay! We’ll do better next
time!” one thief says as he puts down his rifle and holds up his hands.
“Don’t do that! They’re going to
kill us anyway!” another thief says.
“Idiot, if we wanted to do that,
you would’ve been dead already,” Kelly says.
“This is your chance at redemption.
Lay down your weapons and give yourselves up to the cops,” Suzuki says.
“What?! We’ll be sent to jail for
life!”
“We’ll make sure you receive a
lighter sentence if you cooperate and don’t rat on the organization,” Al says.
“Make your choice. Life or death,”
I say.
After a few seconds, the other two
thieves raise their guns, forcing us to kill them, while one of the thieves
leaves his gun on the floor.
“There are always more dumbasses in
the world than smart people,” Kelly says.
“You made the right choice.
Remember what we said, and you won’t spend the rest of your life in jail,” I
say as my friends and I retreat into the shadows.
We stick around to make sure the
thief turns himself in to the police before leaving the area and going to a
nearby parking lot where a SWAT truck is parked with two officers guarding it.
“How come they told us to park
around here with a truck full of gear and outfits?” one of the officers asks.
“What? You don’t know?” the other
officer asks.
“Why would I know?”
“Because I asked and they told me
to ask you if I was curious.”
“They told me the same thing, but
also said it wasn’t important.”
Before the officers can catch on to
what’s happening, the four of us sneak up on them, knock them out, and put on
the police gear, helmets, and masks to cover our identity.
I grab the radio, tune it to the
frequency I was told, and say, “The boys are taking a name on the job.”
“Roger, clown boy. We’ll send some
people there to get them up. Thank you for sparing them. You really are people
of your word,” a distorted voice says.
Suzuki gets in the driver’s seat,
while Kelly, Al, and I sit in the back. As Suzuki drives us to the site of our
true job, I go over the plans and purpose of this job.
“Remember the faces we need to see
and the faces of those we need to eliminate. They should be in their holding
cells when we get there. As for the police chief, he should be on his break
soon, so he should be taking a nap in his office,” I say.
“I remember the plan and have the
layout of the station committed to memory. I’ll be backing you up while Al and
Kelly go for the cameras and secondary objectives,” Suzuki says.
“I also have plan B in mind just in
case things get fun,” Kelly says.
“Hopefully it won’t come to that,
and it’ll all go smoothly. We have to be quick about getting to the cameras,
eliminating our targets, and taking what we need before the police catch on to
our presence,” Al says.
“What does it mean by getting
anything strange off the chief of police?” Kelly asks.
“When we get there, we’ll find out.
It’s a secondary objective, so it doesn’t matter as much,” I say.
“It’s a secondary objective that
pays a lot, but sure.”
Driving to the police station’s
parking lot, Suzuki shows his badge to a man at a security office, who lets us
through. He parks in the center of the lot, and Suzuki and I go our separate
ways with Al and Kelly. With the badges and security cards we were given, it’s
easy for Suzuki and me to move through the police station with ease. No one
bats an eye at us, especially with one of the favors we called in being a party
that has most of the office workers and officers in the break room and the
crime in the city controlled, so that most of the officers out there are on
traffic duty. No expense was spared to get us into the police station to
accomplish this job, given its importance.
Suzuki and I stand outside the
holding cells, and I call over to Kelly using our personal radios and her
codename. “Rosebud. How goes handling the paparazzi?”
“They’re about to have some
technical difficulties in a second. There we go. You’re clear from their prying
eyes, Cowboy,” Kelly says, using my codename as well.
Given the nature of our work, we
need codenames to not expose our true identities. Suzuki and I go into the
holding cells and to the particular ones that hold our targets, four thieves
who are contacts in the police department, who say they’re going to expose our
organization. Suzuki and I put silencers on our pistols and switch their
non-lethal rounds with lethal rounds. Because of our help within the station, the
only cell with prisoners in it is the one we need, so that no other prisoner
snitches on what is happening.
“I figured something was up when I
noticed we were the only ones here,” the traitor says.
“You have seconds to pray for
forgiveness from God before we send you to Him,” I say.
“The Hydra Roundtable is-”
Suzuki and I shoot the four
traitors like fish in a barrel after the mention of our organization. I then
take a picture of their dead bodies as proof of us accomplishing this part of
the job.
“She shouldn’t have wasted her
breath, and should’ve prayed,” Suzuki says as he crosses himself.
“We’ll pray for them in their stead
later,” I say as I cross myself as well. “Onto the next objective. The rats are
dead, Cappuccino.”
“Excellent, Cowboy. We’re doing
some cleaning here as well. We don’t need our name being besmirched by what
they said,” Al says, referring to Kelly and him scrubbing the records of the
Hydra Roundtable’s name.
Suzuki and I next head up to the
chief of police’s office. It’s locked, but after a little lockpicking, I’m able
to get in.
“Cover me,” I whisper.
Suzuki nods as he stays outside
while I head in. Inside the office, the chief of police is knocked out, sitting
at his desk. Our insider put a drug inside the chief’s coffee, and since they
aren’t a big fan of his corrupt ways, has the chief’s hidden drugs out on the
table so that his addiction is exposed once we leave. Searching through the
chief’s pockets, I find a strange dragon emblem in the inside pocket of his
jacket. The dragon is made of various black lines, has golden wings, a red-tipped
tail, red horns, and teeth similar to those of a guinea pig. I’ve seen this
same dragon emblem in the hands of other people. I wonder what secret organization
these people are all a part of. Taking the emblem, I walk out of the office and
leave the door open as we were told to by our insider and make our way to where
Al and Kelly are.
Suzuki radios over to them, saying,
“We got what we needed. Is everything good on your side?”
“Yes, Byakko. The goodies and
transfers are secure,” Al says.
“Good. We’re coming over to help.”
Suzuki and I go over to Kelly and
Al, who are transferring people, weapons, stolen goods, and other evidence from
failed allies of the Hydra Collective. The people we are freeing have a black
bag over their heads and cuffs on their arms as we take them back out to the
SWAT truck. We do get questioned by an officer at the station, who we just tell
that these prisoners and the associated items are being transferred to another
location, and we show them fake papers to prove it. The officer accepts the explanation
without really looking at the papers and leaves us alone. With everything and
everyone in the SWAT truck, Suzuki drives us away from the police station and
toward a Hydra Roundtable hideout.
We take the black bags off the prisoners'
heads and uncuff them. They thank us, beg for their lives, apologizing
profusely for their failure to get their job done.
“It’s okay,” I say. “You did your
best, and you didn’t snitch, so you’re safe. You’ll just have to disappear for
a while before doing anything else for the organization. Even though the
records are scrubbed of you being there, it’s not like the cops that brought
you in will easily forget about you.”
The prisoners thank us and thank God
out loud.
“I heard there were unforeseen complications
in your job.”
“Yes,” one of the prisoners says. “Security
was tighter and their response time was faster than we imagined.”
“You were stealing from a street of
jewelry stores,” Al says.
“Yes, but we’re used to it. For us
it’s no different than a farmer picking his crops on a hot summer day, but on
the day we got caught, it was like picking crops during a hurricane. I’m still surprised
that the four of us were alive by the end of it.”
“Our bosses and their contacts will
look into it. As for you four, just focus on your own safety and keeping your
heads down until you’re called upon,” I say.
Suzuki drives us through a parking
lot and down a long hallway with a garage door. The camera near the garage door
flashes at us, and the gate opens. Inside, we park the SWAT truck, and people
who are wearing various sorts of masks, such as animals, horror creatures, weird
faces of real people, fictional characters, artistic designs, or plain colors,
help us unload what we have and take them to their appropriate areas. As for
the prisoners, they are taken away to get changed and given enough money to
survive in secret. I’ve heard some prisoners who are rescued stay in this
building for a year or more, helping the Hydra Roundtable’s operations in this
building or being its guards. As for my friends and me, we are paid for a job
well done.
To celebrate, we go to Kelly’s apartment
to celebrate. She orders the best pizza and wings she knows of and brings out a
cake she’s made herself. Her apartment is one of the upper-end ones with two
floors to it. She’s decorated it with pictures and figures of her favorite cute
animals, fictional anime characters, and horror movie clowns. She also has a
flag of her home country of the Slav Federation in the apartment, plus pictures
of her with her family and friends. News of what we did today at the bank and
police station shows up on the news, and we toast to it, like we always do.
“Man, some of these middle-circle
jobs are boring. They’re a little too simple for my tastes. When I first joined
up, I thought these were going to be more exciting,” Kelly says.
“They were to begin with,” I say. “We
did rob and blow up a bank, make the Slavs and Vorfahren fight each other, stop
a human trafficking ring, and rob a casino and give its money to the gamblers.”
“Yeah, but nowadays, it’s just go
here, check on these other groups, kill such and such people, rob these and
that people. It’s all very meh.”
“You better be careful what you
wish for. You might get more than you expect,” Suzuki says.
“That’s exactly what I want!
Challenge! Excitement! Punishing scum and giving them what they deserve and
taking back what they don’t.”
“You Slavish people are always too chaotic.”
“You people from Tatsu are too
honorable and by the books. Back me up here, Al.”
“I’m fine with either,” Al shrugs
and says.
“What about you, Ace? I know you
want to do more with these jobs, making up for your past working for predatory Israeli
bank lenders and all.”
I say, “I prefer things to be quiet,
but I do want to know more about the organization that we keep coming across,
the one whose members have those dragon emblems we keep finding. I mean, even
the chief of police is involved with them.”
“Eh. Probably a white collar crime
group, given the other people we came across who have the dragon emblem,” Kelly
says.
“Could be. They could also be our
rivals since they keep arresting our members and trying to get them to expose
our organization.”
“Well, I hope we can get back at
them or their supporters in some way, rather than just doing the seemingly unrelated
busy work we’ve been doing.”
“If God so wills it,” Suzuki says.
“Yeah, if God so wills it.”
My thoughts race as I wonder
whether we’ve actually been doing unrelated busywork, since people with the
dragon emblem keep coming up. I wonder if the Hydra Roundtable is specifically
sending us to various towns, cities, and locations where this group might be
operating. Finding the dragon emblems feels like it could be more than
coincidence at this point. For now, I can only hope and pray that we resolve
this situation with this seemingly rival criminal organization and simply enjoy
my time with my friends, who are now all arguing about the best kind of pizza
as if we’re all college-aged adults.
No comments:
Post a Comment