Monday, April 15, 2019

Spring Showers, Death's Hour: Chapter 3 – A Man’s Hate Determines His Fate

Chapter 3 – A Man’s Hate Determines His Fate
Marcel and Louise head over to the public library. Marcel asks the librarian about recent stories of drama within the town and he is given several articles. After looking through the articles for two hours, Marcel finds a recent article that details something that he thinks could relate to the strange rain.
He whispers, “Louise, I think I’ve found the reason behind the rain.”
“Do tell.”
“An ex-criminal by the name of Umberto came to Barro to start his life over again. He was in jail for murder, theft, property damage, and such and was well known for his crimes. Because of that, the people here didn’t welcome him. He tried to show that he was a changed man through acts of charity and community service, but the town still hated him. After a while, he became depressed, and killed himself.”
“Okay, so? What if a notorious criminal kills himself?”
“Because everyone deserves a second chance especially if they actively pursue it. What accomplishment is it of you to just love the people that love you? This was a tragedy and it isn’t the only one. There are other stories of people who came here seeking help and were turned down. Some people became violent, some committed suicide, and others left the town to complain about to others as a result. The people we know are only nice to us because they know us. They aren’t so nice to outsiders especially if they have a muddled history.”
“I still don’t see the point. Are you saying that God is punishing the town because they aren’t so kind to criminals?”
“Yes, and I know why you don’t see the point. Remember when I talked about being personal with people?”
“Not this again.”
“When you talk to people and get to know them personally, you see that everyone has problems and flaws that they need to get over. No one is perfect.”
“I know that.”
“But you need to be reminded of it. I know I need to be every now and then because the most horrible sinners out there make me forget that they’re also people with problems who need help.”
“Don’t tell me that you sympathize with these people.”
“How could I not sympathize with people who were turned down after looking for help? Stop being so impersonal and think about this for a second.”
“I’m not being impersonal, and I am thinking! I just can’t easily forgive people who commit the worst crimes.”
“Then what makes you think you’ll be forgiven if you can’t forgive others?”
“Ugh. I can’t deal with this. You’re saying that this town is suffering from demons and this strange rain because they didn’t help others even though they were notorious criminals?”
“Yes.”
“Sure. Whatever.”
“Where are you going, Louise?”
“Back to the motel. I’m leaving Barro.”
“Why?”
“Because there’s no good reason behind the rain nor is there a solution to it. I’m just going to leave and hope the situation solves itself.”
“You can’t do that! We have to help somehow.”
“You can do that yourself in vain.”
“Don’t leave me like this again, Louise.”
“Why not? I became famous and entertained and helped dozens of people when I did last time. You can come if you want. You can do so much more if you-”
The sound of heavy rain pounds the windows of the library, which catches their ears.
“It’s raining again? Why?”
A large bolt of lightning strikes the library and breaks the ceiling sending debris everywhere. Demons start going into the library to hunt for their prey.
“Louise!”
“Marcel!”
The two are separated in the panic and confusion as more lightning bolts hit the library as if it were a lightning rod. When Marcel is out of the library, he looks around for Louise, but can’t manage to find her.
“Louise!”
Demons are melting people in the panic, so Marcel distances himself from the library while also keeping an eye out for Louise. He thinks he sees her in the distance running with people, so he chases after her. When he gets to the group of people, he sees a person that looks like Louise but isn’t. He continues to run around while calling out for her. Lightning bolts strike various houses and buildings throughout the town as more and more demons enter into the town via the people who are melted by the rain.
Marcel finds two people are surrounded by demons not wanting them to die, he throws dirt at the demons to get their attention. They chase him until he is surrounded.
“Get away from him!” a familiar voice says in the distance.
Louise runs over to Marcel and covers him with her body before the demons spit at him.
“Louise!”
Even though Louise is hit, the demons are the ones that melt.
“I’m sorry, Marcel. I love you.”
“Louise…you’re okay.”
“What?”
She feels herself and notices that she isn’t melting.
“It’s because you committed an act of true love, which the demons can’t stand.”
“I just…”
Marcel kisses Louise and this stops the rain from touching them. When they stop kissing, the rain continues to fall on them.
Marcel’s attention then snaps to the people in need. He says, “We have to help everyone. Look! The demons are chasing after them.”
“But how? I saw your guitar get destroyed by the rubble.”
“It doesn’t mean that my singing isn’t bad. Do you remember the one time I sang outside your house?”
“Don’t remind me,” Louise says with a little giggle.
“Then let’s give these demons a little song to get stuck in their heads.”
“Which one?”
After telling her which song to sing, they sing it together. They irritate the demons and even the weather with their song. A barrier seems to be made from the song that repels attack demons, the rain, and even bolts of lightning from harming them. Once their song is over, the rain and lightning stop and the demons dissipate, but the sky is still cloudy.
“That’s strange,” Marcel says, “Things must be getting worse if the clouds are still in the sky. We should get to the diner to see if anyone made it to safety.”
“Okay.”
When the two get to the diner, they see it more destroyed than it was before with no one there.
“Oh no…” Marcel says as he rubs his face in disbelief.
“Maybe everyone went somewhere else. I’m sure a church is safer than a diner when it comes to protection against demons.”
“Maybe, but then again, a church is only as holy as the people within it.”
“Oh…that’s right.”
Marcel and Louise look around them as they think about what to do next. The town has been severely damaged by the heavy thunderstorm with buildings and homes damaged along with the streets, cars, gardens, and trees. It’s as if a tornado passed through the area especially with all the trash and debris scattered on the ground along with the bits of clothes that suggest the deaths of many people.
“I’m thinking we should visit the graves of the people who Barro hated,” Marcel suggests, “A town wouldn’t be punished unless some kind of justice needed to be dealt. I’m thinking we should visit the graves and ask the souls of the people who were wronged what they want.”
“Okay. It’s better than what I’m thinking about.”
“What are you thinking about?”
“Nothing. I want to leave this place and just remember it as some nightmare, but you want to save the town I have to stay with you.”
“Are you sure you want to come with me?”
“Of course I do. I love you after all.”
Marcel and Louis kiss before smiling at one another.
“When this is over, do you want to give the country a taste of our music?”
“I do. It doesn’t matter if we’re on the big stage or a bar stage. I’ll be with you through it all.”
“Let’s get this over with then.”

No comments:

Post a Comment