Saturday, October 22, 2022

A Union of Heart: Mercy and Justice: Chapter 4 – The Absolute’s Love

*Concept art for Absalom and his specters

Chapter 4 – The Absolute’s Love

Caleb used to be sleepy as we traveled our way here. Now, he’s awake and focused. Absalom’s city is in the distance. It sits upon an inactive volcano and is surrounded by what must be hundreds of thousands of specters that fly around it like a tornado. The sky is covered in black clouds that swirl around as if something bad is going to happen. Sure enough, Absalom approaches us by using one of his specters to speak to us.

“You’re going to wish that you took my offer and died in the battle against my allies and specters because I won’t kill you in this battle. Instead, I’ll sacrifice you to add to my power just like I’m doing with the men, women, and rebellious children around me right now,” Absalom says.

“Don’t do it!” I say.

“It’s too late. You can probably hear their screaming from where you are.”

It’s true. I can hear and feel their screams in my soul even though they must be far away from us. The tornado of specters grows fiercer and black lightning starts flashing in the sky.

“You’ve crossed the line and you’ll pay for what you’ve done!” Caleb says.

“I thank you for the inspiration. Your power has shown me that I need more to beat you. I also have to concede that you’re right in that violence is needed in some cases to bring about true peace. These people were threats to that peace whether you think so or not. No price is too high for peace and the people you love after all. I’m sure you agree. Now, enough talk. Behold my power and despair.”

“I don’t think we will. Caleb!”

“You’re the one who’s going to despair at our power!” Caleb says before taking my hand.

Together we say, “Beg for mercy from the Absolute, all you conceited sinners! Judgment has arrived!”

Our dragon combines itself in a flash of golden light before it breathes its golden and black fire at the incoming specters and the conceited. It then spirals around the inactive volcano to create a tornado of flames. While it does this, we defend it from its attackers on top of its body until the entire volcano is covered in gold and black flames and many of the conceited and specters are burned to ash. The clouds have also somewhat cleared so that the sun can shine down in places. Seeing that it's safe to go down, we head straight to the castle that sits on the volcano, where Absalom must be.

Going into the castle, we find it mysteriously quiet. Be careful, Kyla. I know, Caleb. There are probably more enemies around here somewhere. Also, I know it's okay to admit you're starting to feel tired. Though that battle was short, the power to make that tornado took a lot out of you and me. It sure did. Hey, when this is over, do you want to finally start to have children? Why bring it up now? I'm not doing it, Kyla. Neither am I, Caleb. I guess it's on both of our minds. I guess so, Kyla. So, do you? I think it's a good idea, especially since there aren't any threats like Absalom around that need our immediate attention and it would be good to let our armies do the work for once rather than just being peacekeepers.

Let's try then when we get back home and after the celebration. I'd love to have two daughters and two sons. You know what I'd like, Kyla. Four sons and three daughters. Or we could have four daughters and four sons, Caleb. Who am I kidding? The Absolute decides this, so let's hope and pray for the best. Thank you for bringing it up. We both did. With something that we really want now in our minds, we both feel invigorated with more energy to wipe away our tiredness for the time being.

There's still no sign of anyone in this castle. The sound of nothing but our footsteps and the footsteps of our dragon is deafening. To our surprise, we don't face any resistance even when we enter the throne room and find Absalom waiting for us without any of his specters around him.

“What? Decided to give up?” Caleb asks.

“No, not at all. I've just been busy using my specters to keep more of my citizens inside so they don't fight you. Believe it or not, I didn't intend for any of them to attack you. I only wanted my specters to do that,” Absalom says. “Now, with the innocent out of the way, we can have a proper fight.”

To start the fight, our dragon breathes its blue and red flames on Absalom who uses a seemingly endless supply of specters to shield him. We attack him on both sides and even now, he conjures more specters to defend him and fight against us. Seeing that our tactic isn’t working, our dragon ceases its flames and we back away to quickly think of a new plan. What can we possibly do, Caleb? Use the dragon’s gold and black flames, I guess, Kyla? It’s risky and may completely deplete us of our strength especially since he’s concentrated all his power into himself. Better than tiring ourselves on his defenses. Maybe.

“Are you done? You’ve yet to bring me to my knees despite all my specters that you managed to dispel. Remember that damage done to them is damage done to me and see that I still stand unshaken and uninjured,” Absalom says before turning his head and eyes to the side. “No. I thought…I thought I had all of…”

Two people enter the room from behind us and stand defending Absalom. They are cloaked in darkness and specters that defend them from their sides and back. The darkness cloaking them dispels a bit to reveal that one is a woman and the other a boy that’s about ten years younger than us.

“What are you two doing here? I thought I said to stay safe in your rooms,” Absalom says to them.

“I couldn’t let you fight this threat by yourself,” the woman says who must be his wife.

“We can help you, father,” the boy says.

“We love you and make sure your dream comes true.”

“You’re my hero, father. Let’s put these villains down.”

“Okay, okay. Just make my specters do most of the fighting,” Absalom says as he begrudgingly accepts their help.

“Yes, my love.”

“As you command, my father.”

Somethings wrong. I have a feeling the conceited are possessing them in a strange way, Kyla. Me too, Caleb. Try not to hurt them too much. Of course not. We let our dragon coat the room in red and blue flames to keep away Absalom’s wife and son as it tries to purify them. Meanwhile, we fight against Absalom’s specters who are more fully formed now. These specters look like skeletal knights with horns on their heads. They wield various kinds of heavy swords, axes, and halberds in an effort to overwhelm us with their strength and end the fight quickly.

The fight seemingly goes nowhere with Absalom’s side slowly whittling down our strength. That is until Absalom’s wife manages to get in front of Kyla and starts to fight her while Absalom’s son fights Caleb. Absalom is sure to overwhelm us like this. Let’s risk holding these two down while our dragon purifies them, Kyla. I’m afraid that’s the only thing we can do too, Caleb. It may intensify Absalom’s aggression, but if these two wake up from their possession, they could get Absalom to stand down. That’s what I’m thinking.

We take this risk and hold down these two in front of our dragon as it breathes its fire on us. Absalom tries sending as many of his specters against us, and even though our dragon’s flames don’t hurt us and act as a shield, some of his specters’ attacks get through and we have to suffer being cut and stabbed by their attacks. Eventually, the presence of the conceited is gone from Absalom’s wife and son, except…something is wrong. Deeply wrong. Can you feel it too, Caleb? I can, Kyla. They’re dead but they haven’t turned to ash. It's like…they been dead this whole time, and not only that. Their souls are in…

“Get away from them!” Absalom says as he pushes us to the back of the room with a flood of specters.

To defend ourselves from this flood, our dragon has to use its gold and black flames and use the rest of our energy to mitigate the damage. By the end of it, our dragon is separated into two and our strength has reached its limits. Meanwhile, Absalom whispers to his wife and son as he tries in vain to wake them up. Caleb and I look at each other before slowly approaching him.

“Absalom, they’re dead and have been for a while. What have you done to them?” I ask.

“I haven’t done anything and they have been alive! They were at least…until you killed them!” he says.

“They’ve been dead, you dolt! Wake up from your self-delusions if you have any sense left in you,” Caleb says.

“I gave them the constant protection of my specters. I would’ve known if they were dead!”

“You don’t have full control of them because they don’t always follow your orders,” I say. “The attacks on our home, your allies not listening to you, and you not even being able to hold back these two from coming here. Face it. The vainglory are manifesting themselves through your specters and are using you for their own ends. They aren’t communicating to you everything. Least of all the deaths of your wife and son who are now…now, in the Land of the Forgotten.”

“That’s not true! It can’t-”

Before he can finish, I touch his wife and use my other hand to touch Absalom so that he knows what I do. I’m able to sense the destination of a heart if I touch their body and his wife’s soul is damned along with the soul of his son who was at the age of reason.

“You made them conceited, Absalom. Their souls were in a state of falsehood, of grievous mortal sin and they accepted it because of you. You helped damn their souls and the vainglory kept their minds in a state of sin,” I say.

“I…I…” Absalom says unable to make an excuse.

I can feel his shriveled heart slowly begin to beat more as he begins to cry and regret what he’s done. Turning around to Caleb, I see that he’s dropped his guard. Absalom is obviously defeated and doesn’t seem to want to fight anymore.

“Do it then. Punish me for my failure,” Absalom says.

Caleb and I step back from him while our dragons burn him with their flames. By the end of it, his crown is gone along with the black cloak and the hole in his chest is no longer there. He’s somehow deserving of the Absolute’s mercy much to Caleb’s and my surprise. Suddenly, Absalom’s body convulses. He curls up on the spot as specters come out of him and then disappear.

“Get out of here! The vainglory are furious at my repentance and are trying to manifest themselves,” Absalom says.

With our dragons, we try to defuse the situation with more fire, but this ceases Absalom’s convulsing for a few seconds before it begins again. We then try using our weapons, however, this doesn’t work either as specters manifest to defend him and push us back.

“Save yourselves and leave me to my penance!” Absalom says before using his specters to push us out of his castle along with our dragons.

“Come on, Kyla! We must go!” Caleb says.

Seeing as there’s nothing we can do, we ride our dragons far away from the inactive volcano until an explosion rocks the entire land, and black and white made of specters shield the city that lies on top of it. This shield is unbreakable as neither our dragons nor are attacks can make a dent in it.

“We should have soldiers guarding this thing,” Caleb suggests.

“I agree. Do you think Absalom is still alive inside of it?” I ask.

“Probably. I don’t know really. All I know is that he made an act of perfect repentance, so even if he’s dead, his soul will be purified and then sent to the Land of the True.”

“Yeah, and despite everything that he’s done, I hope that’s the case.”

“Yeah…”

Now that our job is done, we head back home much to the joy of our people. We tell them of what happened and a force of soldiers is sent out to guard the shield of specters. Also, we tell them that we’re taking a break to start a family, and the leaders of the kingdom agree and think that it’s an appropriate reward for us after all that we’ve done. A celebration is then held for us at which we are required to give a speech much to Caleb’s dismay.

I start the speech by saying, “Though we are glad for our victory, we mourn the lost at the same time. Absalom was a man afflicted by tragedy and buckled under the weight of it despite being one of the greatest self-sacrificing soldiers of his kingdom. During the last time we saw him, I revealed to him that his wife and son were in the Land of the Forgotten as a result of his actions and he repented of his sins and did his penance. Even now, his shield holds him in a makeshift prison where I believe he is doing his penance. This should remind us that the Absolute always gives us a chance to repent despite our many flaws and what we do and that even the worst of us are not beyond redemption. Days and years may seem the same and our situation may get worse but remember that love and truth remain constant and so will our promise to the Absolute and to you that we will do the best for you as your prince and princess of Simbiosi.”

The people clap and await Caleb’s addition to my speech. All eyes including mine are on him forcing him to get up and not hide in his chair.

“What else do I need to add to that wonderful speech?” Caleb adds much to everyone’s amusement. “My wife and I went out and did our job and despite everything that’s happened, we didn’t learn anything new and weren’t challenged in any meaningful way, in my opinion. We were just the Absolute’s tools in Absalom’s conversion. There’s nothing of note of me to reflect on either than one thing. Life is a constant battle. We stumble, fall, and get back up repeatedly. Though we know there’s an end to it, we never know how long we must hold out and sometimes may lose ourselves in the process like Absalom did. I only ask that you don’t lose yourselves. Remember who the Absolute made you to be. We are all made to be saints. Remember the endless mercy that the Absolute contains and is willing to give to all. We are unworthy of it, but the Absolute is waiting to give it to us like a father waiting on the porch for a wayward child. Through this war that we call life, we will sanctify ourselves and the world. Empowered by love and truth, we will make it to the Land of the True together.”

This speech gets the crowd to stand, cheer, and clap even more than my speech much to Caleb’s surprise. The rest of the celebration goes well and Caleb even willingly dances with me and seems to have fun doing it. It’s a good start for the restful times that we will raise a family in. As the slow music starts to play, I kiss Caleb and rest my head on his chest while slowly dancing with him thankful for everything I have, everyone around me, and everything that I’ve been through that’s made me stronger.

 

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment