
Epilogue
– A Rigged Result
A few weeks have passed since our
major decision, and the country has changed as a result. The president was shot
and killed, and there’s a civil conflict between the Vorfahren and adherents of
the Slavs. For the first week, we staged murders to look like it was coming
from the other side, and because both sides already hated one another, it wasn’t
hard for them to completely turn their attention to them. In the second week, we
arranged for them to meet one another, making them think they were going to get
revenge on their ideological enemy through arresting or killing them, and
during the meeting, we fired shots from both sides. Because of what was
previously mentioned, the two sides had no problem killing one another, leaving
us only the job of cleaning them up.
By the third week, our friends of
the family in the media spin the story as rising tensions between both ideologies,
and now both are focusing more on tearing each other down than on the country
they reside in. The rest of our family cleaned up the other people of interest
who didn’t show up at the meeting, and by now, it’s just chalked up as more
violence between the two groups, and not looked into beyond that. The one bad
thing that came about our plans is that the said violence between the two
groups has engulfed the cities and towns where they chose to fight, but both
James Sovrano and my brother see it as an opportunity to beat both sides up or
outright kill them with the excuse being that they’re just defending the community,
adding to the public’s view of the family as just being a collection of people
who love their families and country and want to protect it.
It’s a huge win all around, and
today, we’re celebrating in a private dining hall with all the members of the
family and friends of All the members of
the public part of the family, Casa Della Luce, and the shadowy part, Casa
Della Notte, that are here happily drinking, eating, joking around, and
continue to scheme and make plans, but as for my related family and I, we
simply enjoy each other’s company and the festivities.
Coming back with drinks and a cigar
in his mouth, Cesare distributes the drinks and says, “What’s the serious face,
Vincenzo? There’s nothing much left to scheme about.”
“There’s always something to plan
for,” Marin says.
“But then there are times to party,
let loose, and let God take care of the rest,” Okazaki says as she clinks glasses
and drinks with Cesare, who agrees.
“I plan to become the next president,”
I say.
Cesare and Okazaki spit out what
they drank. Marin isn’t so surprised since I talked it over with her already in
the days leading up to today.
Continuing, I say, “It’s the only
way to solidify protection for our family for generations to come.”
“I figured that, but also, I have
no idea why I’m so surprised. This is great, brother! I have to go get us more
drinks!”
Cesare leaps up out of his seat and
runs to the bar.
“What do you think the rest of the
family thinks?” Marin asks.
“They approve of it, or at least
are waiting to see what I’ll do. I’m sure they already know about it. I passed
the idea by Russell, and he seemed proud of me and was approving,” I say.
“I don’t know why they wouldn’t be.
You’ve proven yourself to be loyal to God and the family, especially our own.”
“You’ve done your fair share to
help as well. You too, Okazaki. I’m proud to call you a sister-in-law.”
“Aww, thanks! I can’t wait for the
day I can say that my brother-in-law is the president of the United Chimera States.
The future remains bright for us,” Okazaki says.
“God willing it is,” I say. “But
what am I saying? I bet everyone on relying on God’s providence and have gotten
richer in many ways because of it.”
Cesare brings us drinks, and with
him are a bunch of people who congratulate me on my decision. Some of them even
joke about rigging the election in my favor, something I won’t exactly argue
with, unless I’m running against someone else whom I trust with the country.
With all our glasses raised high, I
say, “To faith, family, and fortune.”
Everyone says the same, drinks, and
goes back to celebrating even harder now because of what may happen in the future,
but like I said, what am I saying? God is on our side, so the game is rigged in
our favor, just how we like it.
The End
No comments:
Post a Comment