Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Hearken the Final Bell: Chapter 2 – Ashes of Legacies

Chapter 2 – Ashes of Legacies

In their quest for redemption, Lewis and Carol stumble upon the ruins of a kingdom or rather kingdoms.

“Is this the place we heard in the legends?” Carol asks.

“Yes, I think it is,” Lewis confirms, “The two brother kingdoms that destroyed each other. Feel the ground. It’s exactly how the storytellers described it. The ground is stained red and is soaked with the blood of the brother’s families as if the war just concluded. In addition, the ground is composed oddly, to say the least since it’s said that both kingdoms were transported here as a monument to the sins of the kingdoms.”

“Then the two brothers who are still fighting should be nearby. I don’t hear anything though.”

“Maybe that part was just the storytellers seeing the manifestations of their ghosts living out their Purgatorial punishment.”

“I don’t know if we should be here. I’m sure the scavengers got whatever valuables are around here.”

“Where’s your sense of adventure? Let’s see what we can find here.”

Lewis and Carol scavenge through the ruins of the kingdoms while two ancient figures watch them from a distance to see what they will do. There are many ancient weapons, kinds of furniture, and pieces of clothing in the ruins, however, they are soiled by the bloodied dirt and ashes. Among the junk, Lewis finds two things that he knows will cheer Carol up.

“Look at these! Do you remember how to play them?” Lewis says as he holds up two violins with their respective bows.

“I remember them, but not really how to play,” Carol says as the memories of them bring a smile to her face.

“How is that even possible? I remember you playing it from your balcony almost every day.”

“You listened to me play that much? You creep!” Carol jokes.

“I had to learn how to play somewhere. Our town was falling apart and there was no better place to rest from it all than under your balcony to listen to you play while trying it myself.”

“So that’s what that noise was! I thought I was messing up when I heard the wrong notes being played.”

“I wasn’t being a creep. I was just too nervous to approach you until I thought the time was right. You were like a princess on that balcony while I was the poor servant.”

“Why are you telling me this now?”

“To reminisce on old memories. Do you remember the first time we met?”

“It was after our town was scattered. I heard someone playing beautiful music and discovered you playing in a field.”

“That was to draw you over to me. It’s a good thing that we quickly fell in love while the priests were still around so that we could be properly married.”

“We were probably one of the last people to do so. I remember all the hate we got from the jealous couples who could no longer be married. It’s a miracle that I was married to someone like you.”

“I can say the same. Do you remember that song that you used to sing on the night of every end of the week?”

“I sort of do.”

“Well, since you can’t remember how to play, you can sing it while I play the music.”

“Do you even remember how to play?”

“Mostly…it’ll come to me.”

“I don’t know.”

“Come on! It’s not like anyone’s going to judge you for it.”

“…Ok.”

Lewis begins to play one of the violins while Carol starts to sing.

 

Now the day has fallen to night

Will you be at my side?

Will you hear my plea?

Will you stay with me?

 

I’d rather be in your darkness than my light

For it shines bright

It gives me warmth when I am cold

It’s love like the stories I am told

 

There’s not much time left

Let me hold you close to my chest

Close to my heart

So that we’re never far apart

 

I’d rather be in your darkness than my light

Save me from this blight

I would chase you if I were so bold

Your love is more precious than gold

 

Will I ever see you again?

Will you save me from this pain?

 

Will I be without you?

Is this my just due?

 

I’d rather be in your darkness than my light

I bring this music to the fight

This week, this day comes to a close

Will you ever be mine? God only knows”

 

“That was amazing, Carol! You still sing in the same heavenly voice you did so many years ago.”

The figures that were watching them come out of hiding and clap for the couple’s performance.

“That was a fine performance!” one of them compliments.

“Yes, a very fine performance,” the other says.

Turning to respond to the compliments, Lewis and Carol are shocked to see two black skeletons that are clothed with rotting royal attire and crowned with brown gold crowns.

“What? Oh, that’s right. Sorry for our appearance. We still aren’t used to the consequences of our appearances, but shouldn’t you know about two skeleton kings that wander the ruins of their homes?” one of the kings asks.

“We…we do, your majesties though we thought you were just legends,” Lewis says.

“Just legends? Do you know what our names are? What about the names of our kingdoms?”

“No clue.”

“What about this?” one of the kings says as they go through the junk and pull out a ruined book with pictures in it.

The writing in the book is barely legible and what can be read is written in an older way of speaking. Pictures in the book are also strange to Lewis and Carol. One depicts a crow man, another depicts a monstrous queen with golden black flames around her, yet another depicts a pirate, and the last shows off a man with horns wrapped in flames. These pictures are the only ones that can be made out while the others are ruined.

“No, I don’t know what these are supposed to be,” Carol admits.

One of the kings sighs then says, “I guess that’s just the way of the world, cousin. Legends are forgotten and memories of them are blown up like dust. How long has it been since the end started or is that a stupid question since time doesn’t matter anymore? I mean I can hardly even tell what time of day it is when I look at the sky.”

“The sky has never been the same since the end began. It’s hardly the same from day to day assuming the day is changing,” the other king adds, “The sun shines in certain parts of the sky while there’s darkness not too far from it. If it all weren’t controlled by God, I’d say it was unnatural.”

What the kings say is true as Lewis and Carol really start to take note of the sky, how bright and dark it can be, and how long it’s been since the end.

“Anyways, you two can keep those violins and whatever treasure you find. It’s not going to do any of us any good.”

“It’s not going to do anything good for us admittedly too,” Lewis says.

“Why’s that? Can’t you sell anything for food and water?”

“Strangely enough, when the end started, we no longer could be filled with food or water. It’s like our bodies are forced to be in a state of abstinence.”

“That is strange though I guess it’s normal in this scenario. Nothing will surprise me at this rate.”

Both kings then sense more people entering their ruins and take out their weapons as they turn away from the couple. Their skeletal bodies are lit up by flames one has a golden flame while another has a red flame.

“You two should take what you want and leave. A large force of people are here and they aren’t as nice as you to say the least. In fact, they were here before and brought their friends because we didn’t let them take anything,” one of the kings says.

“How can you tell?” Carol asks.

“Our flames allow us to read the souls of those we look at. It was nice talking to you. Perhaps you can play and sing for us after the end is over.”

“Okay, we will!”

Lewis and Carol leave the area with a violin as the attacking force focuses on the kings. From a distance, they watch as those going into the kingdom don’t come out with flares of flame sprouting out every now and then. This sight gives the couple comfort that the undead kings will be okay especially since they’re technically already dead. They then rest nearby and make music with their new violin and sing the old songs they used to when things weren’t as crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment