Saturday, April 29, 2023

Self-Proclaimed gods and Saturdays: Chapter 1 – More Dead Than Alive



Chapter 1 – More Dead Than Alive

Stopping my hearse outside of a ruined church, I get out, grab my shotgun, and keep my head down as I enter it. Inside, various people in priestly robes are gathered for a meeting with what look to be ordinary people also dressed in similar robes. They are whispering together and going through some kind of ceremony that looks foreign to me. Even though I’m in the shadows, they seem to notice me. Before any of them can say anything to me with their fake smiles on their faces, I aim my shotgun at them and start firing. It doesn’t surprise me much that a few of them don’t go down in one or two shots since I know who these people are.

They have cybernetics like me, but unlike me, they aren’t covered head to toe in cybernetics and nearly bulletproof armor. Walking through their gunfire, I take out one after the other until only one remains. The last one keeps fighting until I shoot off one mechanical arm and leg from them and only then do they give up.

“What-what do you want from us? Aren’t you a priest like me?” the man asks.

“I’m not like you. I know who you are. You and your friends were enforcers from Old America or some other faction inside them. Whatever the case is, I know you had something to do with the slaughter of my flock, my family, and my friends. Tell me where your leaders are and I’ll spare you from living the rest of your life in the condition you are now,” I say.

“…I don’t know anything.”

“It’s not right to lie in a house of God even one that’s destroyed and tainted by your use of it like this one,” I say before shooting another one of the man’s mechanical limbs off. “Answer me honestly.”

“I honestly don’t know! The only thing I do is that we got the orders from an android that came from us from one of the last three states. That’s all! I swear to God that’s all I know.”

“Fine.”

I shoot the man and cross myself before saying a prayer for my enemies around me. Continuing to the back of the church, I go through a door and find a cache of weapons, restraints, food, and water. Despite my body being made of mostly cybernetics, I still need to eat and drink like a normal person so I eat and drink what’s here and pack up what I can carry in addition to taking ammo for my shotgun and more guns. Among the supplies, I find handwritten notes and letters that detail the orders of the people who were here and maps with locations circled on them. From what I read, these people were not only assassins for Old America but also kidnappers.

Most people in this new America seek God since the recent results of a godless nation have shown them the fruits of sin and it looks like people in Old America are taking advantage of that for some reason. Perhaps it’s to make them slaves of labor or pleasure or to make them soldiers because Old America is running low on them, so low in fact that they’re making an army of robots to protect them and to take back the lost states or at least that’s what they say. Every attempt they’ve made has failed including attempts to use the forces and aid of foreign nations, but the American people have endured, so this new one doesn’t concern me. Still, I could use the information I found here to help me in the search of finding those who ordered the murder of my friends and family and tell of this cache’s location and the information of its kidnappers to those who need it such as those who hunt kidnappers. For now, I will focus on my own goal.

Being in this church reminds me of that cursed day that made me this way. Mercifully, I remember very little except the pain, the shooting, the burning, and the screaming, which I’d still like to forget. In fact, I wouldn’t mind forgetting that day and living as if it never happened. On that day most who were close to me died while I somehow survived despite being the target of enforcers who were targeting the religious. The famous Roxy and her band of faithful Catholics and allies that have been aiding people across the country happened to be our saviors because they were passing by and on their way to one of Old America’s states to wear it down. They tried to save as many as they could, but they only ended up saving me. In their charity, they gave me this cybernetic body to help me continue living, however, they said I won’t be able to live outside of this body and would almost instantly die without it.

They left soon after giving as much food, water, and weapons as they could spare along with some advice before continuing on. That advice they gave might’ve been useful, but I don’t remember what they said. All I knew and still know now is that I was the reason my loved ones were in danger and that I had to leave and ensure they and others like us wouldn’t be targeted again. Turning to face the altar where a broken cross that has a dismembered corpus of Christ on it, I wonder why He allowed things to turn out this way. Remembering His suffering, I humble myself, kneel, and cross myself before leaving the church to continue to carry the cross that’s been given to me by getting into my hearse and driving off to one of the marked locations on the map.

This hearse that I’ve been driving was one of the only vehicles we had left after the attack. Honestly, it’s fitting given the man or lack of man that I am now. The face in the mirror looking back at me bares no resemblance to my old face since it was practically burned off. People say that I look like death itself and my actions add to the image that’s been painted of me. I’ll not likely live after finishing my mission because I’m one man against many soldiers. Back in the day, I would only resort to violence as a last resort, but nowadays, it’s the only option to solve this problem of mine that I can think of. The murderers and kidnappers coming after my loved ones, those searching for God, and the Church need to be punished and I won’t put my second foot into the grave until that happens.

Stopping by one of the locations on the map, I find a populated marketplace. I must keep myself cloaked here to not attract attention and scare people away. Also, having the cybernetics that I have are a sign of having immense wealth so I could attract the wrong kind of attention as well. This place seems out of time as if it exists in the past or future. Settlements like this are either centers of crime or towns where most people stay in and are suspicious of one another. People here are acting as if there isn’t a civil war going on. Families are walking around, honest businesses are earning their bread, and people are enjoying life.

What could be hidden here that’s so important for the murderers and kidnappers of Old America? Could it be the population here? There are many of them and the church I was at isn’t too far of a drive from here. Maybe they’re using it as a cover so that whoever comes here doesn’t suspect anything. Perhaps there’s a cache of weapons here. Whatever the case is, I keep my head down as I search for what is so important.

Thirty minutes pass and I begin to think that there’s nothing here. Seeing this all reminds me of the life that I wanted for the people I loved. There’s still time to give it to those who remain and keep it safe for those who are enjoying it. I consider questioning everyone here starting with the business owners about the enforcers until a group of them backed up by a larger squad of androids arrives. Sticking to the shadows, I overhear the enforcers give the speech they give to all settlements about how Old America is going to come back and reconquer their land and it would be best to pledge their alliance now or suffer the consequences. The families begin to go inside the buildings as what I assume to be the community leaders talk to the enforcers.

“We politely refuse your offer,” one of the leaders says.

“Why would you? America has been at war with itself for years and the government is trying to unite it,” the enforcer says.

“They’re trying to unite it with force.”

“As if the rogue states didn’t rebel without it.”

“That’s because it’s our right to rebel if the government is corrupt. It’s one of the founding values of this country.”

“It’s also the right of the American government to keep and take back its land.”

“The corrupt have no rights.”

“We could say the same thing about you.”

“You can say it, but you’ll be wrong. As we have said before, we politely refuse your offer. Leave peacefully or we’ll show you why Old America is losing this civil war.”

Both parties stare at each other in silence while slowly moving their fingers to their triggers until the sound of cars roaring to this location catches their attention. They accuse each other of secretly calling in backup before shooting at one another. The people of this settlement start joining in by shooting from the rooftops, windows, and start coming out of the buildings guns blazing. Joining the fight, I try to be in front of everyone so that I get shot instead of them. Thankfully, I end up saving a few lives because of it. Eventually, there are only a few enforcers left with the rest being androids who are soon joined by a squad of five enforcers backed up by ten androids that arrive in trucks. It seems like we’re going to be overwhelmed until more trucks come in, but help comes out of these trucks that help get rid of the remaining enforcers and androids.

While we celebrate our victory and thank our saviors, one of them comes up to me and says, “Father Woo?”

“How do you know me?” I ask.

“Roxy and her crew told me about you and there aren’t many priests out there with cybernetics like you. Let’s sit down and talk. We may need your help.”

“I’m only out here to obtain justice for the people that did this to me, killed my loved ones, and to make sure it doesn’t happen to anyone else.”

“Well, you’ve managed to prevent it from happening again today and that’s exactly what we need your help with.”

“Okay, I’m listening.”

No comments:

Post a Comment