Sunday, September 1, 2019

Fractured Heaven: Final Chapter - A Hero's Integrity

Chapter 7 – A Hero’s Integrity
For the next couple days, Basil goes in and out of the dungeon with Atlas while obtaining treasure. He doesn’t say much as his mind is concentrated on his work. Atlas sees this and doesn’t bother asking him about his indifference with his work. He just assumes that Basil understands his reality and is dealing with it. Part of Atlas is content with getting Basil to understand what is going on faster than he did, but on the other hand, he feels sad that Basil is dedicating himself in seeing Julia again and helping people if he comes across them when he could’ve left the kingdom and dedicated his service to a different kingdom. Still, they’re bringing the guild money so they’re living a comfortable life. That is until today’s visit to the dungeon.
Atlas and Basil come across a single dog-like demon in an empty hallway on the third floor. It’s been an uneventful dungeon and they’re near the treasure room only to find this simple demon close to it. It has a hand with a tongue sticking out of it for a head and a head as its rear end with black hair sticking out of it like a horse. Its most noticeable detail is the necklace around its neck. Demons don’t typically wear jewelry or carry loot with them unless they’re on the fifth floor and lower. This necklace and the face on the demon’s rear looks familiar as well. Too familiar in fact to the point where Basil lets down his guard.
“It can’t be…”
Atlas realizes what’s going on and stops Basil from inspecting the demon further.
“I’m going to need you to calm down, Basil,” Atlas says as he holds onto his shoulder.
“Is that really…”
“It…it…”
“Tell me the truth.”
“…it is. That’s Julia.”
“How?”
“I told you that you should’ve gotten close to her when you could so she could love something other than herself and her own goals. When a person’s body ends up as material for a demon’s body, it means they were sinful people who only cared about themselves. They also feel the pain of having their bodies used and contorted in the way the demons want until they are killed. Even then, their souls are still burning in Hell, so you aren’t giving them much comfort.”
Basil feels a mix of rage and sadness as he pushes away Atlas’s hand.
“I said you need to calm down.”
“I am. I’m giving her what little comfort I can.”
Basil goes over to the demon and breaks his new sword on it. Half of the sword is in the demon and the other half shatters, which makes the sword that Basil spent so much time getting useless. He switches to his regular sword and finishes off the demon. Once the body of the demon disintegrates, Basil shatters the necklace he gave Julia by hitting it repeatedly with his sword until Atlas grabs him to make him calm down.
“Get a hold of yourself! This is what the demons want you to do. I wouldn’t be surprised if they planned to get Julia to the island just because they saw a new money-hungry pretty girl. I wouldn’t even be surprised if one of them sold that necklace to her on purpose.”
“What do you mean they planned it?!”
“The most successful people here make deals with the devil to get ahead in this kingdom. You remember that contract that gatekeeper offered you? That was one of them. They also make plans to put good people in tough situations, so they give in to them. Julia was one of them and I don’t want you to be next. Let’s just get out of here and take the day off tomorrow. Come on, I’ll even buy dinner and a new sword for you.”
“I don’t need a new cheaply made sword.”
“Then I’ll help you find a better one.”
“That’s not the point.”
Atlas and Basil collect the loot and go back to the surface only to find Cynthia waiting for them.
“Where have you been?” Atlas asks her.
“I assume it’s already too late,” she says.
“What are you talking about?”
“Julia. You’ve seen her.”
“How do you know?” Basil asks.
“I knew they would put her through the same things I went through, so I tried to save her, but I was too late. She was too far gone by the time I met up with her and I knew they would throw her away just like how they throw away everyone who they break the minds of.”
“What do you mean they broke her mind?”
“Just like the demons, the people who have ties to the demons use every part of a person’s body for their purposes. I’m sorry I couldn’t save her and warn you ahead of time.”
Basil drops his treasure and walks off into the kingdom.
“Basil!” Atlas says as he chases after him.
Basil has his hand tightly gripping the hilt of his sword with his eyes locked on the floating island above. Atlas gets in front of him and stops him in his tracks.
“I know what you’re thinking, but it’s a bad idea!”
“Get out of my way!”
“Stop this! You can’t fight the entire kingdom!”
Basil unsheathes his sword and Atlas does the same in response.
“I’d rather die trying than just sit here and let all of this injustice continue to take place!”
With both hands on the hilt of his sword, Basil swings his sword at Atlas, but Atlas blocks his attack and Basil’s iron sword breaks. Atlas then knocks down Basil and retrains him.
A guard comes by and asks, “Is something going on here?”
“No, sir,” Atlas says, “It’s just a bit of stress getting to my subordinate here. I’ll be disciplining him back at the guild.”
“Okay. I’ll leave you to it then.”
“Thank you, sir.”
Atlas brings Basil back to the guild and scolds him for what he did, however, Basil doesn’t listen. He’s caught up in so many thoughts that they deafen his ears.
“Okay, Basil. I can see that you’re hurting and I’m the last person that you want bothering you. I get that. I’ll go fix your iron sword for you since you like it so much. I know a guy who will have it fixed in no time.”
After taking Basil’s broken sword and exiting his room, Cynthia enters it.
“Basil.”
“Huh?”
Cynthia suddenly kisses him and holds him close.
“What you did was impressive. It was more than Atlas ever did for me. If you want to get ahead in this kingdom, be with me.”
“What?”
“Here. Let me help you feel better.”
Cynthia kisses Basil’s face and uses a calming spell on him. He feels willing to be with her and is about to embrace her as well but pushes her away instead.
“I love a man of integrity, however, you’re not going to reject me so easily.”
Cynthia then uses a binding spell as she embraces Basil again. Basil is unable to push Cynthia away as a magical chain connects their hearts together.
“This is a little trick I learned from my time on the floating island. Buffing and healing spells are how I survived there. I don’t think I could without them. This trick I found can make all but the strong willed fall in love with you. Can you resist this feeling until I pass out?”
Basil is silent and motionless as he tries to concentrate on resisting Cynthia. Resisting becomes harder with each passing minute especially with Cynthia’s hold on him and the kisses he gives him every now and then. After a little while, Atlas comes back and is shocked to see the way the two are. He manages to pull them apart since Cynthia’s spell doesn’t affect him. Atlas then pulls Cynthia away and argues with her outside of the room. Basil has been put in a somewhat sleepy state with his head being hazy. He can only hear the two argue and not the words they’re saying. Because of his exhaustion, Basil passes out.
He dreams of being in Julia’s embrace for a while before she gets dragged down to Hell by demons. Julia tries to hold onto to Basil, but he lets her go after seeing her face become demonic. Once he wakes up, he sees that Atlas is no longer in his shining armor and is instead wearing commoner clothes like Basil. He doesn’t even have the armor with him despite having his sword and bags with him.
“Hey, Basil.”
“Atlas? Are you going somewhere?”
“Yes. I’m going to leave the kingdom and go adventuring somewhere else once I clear my head. I’ve sold my shining armor so I have enough to live on.”
“You’re leaving? What about Cynthia?”
“She wants to stay. I don’t know what to say to her anymore. She’s going up to the floating island soon. If you want to join her, she’s waiting for you in her room.”
“I’m not going to do that.”
“I knew you wouldn’t. I’m sorry that I keep leaving things out to you, but here’s one that you might be interested in. The reason that the dungeon that’s connected to Hell is below the kingdom is not because the kingdom is keeping it contained, it’s because Hell wants all the sinful people in it. Hell doesn’t care as much about the people out there as it cares about the people in here who carry out its will.”
“I figured that.”
“Right, but the powers of Hell are truly contained in a glass case that anyone can access.”
“What?”
“I’ll lead you to it.”
Atlas leads Basil to a normal looking building that’s unguarded with no locks to any of its doors. Instead of the building is a glass case containing a white and black flame.
“I know it’s a stretch to think this glass case is containing Hell itself, but it does. This fire of virtue and vice shows the nature of someone’s soul. It burns the guilty and purifies and is harmless to the virtuous. That is why when the fire touched Julia and you, she was the only one who suffered. If this simple glass case is broken, then the kingdom will be swallowed up. The virtuous will remain while the sinful will be taken.”
“Why is it so easy to get to if it’s so important?”
“For a couple of reasons. First, is that the kingdom is constantly monitored so crazy Satanists who want to unleash Hell are arrested, executed, or worse. Just because these people are on the same side doesn’t mean that they won’t backstab one another. Second, is that even if you wanted to break it, everyone who knows about this knows that if you break the case, you are sent to Hell with everyone or at least that’s what is rumored. There are people, like me, who came here thinking I was the brave hero who was going to break the case but stopped just short of breaking it. I know you’re brave enough to fight me in public so you might be the one to do it. Think about for a bit or at least give me enough time to leave so I won’t have to worry about escaping a crumbling kingdom. I want to be forgiven for my sins and do penance for me. Pray for me.”
“I will.”
Atlas leaves Basil to his choice. For a few minutes, Basil has his sword out and walks back and forth deciding whether or not to do anything. Once the thought of good people living in and coming into the kingdom enters his mind, his choice becomes obvious. Basil yells out as he strikes the fragile glass case that sucks him into it. He’s now falling into a black and white chasm with a large black hand bigger than the kingdom itself reaching for him.
“You’re no hero,” a loud voice from the chasm says, “You’ve damned hundreds of thousands of souls to Hell. You just did this because you wanted fame and wanted to pretend to be a hero. God has judged that you will go to Hell with the rest of the wicked!”
Basil’s body starts falling apart as his legs and one of his arms turn to ash. The rest of his body starts crumbling as well though his arm that’s holding his sword is still able to hold onto his weapon.
“No. I did this for everyone that’s good in the kingdom. I sacrificed my life for them. I place my soul in God’s hands whether I go to Heaven or Hell. Let thy will be done and not mine.”
Basil then holds back his sword as he yells out ready to strike the enormous hand is about to take him, but Basil is taken away. He watches from a distance as the giant black hand pulls down the floating island and the kingdom into a dark chasm along with it.
Meanwhile, Basil is rising into the sky as he hears a voice saying, “You have made a truly selfless decision, Basil. Your reward in Heaven will be great.”
“What about the good people still in the kingdom?”
“They are safe. Even your friend Atlas is a safe distance away.”
“Thank you.”
As Basil enters the light, he feels his burden lifted from him. He finally became the hero he wanted to be even though it didn’t go the way he thought it would, but it doesn’t matter to him. No one knows what situations God will put them in so that His will be done, however, Basil doesn’t mind because God’s will is done, and that’s all that really matters because this is how things are.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment