Wednesday, September 4, 2019

The Problem with Bonds: Chapter 1 – A Simple Task with Many Detours


Chapter 1 – A Simple Task with Many Detours
Hamlet! We don’t have time to look at the “pretty” starlit sky anymore. We have to get that guy who made us this way and get him to separate us.
You’re the one who wanted to run away from the guy that did this and now you want to go back? Why? You don’t like being together like this, Catullus? I thought you did since we’re so close to one another.
That’s not it at all! I hate being attached to you like this. Even though we’re cybernetic animals, it doesn’t mean we can live fused together like this.
If you say so, I’m comfortable like this.
No! We have to go back to normal.
But half of our original bodies were scrapped so we could be together like this.
We’ll find a way. We have to.
If you say so, let’s go on an adventure to go back to normal!
Wait, hey! You’re going the wrong way! It’s just down the street that way. I can see the guy’s house from here.
Yeah, but what’s the fun of an adventure if we just went straight to the end?
This isn’t supposed to be an adventure! We’re only walking down the street!
Yeah, yeah, but we never go on any adventures in this depressing place. We need to liven things up otherwise we’re going to be like everyone else.
How about we go on adventures after we get back to normal?
Promise?
Pinky promise.
Okay then! Hey, look! It’s one of those flying disposal machines! We have to help whoever falls out.
Hey, wait! We can help them later.
We can’t. If they’re being dropped off now, then they need help getting used to their new life here.
We’ll just tell them what they’re supposed to do then leave them. We can’t take care of everyone we see since we’re just stray animals.
I understand. They’re landing now. Oh, I hope they land in the garbage.
That’s out of character for you to say.
I don’t want them to land in filth. I want them to land so they don’t get hurt.
Who doesn’t have cybernetic parts these days?
That’s not the point. Thank goodness that they landed safely.
It’s a guy. He looks pretty beat up. I wonder what he did to get kicked out of the city.
“Hi there!”
“I must’ve damaged something when I fell because I’m hearing a cat combined with a hamster talking to me.”
“I hope you aren’t hurt. We’re cybernetic and have a voice module in us that lets us talk to humans. My name is Hamlet and my friend here is Catullus. What’s your name?”
“A hamster named after a play and a cat named after a poet…okay then my name is York.”
“What brings you down here?”
“I lost my job and couldn’t find a new one in time, so they kicked me out of the city. So much for being a safe and upright place to live in. It must look like a shining beacon of hope for the people who live down here.”
“It does but not really. We know that we’re freer out here despite it being a dangerous, lawless place to live in.”
“When you say that, it makes me want to try to find a different city to live in.”
“It’s supposed to be the same as this around the world. Huge giant shining cities that are constantly building up while the towns around it are disposal sites for those who are unwanted.”
“How do you survive down here?”
“There are food restaurants everywhere. You can find them if you look around, but some may not have the best food.”
Okay, Hamlet. I think we’ve given him enough information now.
“Where can I find a place to live?”
“You can live anywhere you want to. Just be careful if you pick a house or building with someone living in it. They may not be friendly.”
Hamlet.
“And that’s all you really need to know.”
Thank you.
“Could you give me a place to start, if you’re not busy that is?”
“Sure!”
What?! Hey! I hate that whoever has the stronger will gets to control our body.
“Is there something wrong Catullus? I’m a friendly guy despite my damaged appearance.”
“Oh, he just doesn’t like talking much to people. We can actually talk to each other with our connected minds.”
“So you hear each other’s thoughts? That’s pretty cool.”
It gets annoying.
Ha, I know you’re lying.
“It is.”
“Are you two like brothers or close friends?”
“We’re the bestest of friends.”
Shut up.
You know it’s true.
“I thought this place looked terrible from afar but looking at it closer makes it look even more terrible.”
“It’s okay when you get used to it. There are parts of this disposal site that don’t look to shabby, which is where we’re going. Since this is a disposal site, people take whatever they want to repair the shambling buildings and places here. Some have even built their own places since there’s so much scrap.”
“What about the people here? Who should I look out for?”
“You’ll know when you see them.”
Don’t say that, Catullus.
“Oh, I’ve finally heard from you. I can tell people are dangerous here by the way they look?”
“No, not always. Some people just look funny because they’re damaged and could only make themselves function with certain parts.”
“I can understand. I probably look like a shady person because of the way I look.”
Sort of.
“No, not at all!”
“Amata! Amata! Where are you?”
“Who was that?”
“That’s just an old man with damaged memory banks. He’s calling out to his dead wife.”
“Does anyone care for him?”
“Yes, but he always manages to get away from them.”
“How did his wife die?”
“She died in an accident in the city. He wasn’t allowed in the city at the time and worked his way into it only to find her dead. Since the city is renowned for its safety, he was outraged and went after the business she was a part of. Because of his aggressive approach, he was beaten up by the guards then thrown here.”
“That’s terrible.”
“It’s normal for people with tragic stories to end up here, but you shouldn’t let that keep you down. You can still enjoy your life here if you find the right people to spend it with.”
“If you say so. If I find anything good here, besides you two, then I’ll be surprised.”
“Then prepared to be surprised!”
“I don’t know if I’ll be surprised here. This hotel looks entirely made from scrap. What’s with the decals everywhere?”
“A particular resident used to make decals for the flying cars in the city but got kicked out after they made machinery that could replace him.”
“I know who you’re talking about. I guess I know why getting decals became cheaper now.”
Let’s see how everyone inside takes to seeing York.
After that, we’re going to leave him. We’ve already spent more than enough time telling him things he should know.
“Hello everyone!”
“Hello, Hamlet and Catullus.”
“Hey, hamster, who’s your friend?”
“This is York. He’s new around here.”
“Hello, York. It’s nice to meet you. We’ll get you a room and a job to do around here. Why don’t you take a look around and get acquainted with some friends? We may be dressed in scrap but we’re friendly.”
“Okay. Thank you for your hospitality.”
We can leave him now, Hamlet.
Yeah, you’re right.
“Since you brought another person here, you two should have a reward. Wait here. I’ll get some food and milk for you.”
We can stay for a second.
Food and milk are your weaknesses, aren’t they?
We need it to survive so I don’t know what you’re complaining about.
“Here you two go.”
Yes, yes, yes! Oh, how I’ve missed the taste of a nice bowl of fish and milk.
“So, Hamlet and Catullus, did you find the person who fused you together yet?”
“Not yet. We’re going back out to do now. Bringing York here was a priority to me over finding that guy. We can stay like this a bit longer.”
“You two are such good animals. You’re better than most people, in my opinion.”
“Oh, you’re exaggerating.”
I don’t think he is.
Do you hear something downstairs?
Oh no, do you think York…yep. He did. He bothered Yule.
Let’s go after her!
Hey, wait! The others can go after her. You see what she did to York. What makes you think we just won’t make things worse?
We have to try.
“Out of the way! Sorry!”
“Watch it! Move!”
Yule is causing an uproar in the neighborhood and it’s causing all sorts of people to come out of the woodworks. Are you sure you want to keep chasing after her?
Who else is going to calm her down? We’re so close. Just one more push! Let’s cut around this corner. There she is!
And she’s charging right for us!
“Yule! Calm down! It’s us, Hamlet and Catullus, your friends!”
We can’t just stand here like this. She’s going to crush us!
We must stand here where she can see us and that we’re here for her.
“We’re here for you, Yule! Just stop and talk to us. I’m sure York didn’t mean anything bad.”
“Kitty?”
Oh boy, here she comes! Ah! Oh, she stopped. Hey, get her to stop rubbing her face against us!
She’s happy when she does that. Just let her. She likes you the most anyway.
No, she doesn’t.
She said kitty and not kitty and hammy.
Whatever.
She was abused by the people she cared about the most and has the scars to show it. Show her a little sympathy.
“It’s okay. We’re here for you.”
“I’m sorry I lost control of myself.”
“Don’t worry about it. You didn’t hurt York too much, did you?”
“That new man? No, but the only thing left of him are his body and head.”
“That’s fine. As long as his heart and brain is still functioning, the guys at the hotel can fix him up no problem.”
“Thank you for coming after me to calm me down.”
“You’re welcome. Now, go back home. I’m sure the others are worried about you.”
“Okay.”
Ack! She gave me a kiss!
Ahaha, I told you she liked you more.
Shut it. We’re finally done with the side stuff. Where is that guy’s house now?
Uh…that direction?
Which direction?
Let’s just pick one and we’ll find our way. It’s not like the neighborhood is completely foreign to us.
Tch. It looks like you’re going to get the adventure you wanted.
Yay!
Let me remind you that our bodies weren’t meant to be like this. Our bodies could fail if we aren’t fixed soon.
There’s no adventure worth going on if there wasn’t any danger involved. Hey, is that a carnival on the docks?
I think someone was building one-wait, don’t take us there!
Why not? It’s not like we know the right direction to go in anyway. Maybe someone there can help us.
Ugh. Fine.
Besides, I love carnivals!
You’ve never been to one!
Then it’s all the more reason to go see it!
I can’t with you.
Hehehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment